Selling a Vietnamese bike in Bangkok

Winkz

Bikes
Honda win
Hi,

I'm planning to cross the border from Laos with my Vietnamese motorbike (a cheap honda win 100cc). I would like to sell it in Bangkok, but I'm wondering if it's legal. And if it will be easy or not.

I've seen a few viet bikes advertised on internet, so I guess it's possible somehow. Will the next owner will have to pay a fine at the border to leave the country ? Or have potential issues with the cops in Thailand ?

I've been looking for answer on this forum already, but I can't get this one. Thanks in advance for helping.

Not sure if it is possible but you may have problems getting it over the Lao-Thai border into Thailand due to its small bike size. If possible, you normally are allowed to keep the bike in Thailand for 30 days but after that the new owner will have to pay a fine before he can re-export the bike into Laos or Cambodia. Re-export has to be done within a six month period whereafter the new owner may have the bike confiscated by the customs people.

Seems to me that you have a much better chance if you sell the bike in Laos as there are often foreigners who want to go to Vietnam and buy a bike there. Advertise it here or at the other forum and probably also on the tourist forums like Thorntree at Lonely Planet or on the Lao Forums like Vehicle for sale and rent in Laos

Thanks Lone rider,

Is't it possible to extend the export visa every 30 days, and do it with the new buyer when I sell it ? I managed to find a traveler interested to buy it.

Is there a cost to renew the export motorbike visa ? Do they ask money (or deposit money) at the border ? I can't find any information about the price.

No deposit money at the border as far as I know. Yes, you can extend it every 30 days at the Customs Office but it takes some time. Not sure if there is an official payment to be made to get the temporary import period extended but sometimes the customs people are not very helpful and you may have to pay a small bribe to get their signature for another 30 day period. However, this can only be done for a six month period and after that, if the bike is still in the country, customs can seize it. If you re-export the bike after the six month deadline you will be fined 1000 Baht a day with a maximum of 10000 Baht. More info here:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/red-tape-border-crossing-requirements/796-storing-foreign-reg-motorbike-more-than-6-months-2.html

and here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/red-tape-border-crossing-requirements/92-temp-importing-foriegn-reg-mbike-into-thailand.html

Short answer is NO. First of all, can you even bring a Vietnamese registered bike into Thailand? I've asked Thai and Lao customs at various border crossings and the general concensus was due to a lack of an agreement between Thailand and Vietnam on cross border traffic, normally the Lao side does not allow Vietnamese registered vehicles to exit except if entering Thailand on an official tour. I have heard anecdotal reports of crossings at the Chong Mek crossing by Vietnamese registered motorcycles (mostly bigger ones) but they required a "caravan" document from the Vietnamese authorities before the Lao customs officials allowed them to leave.

Even if you manage to get your Vietnamese registered bike into Thailand, selling it here is a big no-no. It will cause numerous headaches and I would not want to imagine how the police will react to such a strange number plate and request it's temporary import papers especially since the bike can only stay in the country for 30 days at a time. Please sell the bike in Vietnam for piece of mind.

Actually I would like add a comment from personal experience , not guess work.

I purchased a Vietnam plated Yamaha Nouva from a traveller in Thailand. It was not in their name , it had the correct Thai temporary import document in the travellers name.
I paid and received a hand written receipt, the import papers, original Vietnamese registration (in a Vietnamese persons name) , original Vietnamese insurance paper and a photo copy of the travellers passport and Thai visa.

I left Thailand on the said scooter with no problems, the Thai side only wanted the Tempory Import paper , nothing else. The Cambodian side nothing, and travelled on into Vietnam with no problems. So in my mind if you want to use the motorcycle for further travel, go ahead. All you can loose is a cheap scooter.

The problems come if you want to keep it in Thailand for a extended period, that also from previous experience of overstaying for 14 months with a Cambodian registered KTM. But that is another topic.

Actually I would like add a comment from personal experience , not guess work.

I purchased a Vietnam plated Yamaha Nouva from a traveller in Thailand. It was not in their name , it had the correct Thai temporary import document in the travellers name.
I paid and received a hand written receipt, the import papers, original Vietnamese registration (in a Vietnamese persons name) , original Vietnamese insurance paper and a photo copy of the travellers passport and Thai visa.

I left Thailand on the said scooter with no problems, the Thai side only wanted the Tempory Import paper , nothing else. The Cambodian side nothing, and travelled on into Vietnam with no problems. So in my mind if you want to use the motorcycle for further travel, go ahead. All you can loose is a cheap scooter.

The problems come if you want to keep it in Thailand for a extended period, that also from previous experience of overstaying for 14 months with a Cambodian registered KTM. But that is another topic.

I don't think it is legal to sell a Vietnamese registered bike outside of Vietnam and especially in Thailand it could cause numerous difficulties. You didn't have any problems, but it's not officially allowed. Vietnamese bikes are so rare in Thailand if you do get stopped by the police there could be trouble.

I would strongly recommend NOT purchasing or attempting to sell a foreign registered bike in Thailand.

Winkz

Have you actually done this trip yet ?
Can you update us on how you got on?

Im interested on how easy it was for you to get your Vietnamese moped into Laos
What border did you use ?
How many days did you get on your import papers ?
i guess you went in and out via different borders .

Was you trip a success

Many thanks
Dave

Winkz

Have you actually done this trip yet ?
Can you update us on how you got on?

Im interested on how easy it was for you to get your Vietnamese moped into Laos
What border did you use ?
How many days did you get on your import papers ?
i guess you went in and out via different borders .

Was you trip a success

Many thanks
Dave

I would just like to point out that since foreign registered motorcycles will be banned from entering Thailand starting on June 27th, what the OP planned to do / another poster has mentioned about riding into Thailand on a Vietnamese plated bike will soon no longer be applicable. Selling a foreign plated vehicle, without paying a huge import tax is also impossible, not to mention technically the law won't allow it since foreign imports must be new.

Getting into Laos is another matter. I have heard of some problems coming in on a motorcycle from Vietnam though it depends on the border crossing. Things change all the time so a more recent update is needed.

Back
Top Bottom