BMW F650GS

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Posting this on the off chance somebody is looking for a project bike to restore, although it's in pretty good nick already.

This bike resides in Wiang Chai in Chiang Rai I have noticed it around for several years, by chance, I called to the owners shop to get a weed wacker repaired and he mentioned he wanted to sell it. He is asking around 100k baht but will accept offers of 90k or less.

The bike shows 27k km which I believe to be correct, not sure of the year but has a real green book.

Mechanically looks and runs well, forks seals leaking a little but I think that's just dirt, also the rear sprocket is starting to hook.

If your interested PM me and I will pass on the guy's number.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1072f.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1072e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1072d.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1072c.jpg

It has a new owner, transfer after my trip to Shanghai.
Thanks Bob!

It will need some TLC.....

Some details, first owner was a foreigner, second owner the location where Bob spotted it.
Actually, both previous owners are from the same area near Chiang Rai.
Bike book registered in 2001, the cases show 2000 and indeed the 27xxx. km on it seems very real.
LRM_EXPORT_20180602_125651.jpg

Lets see if the original BMW cases and tankbag can be cleaned up and repaired.
LRM_EXPORT_20180602_143714.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations with your new ride and I hope that the cases and the tankbag can be brought back to almost original state.

Thanks LR, the tankbag came out OK from cleaning, will need to have some new elastic straps but further it's fine, age considering, it is the vario type.

To somewhat my surprise the hard cases are of the vario system also, there is an internal locking mechanism that allows the side cases to expand.
Too bad I only noticed after cleaning, now some more cleaning to do :)

The plastic silver colored plates on the covers, are damaged beyond repair I think, I will try to get these plates off to see what is beneath them.
The left side case has some damage from the hot exhaust, I think this can be fixed with a hot air gun.

In Germany is a shop that still sells these cases new, almost 500 Euro a set.
They have the inner bags in the clearance sale too, 68 Euro each.

The BMW vario cases extend by 5,5cm.
On the picture the damage to the aluminium covers is visible, I will bring the lids to an automotive shop for repair and possibly painting them black or silver.
LRM_EXPORT_20180603_134703.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the new bike. You should have a blast on that. I always thought these the ideal bike for exploring about over here. Light enough you can get it back up if dropped, awesome Rotax reliable motor, can go down dirt as well as pavement with not much fuss. Good luck with your new ride.

They are very reliable, I rode 110,000 km from new on mine with no troubles at all

The BMW is at her new home, TLC time during the rainy season.

Just found out it has a speedometer in miles, the previous foreign owner told me the original one in KM died but the mileage is correct.....

Hope it all works out Marcel it's a sweet bike.

Bob, even if worse comes to worse I can scrap it and sell the parts and the book, I will still make a profit :giggle:

Further updates will be posted under a separate thread so this classifieds topic does not get off topic.

Back
Top Bottom