Chiang Rai - Lampang - Mae Sariang - MHS Loop 3 Day Trip 3.6.2018

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Well the plan was to first and foremost stay as dry as possible, which is no easy task considering the weather we have had of late secondly, try a different approach to the loop trying to get off the beaten track where possible.

So 3 day's on the little 250's covering 1256 km here is the loop, I will post gpx files for those who want to explore further.

Day One

Soon leaving the dreaded Hwy 1 and it's speed cameras, we would take our usual route along the 1193 missing out Phayao and its multitude of traffic lights. Pulling onto the 1316 I wanted to take a quick look at the Wat Analayo Complex, but first stopping at Wat Pha Chang Mup, surprising the local monk.

N19.18711° E99.81650°

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Nearby the Wat Analayo Complex is huge, well worth a visit if you have a few hours to spare, with little time we quickly stopped at the Wihan Chaomae Kuan-Im Yok Khao Shrine on the fringe of the complex.

N19.18458° E99.81234°

This place is pretty amazing, although I have visited it several times and never seen a soul there.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

Great view from here to Kwan Phayao Lake.

16.jpg

From there it was onto the 120, and for once clear views ahead.

17.jpg

Then at Wang Nuea turning onto the 1035 heading to Lampang.

17.jpg

Sptted this chap carrying a large basket.

18.jpg

Turned out he had a couple of piglets take away.

19.jpg

Amazing views for this time of year.

20.jpg

Warming up now, pulled over to Bruno Coffee which is run by the Catholic Church.

N18.73216° E99.58145°

28.jpg

Guess they don't get many farangs stopping by judging by the inquisitive looks. Was a great cup of coffee @ 30 baht each, they also do pizza's (next time) and other Thai dishes.

29.jpg

30.jpg

I noticed on my GPS a waypoint for a bridge for motorcycles only, got my attention so a quick detour along a dirt track picturing a nice swing bridge of some type, sadly it was not what I expected and simply a sluice gate.

39.jpg

40.jpg

A liitle further I spotted what could be a good location for some camping just outside the village of Ban Thung Kaow, so of onto to a little dirt to explore further.

218.jpg

Turned out to be a great spot for camping with a swimming opportunity.

32.jpg

N18.54931° E99.49369°

33.jpg

I could see another waterhole on the map, so poked around to see what it had to offer.

34.jpg

35.jpg

Unfortunately, it was pretty disappointing but an interesting trail ahead for another time.

36.jpg

37.jpg

It was getting late in the day so no surprise we had to run for cover from a storm or two.

48.jpg

46.jpg

Unintentional dead dog picture.

45.jpg

47.jpg

An enjoyable ride through Hot, it should be noted parts of the 108 are under construction again and it's pretty messy.

Finally reaching Mae Sariang after 593 km covered and checked in the Huen Kong GH for 600 baht a night, bringing Day one to a close.

50.jpg

51.jpg

gpxviewer_gpx_viewer

Attachments

• 2018-06-03 06:41:02 Auto 001.GPX
    1.7 MB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Good day ride on the CRF 250.
Great to see GPS locations and a GPX file.
Thanks

Cool report. Looking forward to day 2.
Well the plan was to first and foremost stay as dry as possible, which is no easy task considering the weather we have had of late secondly, try a different approach to the loop trying to get off the beaten track where possible.

So 3 day's on the little 250's covering 1256 km here is the loop, I will post gpx files for those who want to explore further.

Day One

Soon leaving the dreaded Hwy 1 and it's speed cameras, we would take our usual route along the 1193 missing out Phayao and its multitude of traffic lights. Pulling onto the 1316 I wanted to take a quick look at the Wat Analayo Complex, but first stopping at Wat Pha Chang Mup, surprising the local monk.

N19.18711° E99.81650°

View attachment 62238

View attachment 62239

View attachment 62253

Nearby the Wat Analayo Complex is huge, well worth a visit if you have a few hours to spare, with little time we quickly stopped at the Wihan Chaomae Kuan-Im Yok Khao Shrine on the fringe of the complex.

