Early Morning Peace and Border Roads

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Another day and another trip this time to Fang, Doi Lang and the border roads- again an early morning departure with the fog still lingering over the ricefields
IMG_4875.jpg

Wat Thep Nimit Nuntaram on Rd 1001 was my first stop to have a look at their bell tower. Wasn't really impressed with it as it looked like having put there as a kind of afterthought - but at least the views were nice from the main temple grounds
IMG_4879.jpg

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

Next stop was Wat Phrathat Sunantha (N19.11473 E99.00863) - very nice looking temple but it was clear that money was not one of their problems with a big Mercedes Benz and a new Toyota van in the garage.
IMG_4888.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4891.jpg

IMG_4893.jpg

One thing it had going for it so early in the morning was the peace and quiet with no noise other then from birds in the forests around it. Sat there for a long time soaking in the quietness and thinking about everyday life and all the things and bickering which are going on among the biking communities "back there"

Behind the main temple, a new development is going on, again with no money spared
IMG_4897.jpg

IMG_4902.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

One of the new window shutters in the new part of the temple - partly still wrapped in plastic
IMG_4905.jpg

The Hindu deities Ganesha and Shiva (I think but not sure about that so please set me on the straight path in case I have it wrong) in its separate quarters
IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4901.jpg

IMG_4900.jpg

Cruising along the 1346 I found a sign for the Nong Krok Hot Spring with a small shrine which was considerable less opulent than the temple I just came from. The hot springs were completely deserted but the local government had done a good job not only to spruce up things a bit but also maintaining it
IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4908.jpg

Further on Rd 1346 I spotted a sign which I could not read, so time to explore - it turned out to be a meditation cave and although there was only 1 monk and 1 lay person, they indicated that from time to time there wre more monks and hermits residing there.

IMG_4926.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4925.jpg

IMG_4922.jpg

IMG_4923.jpg

Next stop was Fang and Wat Phratat (N19.90555 E99.15154) - another temple without money problems and with its own coffeeshop and back-up generator
IMG_4929.jpg

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4941.jpg

From here on it was more of "reality on the ground" with military checkpoints, interrogated what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go, checking everything in the car and being photographed together with the car and noted in many big books.

Checking wat I had in the car and being entered in the big book (and later on being noted again that I had left the area) on the road northwards along the border towards Doi Lang
IMG_4944.jpg

IMG_4945.jpg

The border road with nature trying to retake the road
IMG_4978.jpg

IMG_4960.jpg

IMG_4963.jpg

IMG_4969.jpg

IMG_4982.jpg

View from the Doi Lang Ranger station and Campgrounds in the Doi Pahompok National Park
IMG_4947.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

This is Thailand
IMG_4968.jpg

and that ridge next to the road is Myanmar with a close-up of one of the many Myanmar army camps on the ridge
IMG_4966.jpg

IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4971.jpg

Barbed wire fence along the border indicating in Thai, English and Burmese that this is not the border but just a barricade - the border is probably just a few meters away to the west
IMG_4979.jpg

The repairs of the collapsed road are still holding up well but we are still very early on in the rainy season
IMG_4972.jpg

IMG_4975.jpg

This is how the road was last year before the repairs has taken place (photo Captain Slash)
Collapsedroad-PicturebyCaptainSlash_zps57896b46.jpg

see also http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...ng-thai-myanmar-border-west-doi-pahompok.html for a report of my previous trip to the area

A picture for Captain Slash - and yes the Mae Mao reservoir and mini-hydro power project is low on water
IMG_4981.jpg

From here it was uphill to Doi Angkhan with 3 military checkpoints to negotiate to take the direct route up to Norlae. The Norlae road is only open from 7-10 in the morning and from 4-6 in the afternoon but it is also quite often offlimits to all - the last time I was here - January 2013 - I was not allowed on the road
IMG_4985.jpg

IMG_4987.jpg

At the last checkpoint I was aked if I wanted to see their camp and they radioed ahead to let me in - not a big deal though as there were quite a few local ladies selling their trinkets right at the Army Camp

View from the Norlae military base with the Khoa Hua Lon Myanmar army base on the next hill - in between these two there is slightly to the left the Pa Kee Myanmar army camp
IMG_5004.jpg

Map of the border area - the blue star indicating the No Lae army camp I visited is on the other side of the road and right smack on the border
IMG_4988.jpg

The Khoa Hua Lon Myanmar army base with porters bring in supplies which they bought in Norlae in Thailand - there was one guy in Myanmar army uniform with them but when I stopped to take a picture he became decidely unfriendly so decided to be the wiser of the two
IMG_4989.jpg

It was quiet on the border so this guy took time to paint his quarters to camouflage it so it will blend in with the surroundings
IMG_4991.jpg

The Norlae (Thailand) base very close to the Pa Kee Myanmar base and the gate which keeps them apart
IMG_4992.jpg

IMG_5000.jpg

IMG_4993.jpg

Bamboo markers indicating degrees on the compass so the guys in the trenches can tell the guys with the big guns where to point them. There were quite a few other gadgets to help them pinpoint directions but did not take pictures of these.
IMG_5001.jpg

From here it was home to Chiangmai with a quick look at Doi Angkhan where it was very quiet - only 2 cars at the parking area and most of the ladies selling trinkets were sleeping in the shadow
IMG_5005.jpg

Ban Luang on Rd 1340 which runs paralel with Rd 1249 for a short while
IMG_5006.jpg

Viewpoint along Rd 1340 (N19.76642 E99.01124) with the view to the west and to the east
IMG_5011.jpg

IMG_5010.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5008.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg

Well, not directly related to the whole topic but this was in the news yesterday about rich temples and their abbots.
Staring confidently at the camera from behind designer sunglasses, these Buddhist monks have left the path to enlightenment 9,000m (30,000ft) below them. Relaxing in deep leather chairs in a private jet, they’ve clearly reached a higher plane than the rest of us. However, the presence of a Louis Vuitton travel bag just out of shot suggests they have more earthly appetites to satisfy.

The YouTube film clip, which emerged earlier this year, has led to a clampdown by Thailand’s Office of National Buddhism. The jet-setters come from the Khantitham Temple in Sisaket province but it is not clear why they were on the jet or where they were going.

Monruedee Bantoengsuk, an administrative officer at Khantitham Temple in Sisaket province, confirmed to The Associated Press that the monks on the private plane lived at the temple but refused to give details about the trip. "We can explain this, but not now," she said, saying that the abbot, who appeared in the video, is currently on a religious tour in France.

The images from the video contrasted with the abbot's message on the temple's homepage that read: "The true core of those who preach Buddha's teachings is to not to own any objects at all."

"When Lord Buddha was alive, there wasn't anything like this. There were no cars, smart phones or cameras, so the rules were much simpler," said Nopparat of the Office of National Buddhism. "While the monks need to keep themselves abreast of new knowledge, current events and technology, they are restrained to choose the appropriate tools."

Great pictures and info Auke, you certainly get around. You've just reminded to make time to spend a night at the Doi Lang campsite before the rain sets in and spoils the views

Super up-to-date report on that sensitive border area & some nice artistic shots, thanks Mr. K

auke nor lae.jpg
Map Copyright RideAsia.net - All rights reserved

IMG_4981.jpg

Very low water indeed Auke and I have never seen it that low before

Great report, thanks Auke. I'd like to do a run up along there when I get the little KTM back to CM

Back
Top Bottom