Cross border without tax sticker?

Not sure about the Malaysian border but nobody has ever looked for mine before when border crossing, whichever way the pages in the rear of your green book prove you have paid the duty.

Koh Khong border crossing with Cambodia, Monster Man and myself got refused exit from Thailand because our road tax was not up to date/ valid in the registration books.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

It only costs 50 Baht for a replacement and it is done on the spot, at least in Korat. Obviously need the green book, I now staple the half of the receipt that comes with the tax label into my book in case I loose it again.

Thanks guys. The border crossing at Padang Besar is so lax you could cross it with a bike without even a passport stamp. (Now that would be stupid)

So no Thai paperwork. Nobody was interested in the bike. Malaysia was the same, but I wanted it to be insured, so I went to the ICP office and asked. The friendly officer jumped on his bike and guided me to an insurance office. They made up TWO number stickers for me and stuck them on for me, even cleaning the area first. It took a long time, but was dead easy. Cost about 40RM for a month. The only other option was one week.

There is a permanent police checkpoint South of the town, but they didn't want to talk to me.

So, all good. Only my bum is very sore.

Thanks guys. The border crossing at Padang Besar is so lax you could cross it with a bike without even a passport stamp. (Now that would be stupid)

So no Thai paperwork. Nobody was interested in the bike. Malaysia was the same, but I wanted it to be insured, so I went to the ICP office and asked. The friendly officer jumped on his bike and guided me to an insurance office. They made up TWO number stickers for me and stuck them on for me, even cleaning the area first. It took a long time, but was dead easy. Cost about 40RM for a month. The only other option was one week.

There is a permanent police checkpoint South of the town, but they didn't want to talk to me.

So, all good. Only my bum is very sore.

It's been a while since I've driven a vehicle across to Malaysia. Last time was in December 2003, which was also my first time! I also crossed at Padang Besar, though on the way back I re-enterd through the main Sadao crossing. Can't remember if they issued temporary Thai export documents, probably they did.

I read that now at the Malaysian border, the Thais no longer issue export paperwork for Thai registered vehicles heading into Malaysia. Is this true? How about on the Malaysian side, do they issue any paperwork? If not, what proof if there of having entered the country?

I have entered Malaysia three times and never had any export paperwork issued by the Thais

On the Thai side there is an office marked for car paper work and I was directed there. I just never went in. So, I assume that the rules haven't changed, but I don't think many people bother going there. Everybody seemed to be just driving through.

On the Malay side there is an office clearly marked "ICP". I was directed there when I asked. They sent me to the insurance office first, where they also made up the black licence plate stickers and applied them. There is a checkpoint south of the town, but they were not interested in me.

Personally, I would not want to ride without insurance. Once you have that the ICP is free and quick, so there is no reason not to get one.

I crossed back at Sungai Kolok. Thai immigration was a pain. Had to queue just to get an arrival card, then queue again at the same window to get processed. Seemed to take forever and the officer was unfriendly, telling me off for not having filled in the departure portion of the arrival card. Well, I wasn't departing, was I?

Again, nobody was interested in the bike. There is a check point on exit, but I followed the bike taxis leaving through the entrance side, so no check point for me.

Unrelated, but part of the trip: I caught a nasty bug in Malaysia and my friend took me to hospital. Had to rest for 2 days, so decided to be lazy and take the train in Thailand. I think that was a good decision, despite the fridge-like temps inside.

Cheers,
Peter.

Back
Top Bottom