N19.18458° E99.81234°

This place is pretty amazing, although I have visited it several times and never seen a soul there.

View attachment 62242

View attachment 62243

View attachment 62244

View attachment 62245

View attachment 62246

View attachment 62247

View attachment 62248

View attachment 62249

View attachment 62250

View attachment 62251

Great view from here to Kwan Phayao Lake.

View attachment 62252

From there it was onto the 120, and for once clear views ahead.

View attachment 62254

Then at Wang Nuea turning onto the 1035 heading to Lampang.

View attachment 62254

Sptted this chap carrying a large basket.

View attachment 62255

Turned out he had a couple of piglets take away.

View attachment 62256

Amazing views for this time of year.

View attachment 62257

Warming up now, pulled over to Bruno Coffee which is run by the Catholic Church.

N18.73216° E99.58145°

View attachment 62258

Guess they don't get many farangs stopping by judging by the inquisitive looks. Was a great cup of coffee @ 30 baht each, they also do pizza's (next time) and other Thai dishes.

View attachment 62259

View attachment 62260

I noticed on my GPS a waypoint for a bridge for motorcycles only, got my attention so a quick detour along a dirt track picturing a nice swing bridge of some type, sadly it was not what I expected and simply a sluice gate.

View attachment 62262

View attachment 62263

A liitle further I spotted what could be a good location for some camping just outside the village of Ban Thung Kaow, so of onto to a little dirt to explore further.

View attachment 62264

Turned out to be a great spot for camping with a swimming opportunity.

View attachment 62265

N18.54931° E99.49369°

View attachment 62266

I could see another waterhole on the map, so poked around to see what it had to offer.

View attachment 62267

View attachment 62268

Unfortunately, it was pretty disappointing but an interesting trail ahead for another time.

View attachment 62269

View attachment 62270

It was getting late in the day so no surprise we had to run for cover from a storm or two.

View attachment 62271

View attachment 62272

Unintentional dead dog picture.

View attachment 62273

View attachment 62274

An enjoyable ride through Hot, it should be noted parts of the 108 are under construction again and it's pretty messy.

Finally reaching Mae Sariang after 593 km covered and checked in the Huen Kong GH for 600 baht a night, bringing Day one to a close.

View attachment 62275

View attachment 62276

gpxviewer_gpx_viewer
Cool report looking forward to seeing day 2

Day 2

After a quiet night at the Ching Ching an early night was in order, the next morning was a trip up the MHS, but again if the opportunity arose explore a little, with a planned detour around Khun Yuan.

GPX File at the foot of this post.

Total today 350km

The beer in the Ching Ching was nice and cold.

20180603_194402.jpg

Here is our route. Total of 350km covered

219.jpg

After a quick gas up it was northbound on the 108, not the most interesting road to begin with but the strong connections with Myanmar clearly evident.

Approaching Mae La Luang I noticed what I thought would be a great picture opportunity of the Mae La Luang river, well it turned out to be this :sneaky:

Not to be outdone the village did have this lovely Wat!

As I mentioned the first part of the 108 isn't that inspiring but it does have some lovely views.

One of the nicer sections.

We had already decided to detour off the 108 taking in the1337, it's been a while since I was this way and was surprised how good it was.

Surprisingly good.

Reaching Ban Mae Ki was another chance to get off and explore a little, Mae Ki is a cute little village paved mostly.

Asked some locals where the various tracks went to, they said we should turn around but to hell with it.

Turned out the dirt trail became a mixture of dirt and concrete so it was obviously well used, so we pushed on a little further.

Even the dirt was well graded, off the gps now really hoped it would bring us back on the 1337.

220.jpg

Finally, it dropped down into a small village called Mae Kor.

Location N18.62585° E97.84946°

A Christian graveyard the missionaries had been here before.

The village was spotlessly clean, I wondered if it was a Karen village.

As expected a very nice Christian church.

r

Amazingly a guy stopped and spoke perfect English, he told us to the right was a Purple Lao village (never heard of such a tribe) and a dead end, to the left the road simply circled back the way we had come in. I would later find the trail would infact circle all the way around to the 108 so that's for later.

