KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Chiang Mai eyed for F1 track

Bangkok Post Online
Published: 28/06/2012 at 09:19 PM
Online news:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... d-f1-track

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa will propose the construction of a Formula One race-track on land close to the site used for the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2011 in Chiang Mai.

Mr Chumpol on Thursday said his ministry would conduct a feasibility study on building an F1 circuit near the Royal Park Ratchapruek in tambon Mae Hia of Muang district, which is used to host the annual international horticulture exhibition, in the hope of bringing one of the world’s most popular and lucrative sporting events to Thailand.

Chiang Mai had been selected for the project because the ministry aimed to make optimum use of the property surrounding the flora expo site, which generated revenue for the Highland Research and Development Institute (Public Organisation) - a state enterprise that supports research and development of royal projects in highland areas in the North.

The selected site had good road conditions and was located far from residential areas, he said.

“Chiang Mai has vast areas to build grandstands [for the F1 track] and a rich natural environment. It has a good selling point,” the minister said.

Spotted by 2wheels

Yes!!

I can picture it now.

Thanks 2Wheels & Phil for posting this.

Ally

If they ever build it (which personally I don't hope) the area where Ally lives will be hell during race days.

Well the land I want to build on is out that way and sure there would be issues at busy times but come on.. A track, on our doorstep, a major quality one.. Well you not going to get me against it.

I tend to think its another one of those pie in the sky dreams that will need lots of committees and research grants, but Thailand is lagging some of the regional neighbours for race meets, and they maybe want to gain some face by bringing events here. CM is ideal in its a developed area yet with cheap land, that location is within minutes of the airport, it is well serviced by road connection to the airport and its not really a bad location / plan. You would have thought the land out in the rice flats between doi saket past sankampeang and to saraphi would be cheaper but if they already have government land ear marked I can see the argument.

Jobs, increased land values, lots of business opportunity.. Plus for motorheads a quality playground.. And race meets.. A hangout for petrol heads from all over.. A track, on the doorstep.. I love this guy !!

If there was a chance in hell hes got my (missus's) vote.. Chart Thai Pattani or BJJ ?? I lose track with those slippery archers ;)

Certainly would be a major coup for Thailand and CM to get a F1 race and the track and infrastructure to go with it.
It all sounds a bit too good to be true and would certainly need a heap of money and organisation to get it up and running.
But the benefits for the area would great.
Asian bike championships,World Superbikes and MotoGP would all be possible if they could get the F1 race up and running.

Certainly hard to see them pulling it off but you can only hope.

Back
Top Bottom