CRF muffler operation

Thump

Bikes
'14 CBR500R; '13 CRF250M; '14 MXS125; '09 Nouvo 135
From the first day I had my CRF250M it was clear that something needed to be done to the exhaust. It doesn't sound like anything and it's too quiet. The easiest choice would be to order a slip-on but since I live in Thailand shipping from the US is a killer on top of the $300 to $500 purchase price.
Also I kind of liked to leave the bike looking stock and to keep the plastic heat shield which looks better than a shiny aluminum or titanium can. The good thing about living in Thailand is that if you find the right people and the right shop you can get some real good work done for very little money.

So I decided to go step by step and see what happens.
There's the exit wall with the end pipe, there are two walls in the muffler which are connected by small pipes and then there's the catalytic converter.

CRF250L_Muffler-protector.jp.jpg

I just wanted a bit more sound and volume, no open, roaring race pipe, so I went to a shop and had the wall close to the exit wall taken out. The other wall and two small pipes stayed in. I cut the end pipe short so that it only stuck out to the outside and then closed everything back up. The result was about a 20% increase in volume but the sound was still crappy, like a stock bike. Can't recommend to do this. This is how it looks when you cut off the end wall:

muff 1.jpg

This is how it looks after taking out the first wall with one pipe:

muff 4.jpg

Okay, so the second wall had to go, then there's only the cat in there, see how that sounds! I had a new end pipe made from a 1,25" steel pipe and some holes drilled into the part inside the muffler. The now empty muffler body had only the cat to slow things down and a bit bigger end pipe. Welded it up and hopefully it sounds acceptable! Well it didn't. It was too loud and sounded like a big hollow steel can which it effectively was. At least now I made some noise, I could hear the sound while wearing my helmet. I was surprised that the bike ran like nothing had happened - no hiccups or backfiring at all, just business as usual. Amazing.

Stock end wall and pipe, 1" (Thai version):

muff 2.jpg

The one I had made, 1,25":

exh.3.jpg

Now I decided to go all the way. Cat out, core with muffler packing in! I read up on how other people had done it, some went with a 1,5" core and 1.5" end pipe and locally available fiberglass muffler packing. Several shops here in Thailand offer the complete package for 1,200 to 1,500 Baht. But I wanted heat-resistant high-quality muffler packing which is not available here so I had to order it which took some time to ship and cost more but it should last longer.
Then about the size of the core: the muffler body is 4" at the end wall and 6" at the widest part, that's quite voluminous! This ain't no light, slim, short aluminum slip-on, this is a heavy, double-walled steel body. A 1.5" core seemed to small because then I'd have to make up for the room around it with packing - 2.25" at the widest part, too much! So I decided to go with a 2" core, still enough space around it and a 1.25" end pipe, a bit smaller, should keep the volume down and provide more back pressure. (I've seen some 2" end pipes!)

So off to the next shop, get the 2" core made; the FMF Racing muffler packing had arrived and we're ready to go.

exh.1.jpg

The perforation of the core seemed a bit coarse so I got some stainless steel moskito netting to wrap around it.

This time we went in from the rear, not from the side (note the catalytic converter):

exh.4.jpg

Only the first time we opened the can from the side which I don't recommend:
muff 6.jpg muff 7.jpg

Here a picture of the culprit after extraction:

exh.6.jpg

Then we had to cut the core so it fits into the muffler body. Cut at about 10" to 12" and reweld the shorter end in a slight angle:

exh.9.jpg

Here I already wrapped the sucker and tightened things up with wire:

exh.10.jpg

to be continued

Attachments

• exh.8.jpg
    exh.8.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,609
  • exh.7.jpg
    exh.7.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,036
After positioning the pipe and cutting it to the right length so it fits at the end wall we welded a 1" long piece of 2" steel pipe to the end wall. The 2" piece has to be a bit smaller in diameter than the core so it fits snugly inside:

exh.8.jpg

Now to the fun part: stuff the muffler with packing! This packing sold by FMF Racing is designed for motorcycle exhausts and holds up better under heat. Normal fiberglass or steel wool gets brittle, breaks down and blows out after only a few thousand miles. Since I have to weld things up I want it to last as long as possible.

exh.12.jpg exh..jpg

I stuffed it fairly tight and used one and a half bags - the muffler body is about 18" long without the cat!
Here's the stuffed muffler body, 4" in diameter with a 2" core, and that's the slim part!

exh.13.jpg

Now we fitted the end wall back on and welded it shut.

exh.14.jpg

I've done only about 100 km with the new muffler, it sounds great, really deep and throaty at idle but it barks a bit under pull at higher revs. During the day it's not too loud but at night it may be. Well better a tad too loud than too quiet! :) When I close the throttle it sounds great, it pops a bit but not too much. It also pulls a bit better, not much but enough to notice it.

