Birding

Oops sorry think my link to RA is broken found this Twitcher's site by accident :-)

My mac must need a re boot

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sorry Bob... this is actually a trainspotting website....

Incidentally, given the paucity of birds in much of Asia, it'd be nice to gather some info on what can be seen and where

Checked today and they're just about 'done'.

DSC03324.jpg

And I've just returned from the local market where I saw a guy selling little
'spinning birds' on a barbecue! Alas, despite many reminders to myself, no camera!

Just saw some Minivets, maybe scarlet minivets, on Doi Suthep.
I dont know if they're rar, but beautiful birds, Male is Yellow, female red (or other way round)
Of course I forgot my camera, but they look like this
Borneo_3161_20120218_Sepilok_Bird_ScarletMinivet_webembed.jpgscarlet-minivet--female.jpg

I think they hang around the same places, so u might be able to see them if u went there
Also was beautiful seeing the cloud inversion on the way down

What a lovely species. We had a few brief moments of sunshine today and I noticed the King Parrots and the Rainbow Lorikeets checking out the nesting sites in our yard.

Here's a Red-wing parrot. I've only ever seen one in the wild... on my way from Sydney to Asia. It flew out of a low bush and then along the track in front of me on Cape York. web-sourced photo

FF390mw.jpg

No, I am not a birder but I was doing some research for the "Laos Provinces - What to See and Do" posts and found this during my search. It may or may not be of interest to the birders among us. It is a site where they store pictures, sounds and videos of bird sighting in various countries/areas. This is the link for North-West Thailand with 521 videos, 204 pictures and 42 sounds.

North Western Thailand, Thailand | the Internet Bird Collection

Thank you Auke.

(Oh, rumour has it a 'Fishing' thread is about to commence.)

This was a Cormorant of some sort that flew over us while we were headed down the lower part of the Mekong

Not Kevin.

Rare species found at Doi Saket Market today.
'Nok Barby'.

DSC08981.jpg

Actually, ex 'Nok Kutah'.

DSC08982.jpg

A small snakes worse nightmare. A stork in the neighborhood. Alex I can confirm the Minivets on Inthanon are usually fluttering about. Get off yer bike and stroll about and their bright colors make them easy enough to spot for even the casual observer. Pretty creatures to break up the green of the canopy.

The last one is definitely a Chinese Pond Heron, the second one is some sort of Waterhen, a Crake or even a Rail but without more detail I couldn't be sure.

As for the 1st one, I couldn't suggest which of the birds of prey that is :(

Great pics Phil

Ally

The first one I thought might be a Peregrine Falcon ?

The last one is definitely a Chinese Pond Heron, the second one is some sort of Waterhen, a Crake or even a Rail but without more detail I couldn't be sure.

As for the 1st one, I couldn't suggest which of the birds of prey that is :(

Great pics Phil

Ally

Agreed. The first one is an eagle or large hawk. The middle one might be some kind of Jacana, or as Ally says a rail or crake.

One from the verandah yesterday. The Rainbow Lorikeets are nesting in my back yard

Incidentally, given the paucity of birds in much of Asia, it'd be nice to gather some info on what can be seen and where

For those interested in birding here is a site with birds, bird sounds, etc for the Nahin area (Konglor area) on Rd 8 in Laos. They mention the Mituna GH but the last time I was passing by that it was closed but a good place to stay (if you have your own transport) is the Sainamhai resort a bit south of Nahin and on the way to the Konglor Cave.

The birding info can be found here: Birding2asia. Bare-faced Bulbul birdwatching info for Na Hin Forest in Laos. Actually, there is a lot more info on other areas also on this site - see the links on the top of the site.

Good link, thanks Auke

I did see there a 3 legged Brown tit. I don't manage to get that close , the wife tends to scare them away.

2 birds I've seen several times here are probably the Emerald dove
emerald_dove-01.jpg
which flies off the track as I approach with an irridescent green back,
and the
Green-billed Malkoha
tumblr_me18yvyeXh1rkcweko1_1280.jpg
I only see when its getting dark, like a large cuckoo with a long wedge-shaped tail, white/grey spots down the sides, flitting between trees looking for prey. There is also a noise in the air, similar to a nightjar, but I cant tell if they are the same bird

We saw an Emerald Dove coming back from visiting the Huey the other day... in the hydro power area. I used to have them in my aviary in Oz

Scarlet Minivet

Honest Guv !

By the time I got the bike to stop & get the camera out the pretty thing ducked behind the bamboo leaves - Bugger!

Almost as good as 'The Bigfella's' big black eagle against a bright sky ;)

IMG_1606.jpg

Screen Shot 2557-05-24 at 17.01.56.png

This is what it looked like before it got a bit shy.

Male-scarlet-minivet.jpg

look like cranes phil.
Ally, where was the minivet?
dr.jpg
Here's a Drongo and a Bee Eater, at Huay Tung Tao
be1.jpg

Great to have chanced on this thread. I too am into bird photography.

http://www.pbase.com/996sps/birds_of_thailand

show cases some of the shots that I took way back in 2009 whilst birding in Thailand. Come November when I do that ride up North I shall be doing a recce trip to return perhaps in Feb 2016 to see what all the Doi's have and I am sure I will see loads!

Two taken by my brother today, with my camera

1539274378390.png

1539274400684.png

Always checking the grounds.

DSCN3529.jpg

DSCN3671.jpg

Dark-backed sibia
Bird
1539354579585.jpeg
The dark-backed sibia is a bird species in the family Leiothrichidae. In former times it was included the black-headed sibia, H. desgodinsi. Together with most other sibias, it is sometimes separated in the genus Malacias. It is found in China, Myanmar and Thailand. Wikipedia

Scientific name: Heterophasia melanoleuca
Higher classification: Heterophasia

Last edited:
Long queue at the bird table a couple of days ago. I stock it daily with bananas and papaya & other edible scraps.

IMG_1184.jpg

Always checking the grounds.

View attachment 64738

View attachment 64739

Dark-backed sibia
Bird
View attachment 64756
The dark-backed sibia is a bird species in the family Leiothrichidae. In former times it was included the black-headed sibia, H. desgodinsi. Together with most other sibias, it is sometimes separated in the genus Malacias. It is found in China, Myanmar and Thailand. Wikipedia

Scientific name: Heterophasia melanoleuca
Higher classification: Heterophasia

Ron, I just realised you are possibly suggesting your black & white patrol guy as a sibia. Afraid thats not quite right. Your patrol guy is an Asian Magpie Robin.

Here is a sibia that was sat at your table in June 2013 ;)

Doi Inthanon with Ron

Hope you like the memory Ron :)

Screen Shot 2561-10-23 at 12.15.41.png

Nice one... but since when did Americans ride on the left and have Australian Magpies?

Back
Top Bottom