A Timely Sea-Change

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
For a birthday gift I was given a return AirAsia ticket Chiang Mai to Phuket by a very dear Thai friend.
(I won't divulge my age, but The Beatles did immortalise the chronological landmark a few decades ago!)

DSC03981.jpg

And it was time for us to see some of this ...

DSC04031.jpg

... and this.

DSC04038.jpg

I checked into the Kata Villa at Kata Beach.
Bike parking is a bit precarious but the Villa is an excellent venue and only 800 baht for an adequate room during High Season.
Good restaurant, friendly staff and excellent bar and pool.

DSC04057.jpg

DSC02736.jpg

Opposite is the Ruem Thep, which is on the beach-front and also an excellent venue at 800 baht ...

DSC03987.jpg

... especially if you can get room #33 which has this view along the beach (now somewhat polluted by beach chairs and umbrellas) but you'll receive a gentle sea-breeze throughout your slumber and you'll 'drop off' to the sound of waves splashing onto the beach.

DSC03984.jpg

Ruam Thep also has a good restaurant right on the beach.

DSC04052.jpg

So here's Kata and Karon.
Why anyone would deliberately prefer to stay at the relatively noisy, crowded, smelly and crass Patong when there is Kata or Karon or Kamala to choose from is a mystery to me. Maybe many don't know the vast difference. Maybe this will help.

DSC02853.jpg

One of the first things was to hire a set of wheels.
I found an outlet just up the hill from Kata Villa and got this PCX150i for 350 baht (including a full tank of fuel).
The guy didn't need to keep my Passport and that's why he got my 1050 baht for the three riding days.

DSC04153.jpg

The first thing I noticed this time (not having been to the area for 3 years) was the increasing number of Russian tourists and venues that cater for them.
I was told that Pattaya is trying to discourage Russian tourism, where-as Phuket is encouraging it.

DSC02855.jpg

There were also a massive number of Chinese tourists here this time, like this pair of modern young newly-weds communicating over lunch.

DSC03985.jpg

Apart from the beach life, there is also a vast number of excellent fresh seafood restaurants to choose from.
I preferred the ones along the Kata/Karon esplanade, especially 'Halle Hallo'.
Yes, food (everything actually) is much more expensive in Phuket than in Chiang Mai but, hey, it's only a rare treat for me.
No way could I afford to live in the area though.

DSC02738.jpg

So, being a good tourist, the visit after an afternoon on the beach, was The Big Buddha.
Luckily, although it was drizzling with rain, Big Buddha was visible.

DSC03991.jpg

DSC03995.jpg

DSC03994.jpg

For 1000 to 3000 baht you can leave a message on a small or larger tile and this, supposedly, will be used in the construction of Big Buddha.
Some commit a message of hope ...

DSC02770.jpg

... whilst others have a more pragmatic sentiment!

DSC02769.jpg

And as we departed the clouds arrived.

DSC02768.jpg

This is what the site will eventually look like.
(Built to commemorate the adored King of Thailand's 80th birthday).

DSC03998.jpg

Good to see wind energy being utilised.

DSC02846.jpg

Another benefit of wearing a cheap Seven Eleven rain coat!

DSC02774.jpg

Then back to Kata Beach for more surfing (rough and strong waves) and local delights.
Squid stuffed with pork.

DSC02847.jpg

DSC04074.jpg

DSC04079.jpg

DSC04080.jpg

DSC04018.jpg

But is there anything that says, " I am soooooo HAPPY " more than a dog running freely on a beach?

DSC04089.jpg

We went to the Phuket Aquarium ...

DSC04000.jpg

... and noticed the entrance fee discriminated against foreigners, as is so wide-spread in Thailand.
Non Thais are not supposed to notice that the Thai fee is 50 baht and the Foreigner fee is 100% more.

DSC04001.jpg

This is their attempt to justify the discrimination.

DSC03999.jpg

I had a polite and open chat to the Manager about this.
Her response was that it is the Board's decision not hers and she added a new (to me) take on it; that is, the normal price is actually 100 baht and Thais get a 50% discount!
The place actually has a Complaints Box near their souvenir shop (significantly, not near the ticket office!) and one category on the Complaints form is "Equality", so it seems they are actually aware that this is an issue.
But don't hold your breath for anything to change, here or elsewhere throughout Thailand.

Phuket Aquarium, and all places in Thailand who discriminate against us for being 'Farang', this is especially for you :katand :topes

So, they wouldn't accept my Thai Driving license which meant I didn't go into the place.
Instead I walked around outside and spoke with some friendly Muslim people and took in some scenery.

DSC04009.jpg

Then onto the PCX and off to Kamala.
The last time I was here the locals were desperately recovering from the Tsunami and it was good to see things, seemingly, back to normal, albeit with too many emotional scars still being endured every day.

DSC02893.jpg

DSC02892.jpg

DSC02895.jpg

I found this track which looked inviting, so rode it to the beach hoping to find it quiet and clean.