All in all I'm happy with the result, it sounds better than a 'crapovic and cost me less than $100 in parts and labor.

I can highly recommend doing it this way! I'll put some more miles on it and then take it off again to paint it.

exh.15.jpg

THE END.

Hi Thump, did you test it already? How's the sound, power, torque compare to
the ungutted stock? Thanks in advance...;)

I'm finally happy with the sound, it's a 2" straight-through with lots of muffler packing around the core and I'm glad I went with a 1.25" end pipe.
At first I thought it was a bit too loud, but maybe that's because the stock is so quiet. But when a friend rode it and I heard it form the distance it sounds just right.
Interesting is that the header is 1.25" but then close to the mid-pipe where the heat guard is attached it's only 1". The stock end pipe is only 1".
What I wanted was a better sound, I didn't expect much of a power increase, just a slip-on usually doesn't make a difference.
When I rode it after the operation I was just listening to the sound but later I noticed that it pulled a bit better. Not much, but it felt a bit peppier.
I ordered a new air filter since I read that taking out the metal screen gives it a bit more intake; I planned to cut off the screen of the old one and if I'm not happy I can install the new one. When I saw the metal screen on the one I ordered I had to laugh - I can't believe that it would flow much better without one!
Guess I'll see.

I have kept my backfire screen in place for no good reason other than i couldn't be arsed and fitted a Hurricane lifetime filter and pulled out the snorkel, heard rumours of a 300cc kit being available in Thailand mid April for 10K baht, will keep you posted .

Hurricane Air Filters

Did you feel that the filter and snorkel pull made a difference?

Actually I'm happy with the performance of my CRF; I knew when I bought it that it's not a KTM and I'm fine with that.

It also doesn't bother me that the 300 (whenever it'll come out) will have a few more horses and rather spend the money on a good set of tires.

It's funny that one can be happy with something but as soon as there's something a smidgen better one is not satisfied anymore.

It's like you're entirely happy with your girlfriend but then you meet her sister who has a bigger bust size and now you want her to get implants... :)

Last edited:
Not ridden much because of my wrist fracture but to me it pull's a lot better, as far as the 300 mod i would be interested when i finally sell my trusty KLX and buy the CRF-L.

As for girlfriends i've seen the GF sisters and i think i will stay put, well for a while at least ....:lol3

Not ridden much because of my wrist fracture but to me it pull's a lot better, as far as the 300 mod i would be interested when i finally sell my trusty KLX and buy the CRF-L.

As for girlfriends i've seen the GF sisters and i think i will stay put, well for a while at least ....:lol3

Would you really consider replacing the KLX with a CRF-L Bob?

Well Colin i think i would, i am very happy with the CRF-M , it rides easy and the build quality is better than the KLX IMHO, change the rear shock on the CRF-L and it's a better prospect although the KLX has served me well but the asking price of around 150K for the new as against 130K for a CRF, it's a no brainer.

Unless something else comes along in the 350 - 400cc bracket.

Thump

We are currently building an exhaust and require material for the baffle (core) - perforated stainless tube. Could you please let us know where you got it from and how much it was.

Thanks in advance, Matt

It's kinda hard to describe the shop - they do metal work, things like rain gutters and chimneys for restaurants, made out of ss sheets.

Also these round ventilation things that sit on roofs and turn, driven by the wind, and stuff for boats, covers for the exhausts that go straight up.

They're hammering all day, cutting metal, bending it, welding it and hammering it.
CRF exh cores.jpg
The core on the left has smaller perforation, is 1,5" by 9" but you can bend it by hand easily. Got it from a store that sold all kinds of metal stuff. It goes into the silencer of a two-stroke, probably older 125s. Seemed too flimsy to me. 100 baht.

