How great is this?

972109_524317164271670_770185053_n.jpg

Photo: https://www.facebook.com/ChiangraiCircuitRaceway?hc_location=stream

283650_524144200955633_282999718_n.jpg

947120_523781490991904_2113395505_n.jpg

OK officially w00t w00t...

Shame its not CM but still.. Beggars cant be choosers and all that.

awesome.better get a hurry up on the track bike build then.

Great stuff..... gonna be some fun weekends!

Geez, now I want to bring my M5 up here too.

Shame its not CM but still.. Beggars cant be choosers and all that.

Having grown up near a race track and lived near another later i`m glad that it didn`t go in south of CM as mooted as the noise is a bit full on especially if they have drags at night too.

Sort of thing i`d rather hear from under a helmet :)

Well, that's handy!

The address link doesn't seem to work for me. Think it'll be around here: 19.743762,99.692334

http://goo.gl/maps/gMvwd

Looks like I'll have to go shopping for another bike... :RE

EDIT: There's going to be a hunt on for track bikes.... An r6 would do me nicely!

^ CBR 250 would be ok. Learning to wring the neck/ride the wheels off a smaller,lighter bike is good road race experience.

Na. Last bike I had in the UK was a CBR1000RR mate. Had a zx6r track bike briefly after that too...

I've done a few track days - Cadwell wasn't that far from home.

Quite sure I'd be following you around though!

(A 250 2t could be good - but a cbr 250 would annoy the frik out of me... Actually, would be happy with a Ninja 650 for starters.)

Yeah,Aprilia 250 :)

My race bike was quite light and a bit under powered so a big disadvantage in the drag to the first corner but in it`s element after that.
Extra late braking,high corner speed and ability to get on the power earlier on exit.

Or a mental rg/rd 500! Would like to try - but wouldn't buy. Alway fancied an Aprila 250 - but could only afford the odd dodgy rd350 LC/valve - and an rg250 - back then.

Wish I hadn't sold my Ninja650 last year now... That would have done for starters.

Or a mental rg/rd 500! Would like to try - but wouldn't buy. Alway fancied an Aprila 250 - but could only afford the odd dodgy rd350 LC/valve - and an rg250 - back then.

Wish I hadn't sold my Ninja650 last year now... That would have done for starters.

There was a guy with an Aprilia 250 GP bike at Winton (Oz) when I was there for a track day last December. The thing was wicked.

^ The old 250 GP bikes were blindly fast.

Fastest around Winton on one that i saw would`ve been Jeff Sayle.

^ The old 250 GP bikes were blindly fast.

Fastest around Winton on one that i saw would`ve been Jeff Sayle.

Strewth, are you as old as me?

Probably 555

I raced at the 89 Harvey Wiltshire shield meeting which Jeff won on his 250 against some good competition on RC 30`s and other superbikes.

Not sure what the plans are for the track, but hopefully they'll be some good races to watch too... Sorted. (And just a wee trip out of town for me. Ha!)

I photographed the last Marlboro Series in NZ in '78/79 For REVS Motorcycle News. Sayle and Hansford jumped on their 250s at the Wanganui street circuit for the Open event, because they were faster than their 750s. There was a bit of a delay in the racing after someone in a Vincent outfit wiped his sump plug off on a railway line that ran across the circuit. One of these years I'll find the photos and digitise some.

There's some good ones among them...

From chiangraities: New Race Track at Maeloa- Chiang Rai

Some update-
The track and supporting area is on 30 rai.

There will be 11 turns on the track.

The track will be 1.3 kilometers long.

When the asphalt is laid, people will be able to go out there and test it out (in two months, hopefully). At that time, food and beverage will not yet be available. A full opening is being estimated for sometime during October. Weather and other factors will of course play into how long it takes to fully complete everything out there.

1.3k long... Just for kart racing then? Maybe OK for sumo but, if that's right - I'd figure it's no good for race bikes.

well thats a bit disappointing.I was hoping it was gonna be longer than that.

^ that was my concern too Greg,a 250 might be ok there.

Not suitable for a multi cylinder bike IMO.

