All Lima Sites (LS) in Laos with link to Google Maps.

Oddvar

Bikes
CRF250L-CRM250-Beta 270-CB650F-Valkyrie 1520
Here is a link to all LS sites in Laos.
I found them on the link at the top of either spreadsheet. I just converted all GPS positions to hyperlinks.

The links do not work in this window. I have attached 2 spreadsheet files.

Open office format
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/131479929/GT Pic/Misc/Lima Sites Laos.ods?=dl

Excel format
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/131479929/GT Pic/Misc/Lima Sites Laos.xls?=dl

Click the link and your "Save as" should pop up.
A easy and quick reference to the LS sites.

Oddvar, big thank you for all the hard work but unfortunately there is a small problem with the list. The Lat/Long data on the Angelfire site is in the Degree/Minute/Second format and it looks like that you used the degree format and as a result the location is quite a bit off. It should be possible to convert the coordinates to the DD MM SS format ans I might give it a try later on.

Yes, that is where the sites approximately should be considering that the Lat/Long data was converted from the US Army UTM format

Need to remember that when the Lats & Longs were written down by various Air America, CASI, and USAF pilots, this was well before the GPS era, early and mid 1960s in most cases. Thus, the Lats & Longs may be well off the actual location.

Sam Thong, LS-20, is a good case in point. Firing up the GPS Visualizer (neat, hadn't seen that before) show the indicated site well west of the actual site, which is on that NW-SE dirt track which is now the road, just on the east side of the pointy karst sticking up in the air. The strip is at: 19.18362 x 102.88823

And, here's another source for the Lima Sites, shown on the old 1:250,000 scale maps:

Maps of South East Asia - Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia 1965 - 1975

Mac

Thanks for pointing this out. It was a quick job. (To convert dd mm to dd.mm just multiply the mm with (100/60).

Both work sheets is now updated accordingly.

I am sure many of these positions are not correct. I just pick up the positions from the web page at the top of the work sheet.
The position of one end of the runway is different from the other end.
I guess these positions are good at pointing you in the right direction though.

Yes indeed, Thanks Oddvar it looks like many of us are going to be busy this dry season.

Back
Top Bottom