The metal comes in sheets of maybe a square meter. The one in the pic on the right had the smallest perforation, I wrapped the core with ss moskito net just to be on the safe side. They also had some woven metal screens, really cool-looking, I always wanted to go back and have a closer look at it.

The cores were only 200 or 300 baht, I had two made. They spot weld the seams with what looks like pointed copper rods.

I gotta take some pics next time...

Hope I was of help.

Thanks for the information. I just noted your location - you couldn't be further from me if you tried! I know the sort of shops you are talking about and will find something up here in Chiang Mai.

Cheers, Matt

What are you building? A stock muffler with core and packing or a whole new muffler?

...I ordered a new air filter since I read that taking out the metal screen gives it a bit more intake; I planned to cut off the screen of the old one and if I'm not happy I can install the new one. When I saw the metal screen on the one I ordered I had to laugh - I can't believe that it would flow much better without one!
Guess I'll see.

Yep, and I saw! Finally had time to cut off the metal screen which came off easy with a carpet knife.

I definitely noticed an improvement, nothing major of course but it pulls better all the way through the rev range.

Had a look at the shnorkel but left it in. Maybe I'll put some holes in the side cover, just to see if it does anything, but for now I'll leave it.

I'm happy it has maybe 1.5 more horsies now and don't want to run it too lean. Have to check the spark plug come next oil change.

I rode 5,600km in April and the sound improved. Maybe the flow of exhaust air pushed the packing material into the right spots, maybe a bit of soot didn't hurt; the bike sounds great, deep and throaty but not too loud.
The paint peeled off in the welded areas, that was to be expected, but it's not too visible, at the exit there's the end cap covering things up.
Got an oil change at 6,000km (even though the manual says 1,000 and 12,000, respectively) and pulled the spark plug, it had a nice color, the engine doesn't run too lean.
I'm very happy with the improvement, better sound, a bit more pull, and will leave things as they are.

Time for an update! The muffler started to sound a bit louder, a bit different, and since the packing has been in there for more than one year and about 15,000 km I thought it was time to repack it.
I wasn't sure if the moskito netting would hold up in the heat or if the packing would burn up and blow out, but to my surprise things looked really good in the muffler.
The packing compressed and there was some space around the core which changed the sound, and of course the packing soaked up a lot of dirt.
The moskito netting around the core looked good, but will be replaced.

CRF muffler 1.jpg

The packing got fried when the end cap was welded back on.

CRF muffler 2.jpg

The major part of the packing was not burned, just dirty.

CRF muffler 3.jpg

There was space between the packing and the core even though I stuffed one and half bags into the muffler.
I could pull the core out with the packing inside.
The core was spot welded at the bottom but I guess the vibrations knocked it off.

CRF muffler 6.jpg

I guess the packing compressed because it was soaked with dirt.

CRF plug 2.jpg

The plug looked okay at 8,000 km but now at 19,000 km it shows that the bike was running lean.
I replaced the stock air filter at 12,000 km and besides the muffler the bike is stock.
Looks like a fuel controller is a good idea!

Correction: I didn't realize that an iridium plug has this pointed shape; I thought the electrode has been burned away from running too lean.
I got me a new one (almost 600 baht!) which looks similar but of course cleaner. I guess all plugs will have a slight tan discoloration from running a bit lean in stock condition after 19,500 km.
I'm using the old plug for now and it seems that a fuel controller is not necessary, even though one wouldn't hurt.
CRF iridium plug.jpg < This is the new one.

Correction: I didn't realize that an iridium plug has this pointed shape; I thought the electrode has been burned away from running too lean.
I got me a new one (almost 600 baht!) which looks similar but of course cleaner. I guess all plugs will have a slight tan discoloration from running a bit lean in stock condition after 19,500 km.
I'm using the old plug for now and it seems that a fuel controller is not necessary, even though one wouldn't hurt.
View attachment 37710 < This is the new one.

One can almost hear the sighs of relief from CRF ( L M ) owners . Although i suspect Iridium Plugs arnt all that common a purchase by said owners .

Right, that's why I posted the correction. Lots of owners out there with a slip-on wondering how lean their engines are running...

The plug should last at least 48,000 km, so nothing to worry about.

Down here Honda doesn't have anything in stock, even a new tube takes a week to arrive, so I'm glad I have a spare.

iridium plug.JPG

Back
Top Bottom