Border road along the Thai-Myanmar border west of Doi Pahompok

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Border road along the Thai-Myanmar border west of Doi Pahompok

While at the Horizons Unlimited meeting I talked with a guy who had done the border road a few weeks ago and he mentioned that he did not see the collapsed part of the road. He gave me his GPS tracks and these showed that indeed he had been there, so what happened with the collapsed part?

Early this morning I set off to investigate - started from Ban Mae Laeng Mai up to the border (Rd. 1314). At the junction I was stopped and asked to pay 50 Baht as an entrance fee by the Rangers of the Doi Pahompok National Park

IMG_3444_zps743ce346.jpg

MapBorderCollapse_zpsaed35d84.png

Map of the route taken along the border

Found the road much worse in comparison to my last visit a few years ago - quite a few potholes but the worst were the ruts in the road - some were quite deep and from time to time they were running across the road so you either had to back up or take the plunge and cross them to find a better piece of road.

IMG_3448_zps178ed245.jpg

IMG_3452_zps058066e2.jpg

Somewhere halfway along the border road the Doi Pahompok National Park has created a place where the bird watchers and others can stay with a campground, toilets, etc. Watch out and drive careful as the roads are quite narrow and there is very little traffic on the road (saw 4 cars of bird watchers and 1 bike) so it is easy to forget that there might be others on the road.

IMG_3461_zps342d0c77.jpg

IMG_3462_zps6b2ab2ba.jpg

IMG_3463_zpsb432527d.jpg

IMG_3455_zps61f408a5.jpg

The Doi Lang Campground

IMG_3464_zpsc44b662c.jpg

IMG_3458_zps3c3365e7.jpg

View from the Campground but the haze is starting already to "block the view"

IMG_3465_zpsf6c9371d.jpg

A Myanmar Army base on the next mountain ridge

Collapsedroad-PicturebyCaptainSlash_zps57896b46.jpg

The old road with 2 large gaping holes and only a strip of half a meter wide where bikes could pass if the rider was brave enough

Viewofthecollapsedroadin2004.jpg

View of the road in 2004 in Google Earth

IMG_3466_zps7f080df9.jpg

IMG_3469_zpsffaa94a6.jpg

IMG_3468_zpsfaef31a3.jpg

The road as it is now - they have filled in the holes and built up the sides of the road so a car or truck can pass without any problem. No pavement yet but I assume that it will be added in the near future although all the road builders and their equipment were gone.

On the way back I wanted to take the Norlae road but no luck - it seems that the road is offlimit to everyone with the exception of about 200 people/vehicles. The army guys have a list with the names, etc. and if your name is not on the list they won't let you through.

Seeing those roadslips on that road repaired was something I was never expecting to see, the ruts in the road were not there on my last ride two years ago.
I mentioned the new toilet block on that trip and guess that is where the camp ground is.
No money was required to ride along here back then http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...-burmese-border-around-fang-24-11-2010-a.html

Last year I rode along Norlae with no problems at all on a freshly resurfaced road but I guess another year and a different set of rules applies http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/captain-slash-reports-thailand/1054-north-fang.html

The ruts and potholes in the road were only at the northern end of the road. Once past the settlement (actually only a few houses near the bridge) while coming from the north, the quality of the road is much better and it is a joy to ride.

Auke, thanks for reminding me of this lovely route, rode it today not a soul to be seen apart from a bunch of Farangs in a Fortuna, get up there quick before the smoke comes and spoils the spectacular views, easy riding my pal rode his Versys with no problem at all.

Last week i tried to go this road which i been a few times but the army say no. I can drive a few hundret meters after doi Lang camp and from the other side up to the checkpoint and they also say no.
then i tried the way down from Nor Lae (Doi ang Khang), impossible too. I talk with the soldier but he say this time can not.

That's a shame it has a great campsite up there.

Back
Top Bottom