Around the bend riders stopping by a bar in..... Nan.

MartinThai

Bikes
'97 H-D Electra Glide, '91 H-D FXRS, '96 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin
Just back from a short but terrific few days blat over to Nan to meet Kitchen King Tony and do the Santisuk/Bo Klua Loop.... great to meet you at last Tony.... a kindred spirit indeed! We had a great time, many thanks for your hospitality, and we will be back, soon!

DSCN1863.jpg

We had a great day out doing the 250(ish) klm loop by way of the 1169, 1081 (bloody marvelous ridge riding), 1350, 1333 (crap road surface), 1257, 1225 and 1168 (super surface and twisty bits, this stretch will bring a huge smile to any scratchers face!) and then the next day hoofed it over to Chiang Rai by way of the infamous 1148..... and I actually managed to complete it this time, despite dropping the AT while doing some "off piste" pissing around at the site of my knee shattering corner 11 months ago!

DSCN1853.jpg

DSCN1861.jpg

DSCN1866.jpg

Below: "Martin's Corner"..... about 20 klm short of Chiang Kham on the 1148.... this is where the fun and games ended 11 months ago..... I remember looking at the hill (for way too long) on left with the dead straight track leading up to the top and thinking "that'd be a bit of a crack, take a putter up to the top for a photo op" and when my eyes re-joined the road I was already in that damn right hander but still going straight! That was when I thought "Fuck it, I'm not gonna make it, if I try to I'll probably broadside into the concrete posts and do some really nasty damage to the bike, I'll go through 'em and trust to luck I have a soft landing!" As it was I clipped one of the posts and shattered me knee..... ancient history now.

Anyway, I digress.... this time around we stopped (to morbidly look for old bits of Africa Twin and bone shards) and I got me chance to do the "puttering up to the top for a photo"..... and promptly dropped the damn bike! So I guess if ya wanted to be really anal you could say I must be the only person to come off the same bike on the same bloody corner of the same road..... 1 year apart!

DSCN1867.jpg

DSCN1875a.jpg

Anyway, no harm no foul, it's all good fun, and if ya cannot laugh at yourself for tumbling off a bike on a bit if dirt doing zero mph, than you're way too serious!

All in all a great few days, and if you are ever in Nan you have GOT to try Tony's cheese and ham topped chicken schnitzel with mashed spud and black pepper sauce..... it's awesome!

Cheers all!

DSCN1851a.jpg

DSCN1859.jpg

Glad to see you are back on the road Martin and it sounds like you enjoyed the trip

Probably one of the best riding trips you can do in north Thailand if you're a serious rider, great to see you out on the AT again, how fast is Greg in the corners on the hypermotard?

Bleedin' fast fast! Bloody good job I had Dave to act as a buffer between us most of the time as he's learning to use the gears through the corners and kept us at normal pace..... I did find myself behind Greg at one stage and the old competitive spirit just automatically kicked in and I was bloody flying! Less than 10mm chicken strips on an Africa Twin! Had to calm myself down as, in the words of wisdom from ol' sage Aussie Steve on his postie bike.....

"I still think I'm as good as I always thought I was!"

:jump

Back
Top Bottom