CRF250 Rear shock replacement under warranty

Russ McDermid

Bikes
Honda Transalp XL700VA in the UK, and a CRF250L & V-strom in Thai.
Just to let u know I did manage to get Nat Honda to change my rear shock under warranty ....
The bike is 13 months old, 14k km, and the preload had been increased by Nat shortly after the bike was purchased.

On the first visit, they argued a little, asked if I rode off-road, and then suggested I had been jumping the bike (yeah right, I pointed out I was 53 and with a beer belly).
So, into the workshop, a few adjustments later, and back to me .... they had done nothing except maybe push the preload up a little more....
Now I was getting angry (well as much as u dare in Thai), and insisted this wasn't a fix, so they eventually agreed to order one in under warranty and change.

A week later, the shock arrives and I drop the bike off. I ask the mechanic to adjust the pre load up to maximum pointing out this should help matters, and would be a lot easier to do before the shock was installed.
An hour later, all changed, but the preload was still "standard" .... their argument was that this was the cause of the shock failure and they would not do it again.

Honda logic I guess, but I'm sure not right.

Anyway, if your CRF rear end is a little saggy .... don't despair, warranty replacement is a possibility.

Russ

I've got a Thai friend with a CRF250L. His bike is in the shop now, as the rear shock failed. Guess it must be a weak point??

Anybody located an aftermarket shock, i know Race Tech do one but it's like $750

YSS must have something of better quality available locally

Saw a YSS unit in a shop in CM the other day (the box said it fitted a CRF). Box also said it had compression as well as rebound settings but upon opening box could only see the rebound ajuster on unit.
YSS website doesn't list - so email sent.

Is that the one we looked at together Ian..

Back
Top Bottom