On that chiangraities link, there's now a link to a writeup by Ian on, erm... a 'different' motorbike forum...

...It will be for bikes only...

What's the owner thinking? Bira is 2.4k - and even that sounds small to me.

Karts are cool though - if that's allowed... Haven't done any karting since I was a kid - quite fancy...

super moto hooning ;)

Jeez - hang on then... Thinking about this, I should maybe see if I can change my order with KTM Cam to something I could do a su.mo conversion on as well? Was quite happy with 250 for offroad but... They've got a 2013 350 and 450 and I think a 2012 6 day 350... Could pay some more for one of these, I guess. I'd be happy with 450 on track but bit much off road... 350? :hmmOr reckon 250 would work on this size of circuit? I don't know sumo - or sumo conversion. Maybe it costs stacks to do a conversion... Any tips, suggestions?

EDIT: sumo kits here: http://www.motostrano.com/Supermoto...tm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=1820&show=80&page=1

yeh i think phils 450 husky would be the perfect track tool for that

Yesterday on my way back from another info collecting trip with a sprinkle of mapping thrown in, I had a look at the new circuit - Coordinates of its location are approximately: N19.74481 E99.69014 or when you are on the 118, head south at the intersection of the 118 with the 1211 for about 200 meters and then turn right, ride for about 100 meter on a newly made dirt road and you will see it. The circuit seems to be very tight in particular in the last corners before hitting the straight again - probably not very visible on my picture as everything looks more or less the same color

Chiangrai Racetrack drawing annotated.png

Chiangrai Racetrack crop.jpg

On my way back from Chiang Saen popped into the track and the owner was there. Opening still planned for October. Here are some of the pictures.

Overview of the track - direction of racing will be from right to left
IMG_5244.jpg

IMG_5245.jpg

The pit-lane and the track on the left with parking on the right
IMG_5246a.jpg

One of the first curves after the start and I guess, with the curve being quite tight, will be asking for problems with everyone jockeying for the good line
IMG_5243.jpg

The same curve seen from the other side - track width is 8 meter so the radius of this curve is about 25 meter
IMG_5247.jpg

IMG_5252.jpg

The owner also told me that there will be a motocross track right next to the racetrack - some pictures of the motocross track with the racetrack being to the right:
IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

IMG_5250.jpg

I don't think that the neighbors, a church which is less than 100 meters from the track and right in front of the entrance, will be very happy during race-days
IMG_5253.JPG

Big enough for super moto..

And maybe this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...124.1073741825.522526057784114&type=1&theater

10174_540374319332621_1458373505_n.jpg

They keep putting pics of guys going round it on litre s.sports on the Facebook page... I wonder what the owner/developer is thinking?

I'll have to pop take a look sooner or later, but competition karts and sumo - and maybe mini-bikes and mopeds - is all I can see as do-able. Guess you'd be in 1st gear most of the time on a litre bike.

I'll have to pop take a look sooner or later, but competition karts and sumo - and maybe mini-bikes and mopeds - is all I can see as do-able. Guess you'd be in 1st gear most of the time on a litre bike.

Yeah bikes like in the pic and maybe 125 shifter karts would be the most fun,IMO.

Auke ... does it look big enough in the flesh?

To me it looks like it is quite tight but then again I don't ride bikes. Just for comparison here is the drawing of the circuit indicating where I took this picture (was standing on top of the truck with the rim of the straight from the start just visible with the corner where the people are working and the sharp 180 degree turn at the end) and the location of where the people are working

IMG_5243.jpg

Circuit annotated.jpg

Looks very tight for big bikes.

Still all good fun.. Just need to pick a different tool.

Seems to be some differences between "as drawn" and "as built"

Yeah minus the kink pre the curve your looking directly at..

Bit of a dash of mai pen rai ;)

Took a quick look this morning and, yep, I'd stick with what I said above. Wouldn't be much interested in taking a sports bike on it - not even a 2t 250 really. Dunno about sumo - might like that - but my 1st thought was 'karts'... That's what I'd fancy. Would be surprised if it gets any serious use as a sports bike race track.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lone Rider Events & Upcoming Rides 0
Back
Top Bottom