Map of the village.

221.jpg

The village even had its own recycling scheme in operation.

Just a note the village has no shops or gas drums.

So reluctantly we made our way back to the 1337.

Dropping down into Mae Ki village once again.

Huge amounts of timber in the main Tesaban, not sure of the sign, the Thai is welcome but the English I don't understand?

Back on the 1337, the paved section continued, the village of Piang Luang ahead so a little detour.

Surprise surprise another Christain Church in what is otherwise a very poor village.

A typical house in the village.

Back to the 1337, many small villages tucked away in the hillsides.

Sadly being right on the edge of the Doi Wiang NP anything outside was up for deforestation.

This village proudly displaying images of The late King and Queen Sirikit.

Reaching a small complex of buildings used for vaccinations.

The junction opposite showed a dead end, but the sign said a school was ahead some 4km, so worth another look some other time.

Location N18.77842° E97.81654°

Reaching the village of Pratu Muang, a had a beautiful Shan style Wat being constructed.

Location N18.80960° E97.84782°

This carved wooden Buddha was beautifully done from one piece of timber.

Impressive timberwork.

This image on one of the main columns I presume placed by the family of the deceased girl.

Looks like the craftsmen involved with the Buddha has some more projects in hand.

The village has a small shop with a fuel drum.

Located N18.81107° E97.84826°

Saw these drying outside the shop, have no idea what they are.

Passing the large new police station is the junction of the 1337 and the 3007, we headed north, I recall this was dirt a few years back but was amazed it was paved.

Fortunately it didn't last long and it turned to gravel.

Couldn't figure this place out if it was military or not, either way, it had a commanding view.

Nice quick surface only slowly by livestock.

After around 10km it becomes paved again.

Reaching the military checkpoint the turn to the left takes you out to the army camps and the Myanmar border.

Doi Wiang Wildlife Preserve indicated we are close to the 108 again.

Coming back onto the 108 at one of the best twisty sections to bring back a smile, but not before stopping at Wat Mae Surin for a few pictures.

Located N18.91260° E97.94378°

Clouds moving in time to push on to MHS and a stop and the old Shan temple, sadly closed to visitors.

Located N19.24436° E97.94346°

As it was getting late in the afternoon, no surprise we had to duck for cover as a storm went over us, some time for a nap.

338.jpg

336.jpg

From there we decided with it being low season it was unlikely Pai would be overrun with twatpackers so we headed to Pai and the Pichai GH now charging 400 baht a night and a very nice Indian curry on walking street.

Pichai GH Located N19.35701° E98.43999°

20180604_175013.jpg

The curry place on walking street.

20180604_195627.jpg

gpxviewer_gpx_viewer

Attachments

• Selected Data from Mae sariang mhs poking.GPX
    2.1 MB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Thanks Paul, I think you gave me a gpx file of a trail just SW of the small wooden church that brings you back tot he 108.

Thanks mate, one of the stock effects on my Olympus TG 870, produces some nice shadows on stonework and stuff.

Well after a belly full of curry and a few Snowy beer's to wash it down, it was an early start to try and avoid the maniacs on the 1095.

Day 3

Total 293km.

GPX file at the foot of this post.

224.jpeg

The 1095 was abandoned so stopped at the friendship bridge and had a quick blast across.

146 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

147 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

The original plan was to detour when possible, the 1095 was tempting but done it to death.

148 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Reaching the turn at the NP checkpoint located at N19.27819° E98.60348° this trail has had issues in the past where the banned riders coming through, this time no questions asked.

223 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

149 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

The sign indicates a campsite at 65km, but I've never been able to find it.

150 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Up to the viewpoint, the road is well paved and no problems.

153 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Some minor road improvements before the point.

156 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

The viewpoint is well manicured as you would expect.

157 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

158 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

324.jpg

From here the road begins to deteriorate, concrete strips to begin with.

164 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Then turns to dirt as you reach the first village of Ban Nam Dang.

