Ban Pakkhad Restricted?

Nightrider70

Bikes
DRZ400SM
I crossed the border from Thailand to Cambodia at Ban Pakkhad on the 12th for a VISA run. The staff at the Thai customs told me that Pailin is a "special ecomomic zone" and if I enter at Ban Pakkhad I am not allowed by the Combodian customs to leave the zone with a bike registered in Thailand. My VISA was not restricted, the bike was. On the Cambodian side they confirmed what the Thais had told me.

When I exited the next day the Cambodian customs asked if I had been in Battambang. I said no. They said good, othervise I would have broken the rules.

When I was back in Thailand I drove up to the border crossing in Ban Laem and asked if they had such rules. One "helper" guy called Cambodian customs and they said from there you can go and exit anywhere in Cambodia.

The officials also told me that it may be the same in Hat Lek in the future.

Anyone have any info?

All the "I have passed here many times and never had this problem"-people can save their fingers and keyboard, I have also passed this crossing before without any issues like this.

I went to Ban Laem today for a VISA run and a short Cambodia ride. When I went to Thai customs they told me pretty much the same story as at Ban Pakkhad. If you enter with a bike registered in Thailand you can't go more than 5 kilometers from the border crossing they said. I got permission to go and talk to the Cambodian customs and they said the same thing. Cambodian customs also said that if you enter at Poipet you can go everywhere in Cambodia. I had a "fixer" with me to translate, the very same guy who checked with Cambodian customs only two weeks ago, he was surprised too.

I crossed the border from Thailand to Cambodia at Ban Pakkhad on the 12th for a VISA run. The staff at the Thai customs told me that Pailin is a "special ecomomic zone" and if I enter at Ban Pakkhad I am not allowed by the Combodian customs to leave the zone with a bike registered in Thailand. My VISA was not restricted, the bike was. On the Cambodian side they confirmed what the Thais had told me.

When I exited the next day the Cambodian customs asked if I had been in Battambang. I said no. They said good, othervise I would have broken the rules.

When I was back in Thailand I drove up to the border crossing in Ban Laem and asked if they had such rules. One "helper" guy called Cambodian customs and they said from there you can go and exit anywhere in Cambodia.

The officials also told me that it may be the same in Hat Lek in the future.

Anyone have any info?

All the "I have passed here many times and never had this problem"-people can save their fingers and keyboard, I have also passed this crossing before without any issues like this.

Ban Laem/Daung is restricted and no vehicles can enter in either direction. Ban Pakkard to Pailin is OK and I saw many Thai vehicles in the whole area there just 2 weeks ago. Going beyond Pailin may indeed be a problem. Hat Lek to Koh Kong is OK at least by car - you can drive wherever you want. No idea about motorcycles, but according to the information on the wall at Thai customs, there is nothing to suggest motorcycles are restricted from crossing but I have never seen any cross - only cars.

I have been told that the border was 'this province only' at Koh Kong, Poipet (that one became a drama) and Dom Kralor or whatever that Laos / Cambo one is.. Having done some of them multiple times you would get different answers on different days, depends on their moods, if they want a bribe, or your reaction to them.

Each time once I was past the border I just kept going.. Cambodia doesnt have any effective vehicle tracking system and every cop makes it up as they go along every time. Its a constant shitfight with them, whatever you do they will say its illegal so just do what you want and fight it out, ignore them, dont stop.

does anyone have info of crossing at Chem Yeam ,south of Trat_? was planning to be there in a couple of weeks.thanx

Back
Top Bottom