Chiang Mai - Pai - Shan state

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
A long overdue ride report, dating from last December.

The idea was to go back on the amazing trail along the Thai-Shan border north of Pai I found with Alex USA exactly a year before (pictures thumbnails seems to be lost, but clicking on them still shows them):

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/trail-riding-reports/1300-shan-state-three-days-off-tarmac-around-pai.html

Planned route was to go to Pai on the first day, avoid as much tarmac as possible and then from Pai up north along the border and riding into Shan state for a bit.

Riders: Alex UK and myself, both on our reliable yamaha WR250F

DSC_0151.jpg

Nothing special has to be said on the way to Pai, the usual trails. Here is the best route I've found so far, it includes the single track to Mae Rim, then the bamboo trail to the Mok Faa waterfalls, 10km of tarmac then off again on dirt almost all the way to Pai.

Fucking awesome bamboo singletrack (it's so good I had to swear sorry):

Bamboo trail goes something like this:
mokfaa.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

Overlooking the nice wide open trail:
DSC_0163.jpg

Nice and clear day, blue skies and fresh air... I've been missing it lately!

We noticed a few people driving around with a lot of birds, no clue what this was about... Were they catching them for resell?

DSC_0191.jpg

Taking a break to enjoy the scenery:
DSC_0154.jpg

Arriving in Pai all the rice fields were bright green.

DSC_0229.jpg

We took the eastern dirt to Pai, which is a bit more fun (more single trails). One is through a forest and very slippery, not the fastest / easiest way but more diversified.

papae.jpg

This is it for the first day to Pai, second day into Shan State coming later.

Also have a lot of goPro video from both Alex and me, should sort this out a bit and upload some bits.

Here is the gps file of the first day

GpxViewer

Attachments

• 2012-12-29 10.51.04 Day.gpx
    884.5 KB · Views: 298
Hey Max, me and 3 other frens from Sg are flying in and we were planning a off road trial of sorts like yours but only to Pai and Mae Hong Son. Can i get some pointers from you?

We are totally noobs with the local trials but wanted to do such an adventure on the 5&6 May 2013. Things like fuel stop, food, water and terrain condition, etc are tops on our mind. So perhaps you can enlighten me ya? Or is there a guide, someone you can recommend to us?

Let me buy you a beer at Phil's joint if you are free one of these nights. Do let me know Max

Thanks in advance
Jay

Bloody terrific mate, nice pictures and video looking forward to the gpx files :cool:

Taking off the second day from Pai following a nice and long single track from Pai to Muang Noi.

pai.png

(will edit and post some goPro footage from the trail)

In Muang Noi refuelling and taking the tight single track north parallel to the wider dirt road.

MuangNoi.png

DSC_0193.jpg

Very small trail in the middle of the forest, wouldn't particularly recommend doing it in the rain season, very dense vegetation:

DSC_0194.jpg

After that a bit of wider dirt road all the way to the checkpoint

DSC_0186.jpg

At the checkpoint it is important to talk your way in. I've come across it 2 times and got through twice.

checkpoint.png

From there ride north in the woods all the way to a fence that indicates the border.

DSC_0209.jpg
Alex riding along the border.

It is a very nice ride, fresh wind blowing and very open area. Not sure about the elevation but it is the highest you can get in the area.

View from the trail:

DSC_0220.jpg
Warning signs saying you shouldn't be there between 8pm and 6am (also don't drive over 20km/h but who cares?).

DSC_0211.jpg
In Shan state at last. No roads, cars to be seen around here.

DSC_0218.jpg

Next village:
DSC_0215.jpg

After a while we thought it would be wiser to turn around and get out before we got stopped.

Along the trail:

On the way back, with the nice late afternoon light over the forest.
DSC_0221.jpg

Not a single mechanical issue on our bikes. Here in the evening light just before coming down to Pai:
DSC_0223.jpg

Here is the gpx of the second day:

GpxViewer

Attachments

• day2.gpx
    1.5 MB · Views: 290
3:06 to the end are from this ride:

Uploaded gpx files, and here a few more pictures from Alex:

IMG_0133.jpg
Cold morning in Pai.

P1020882.jpg
Clear skies and very green scenery.

P1020899.jpg
Alex posing in a Shan village.

P1020922.jpg

P1020891.jpg
Hilltribe women on the side of a truck road.

looks like a very nice ride, been riding around Pai for quite some time also from phang mapa- wiang hang and Pai song nge.
But this is a new one sure like to try, thanks for the post, nice videos!

Back
Top Bottom