169 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Bad picture but never seen this before the sticks had bird feathers in them, presumably a Lisu thing to ward off evil spirits from the village.

170 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Leaving the village its all roughly graded dirt with some terrific views.

171 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

172 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Traffic jam ahead.

174 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Traffic mounting up, so we rode the trail tot he left to a fantastic viewpoint and camping area with a good water supply.

176 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Panoramic views from the top. Located at N19.32133° E98.64246°

177 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

178 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Definitely on my list of camping areas this dry season.

310.jpg

179 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

The views kept getting better and better with clear skies after the rains.

180 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

181 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Getting a little more washed out as we descended into the valley.

182 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

The first of three small stream crossings ahead.

184 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Going for the big splash.

185 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

This was a little deeper than it looked.

186 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Cracking trail now, great views, no traffic excellent.

187 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

188 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

The last stream crossing coming up had some rather large rocks as somebody would find out later.

Located at N19.35987° E98.67702°

191 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

You did have an option to cross this cute bridge but wheres the fun in that.

192 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

193 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

I crossed and waited for Des to follow, sadly he decided on a different line and the large white rock you see was his nemesis.

308.jpeg

196 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

197 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Boom, down like a sack of spud's, of course, I was blamed afterwards, but it did cool him off.

198 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Again I am thinking Lisu make this shelter.

201 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Crossing the Mae Taeng river to the village of Ban Muang Khong.

203 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

The village is beautiful with a very nice Wat and fuel available.

204 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

205 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Cosy riverside home.

208 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Onto the 3232 now and fully paved all the way.

209 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

210 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Some stunning views of Chiang Dao range.

212 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

213 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

A multitude of spirit house's as we neared Chiang Dao cave.

215 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

304.jpg

From there we hit the 1150 and home, but not before stopping for a nice cool drink, a very enjoyable three days riding and views to die for and we stayed dry :D.

gpxviewer_gpx_viewer

Attachments

• Selected Data from Mae sariang mhs poking.GPX
    1.7 MB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Well, the sign may say 65 km but it should probably say 6.5 km. Before you reach the viewpoint, there is a track to the left which brings you to the camp grounds. Their map also shows the camping ground near the viewpoint and head quarters.
Capture.JPG

Thanks Auke, I thought the same but didn't see a camping sign at the headquarters, it would be a great camp spot though.

I always assumed the Camping place was on the lower terrace near the headquarters. Right of your photo here

42662297701_2fb42b327b_b.jpg

Thanks, Great picture and report...

I took the big bike out with Moto Mama a couple weeks ago to Pai. Had a great ride, will post as soon as I get some time.

This little guy was one of the highlights... Some kids get to have all the fun :)

IMG_5580.PNG

I always assumed the Camping place was on the lower terrace near the headquarters. Right of your photo here

42662297701_2fb42b327b_b.jpg
Have you camped there before Mark, i can imagine you would get good sunrise pictures there.

Not camped there. Only passed by a couple of times. It's an absolutely stunning location. I don't tend to take photo's but it's a location that is etched in my memory. I've not seen tent's pitched to be honest but I can't imagine what else it would be if it's not the camp site and I guess driving down would account for the .5 km extra

I think you can camp at the lower plateau below the viewpoint but the 'camping' is just a bit further down the road.. Some nice pine trees and an eastern sunrise view from the upper section.. Theres a road barrier on what I think is the through rd, not tried further as was in the 2wd truck.

Last time I went there though there were really grumpy park guards at the bit coming off the Pai rd.. 400b farang price and no amount of smiles, basic Thai, driving license, pink card, anything was working.. Annoyed me as I wasnt camping and only wanted a 10 minute pop to the viewpoint.

Sefton, It's a great spot, claimed 1700 metres, I have been this way before and Flatley refused entry way back when they totally banned dirt bikes on most NP trails, this time no issues at all, maybe we caught them by surprise as it was still pretty early. A place on my list for sure, but the spot I waypointed a little further would be a better choice with panoramic views and no issues with fire's at night time which is a big plus for me.

BTW nice to see you back on the forum.

Back
Top Bottom