DSC02936.jpg

Well, it was fairly clean but some clown thought everyone within a 10km radius needed to listen to the Hip-Hop' crap belting out from his Black Vigo's speakers.
So I stopped for just this photo and retreated to civilisation ...

DSC04120.jpg

... which I found just past this monkey ...

DSC04126.jpg

... at the lovely 'Poo Maa' restaurant/massage place.
Pleasant, friendly people run this humble little place.
Good food too.
And no loud Hip-Hop!

DSC04128.jpg

DSC04127.jpg

DSC04137.jpg

DSC04134.jpg

Then it was off to the Surin area, past this mosque.

DSC02904.jpg

But I needed to 'hit the waves' back at Kata, so I did a U-turn and followed the beach past Kamala and rediscovered the delightful 'View Point' restaurant ...

DSC02910.jpg

... which offers this view back to Patong and Karon/Kata.

DSC04070.jpg

DSC04066.jpg

Riding towards Karon.

DSC04139.jpg

And this Ducati Monster (and T-Max) were for rent at Karon, the Duke for 3,100 baht per day including insurance.

DSC04141.jpg

As usual, I had fun with some menus and signs.

DSC04010.jpg

DSC04047.jpg

DSC04046.jpg

DSC04045.jpg

DSC04044.jpg

Refreshed and revitalised, but low on funds, it was time for the final hours on the beach.

DSC02721.jpg

DSC04104.jpg

DSC02728.jpg

DSC04041.jpg

DSC04112.jpg

And a final splash in the pool with Captain Morgan whilst waiting for the Airport taxi.

DSC04117.jpg

So what do I think of the PCX150i?
Perfectly adequate little bike, which handled the local hills admirably.
Beautiful silky smooth engine.
Rock hard seat! (for me)

THANKS FOR AN EXCELLENT BIRTHDAY PRESENT GOLF.

Attachments

• DSC02875.jpg
    DSC02875.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 199
For a trouble-free airport transfer service Mr Joe is excellent value.
Punctual, careful and good conversation, with excellent local knowledge.

" For your airport transfer to KATA VILLA on the 4. October 2012 I can suggest you contact Joe at "www.jc-transportphuket.com Transport Phuket" <jc.transportphuket@gmail.com>

Best regards
Axel "

Kata Villa100 Karon Road
83100 Phuket
Thailand
info@katavilla.com
www.katavilla.com
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/axel.t.pedersen
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kata-Villa/126790414075408?bookmark_t=page
Foto Gallery Kata Villa:
SlickPic - Katavilla's Gallery

Good photos Ron and apart from the hip hop crap it sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed the trip

Great report there Ron, love the menu selection. I can see you have been training your eye with excellent subjects to tease every palette, mixing a bit of everything within the one trip report !

:)

Ally

Thanks Ally, Stokes70, Captain and Phil.
Will make that an annual event.

Great report. Thanks Ron. You didn't happen to find the phone I lost in Phuket, did you?.... and yeah, I stayed in Kata too.

Thanks Mike and BigFella.
(Yep, found your phone Ian; you have some exotic numbers there!) :DD

It's not only the aquarium.. The gibbon rehab place, the national parks, etc etc..

Down there they don't care if you have Thai license or address.. White face, pay the farang price, tourist or resident same.

Yep, it's widespread throughout the country.

And it's an old issue which disturbs some of us 'Farang' yet not others.

Personally, I took the issue up with the Tourism Authority of Thailand a couple of years ago in relation to the Chiang Mai Zoo.
Then followed that with a letter to the appropriate authority in Bangkok.
After three months waiting I actually received a detailed reply which say, in summary;

1 it is written in Thai legislation that government-run organisations can legally charge non-Thais more than Thais.
(I can't see that ever changing, regardless of what colour government we have here).

2 it is in fact ILLEGAL for non government organisations to charge 'Farang' more than Thais.
What's more there is a group who say they will investigate incidences of pricing discrimination within the private sector.
I was given a phone number, an email address but no personal name to contact in such cases. (I have that on file here somewhere).

So, having at that time stayed in a Bangkok Hotel which, I discovered, charged 'Farang' more than Thais/Chinese for the privilege of being a guest
I contacted the good folk whom, I was told, investigate such complaints.
Guess what?
That was three years ago and I'm still waiting for a reply!

For those interested in this issue here is some relevant correspondence.
(My emphasise)

Letter #1

"
> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:26:05 +0700
> From: info@tat.or.th
> To: me
> Subject: Re: Discrimination against 'farang' in Thailand
>
> Dear Mr. Lister,
>
> Thank you for your e-mail dated 12 June, 2008, in which you brought to our
> attention the unscrupulous practice of the tiered pricing system. In this
> regard, we would like to inform that the issue of different prices has also> been one of our concerns, especially in major tourism destinations.
>
> In general, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has been able to promote our
> country's various aspects to foreigners interested in the Thai way of life,
> traditional culture, etc. This has resulted in a large number of people
> selecting Thailand for their holidays or like yourself taking up residence for
> the long term. In addition, we aware that incidents such as this could tarnish
> and result in a negative image of our country as a whole. We are therefore
> deeply concerned that this issue has not yet been resolved even though TAT in
> collaboration with the tourism-related private sector has tried various methods
> to do so.

>
> In realising the serious gravity of this practice, we are attempting to submit
> this matter for the Government's consideration for the establishing of measures
> in which we hope for a resolution in the near future with the equality in
> pricing for everyone.

>
> Once again, thank you for raising this issue. "
>
> Best regards,
> Information section
> E-mail: info@tat.or.th
> Tourism Authority of Thailand (www.tourismthailand.org)

That was the last I heard from them and I don't know if a submission was prepared and submitted.
Given the massive political turmoil around that time, I very much doubt it.
But today I asked.

Letter #2
In relation to private establishments
Information from TAT April 2010

"Current legal guidelines on pricing stipulate unequivocally that there can only be one price charged for entrance/admission fees and that this must also be prominently displayed upfront.Businesses are, however, granted the freedom to undertake marketing and promotional activities, and may for example legally offer non-discriminatory group discounts.
Thailand abides by internationally-recognized consumer protection practices. In the event that an individual consumer feels that they have been subject to unfair business practices, these grievances can be filed with the Consumer Protection Board for Thai nationals or the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Office of Tourism Development for visitors to Thailand.

Reporting unethical practice
Tel/Fax: +66 (0) 2216 6512 "

E-mail: co_service@tourism.go.th

And who-ever was at the end of that email address never replied and I got shuffled around when I phoned and gave up after spending too much waiting time and money!
But
there is, in theory, a contact.

(Letter #3 refers to the legal right to charge 'Farang' more .... still searching for it)

Found it!

" PRICING POLICY AND GUIDELINES FOR TOURISM ATTRACTIONS IN THAILAND

The pricing policy and guidelines for tourism attractions, both public and private, around Thailand are all based in law.
There are specific legal guidelines that apply for natural and cultural attractions under the supervision of the various state agencies belonging to the Royal Thai Government
versus those applicable for tourism attractions that are wholly-owned, funded and operated by private sector operators. Any changes to these laws are a matter for parliamentary deliberation,
and not for the state agencies charged with their correct application.
* Pricing guidelines for natural and cultural attractions under the supervision of the various state agencies under the Royal Thai Government

The pricing for natural and cultural attractions supervised by the various state agencies belonging to the Royal Thai Government, and funded by the national budget,
are governed by ministerial orders and announcements issued by the respective ministries based on various acts of parliament that have already been promulgated.
The spirit of the law assumes that natural and cultural attractions, including sacred and historic sites, nationwide are part of the national heritage, belonging to all Thais equally.
The provisions set out in the ministerial orders are designed to ensure fair and equal opportunity for each and every individual Thai to have access to national treasures,
and the natural and cultural heritage inherited from their forefathers.

The rationale underpinning existing legislation argues that each and every individual of Thai nationality is an equal stakeholder within the community.
Fair and equal access must be granted to all Thai nationals, regardless of their social and economic status. Entrance fees to such attractions must therefore be made affordable for Thai citizensfrom all walks of life.
Thai citizenship is determined by the presentation of a valid identification card issued by Thai district or provincial authorities.

National parks and natural heritage sites come under the supervision of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment's Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.
Places of cultural or historic importance, including archaeological sites, come under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture.

An example of existing legislation is the National Park Act 2504 BE (Buddhist Era) for natural attractions under the supervision of state agencies under the Royal Thai Government.
NATIONAL PARK ACT,
2504 BE
-------------------
BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX. NATIONAL PARK ACT
CHAPTER 3
Protection and Maintenance of the National Park
Section 18. Any person entering the national park must comply with the order of the competent official given in compliance with the rule prescribed by the Director-General and approved by the Minister.
CHAPTER 4
Miscellaneous
Section 23.

If the Director-General thinks it appropriate to require from the public any payment for services of facilities given by the competent official in the national park,
or to require any person to pay a fee or remuneration for permission to carry on any activity or to sojourn therein, he is empowered to fix the rates and lay down rules concerning
the collection of the said service charge, fee or remuneration, with the approval of the Minister.

Money collected under the preceding paragraph, funds donated for maintenance of the national park, fines accruing from settlement of the case conducted by the competent official
under Section 28 and other kinds of income shall be exempted from any tax or duty, and kept as the expenditure for maintenance of the national park according to the rules and methods prescribed
by the Director General and approved by the Minister.

"Director-General" means the Director-General of the Forestry Department.

In the case of temples and shrines, Thais do not regard these sites as tourist attractions. They are sacred places of worship they visit to practice their faith.
Places of worship in Thailand of all denominations are generally open to the public at various times of day and welcoming. Most happen to be Buddhist.
Buddhist practice embraces all individuals and does not exclude the participation of individuals who are non-Thai or non-Buddhist.

All visitors to Thailand who wish to learn more about the country and its culture, Thai customs, tradition and Thai ways are welcome to witness and experience all aspects of Thai life
up close and personal. It is hoped that their experiences are positive and memorable, and that they will be happy to make a small donation to help keep alive Thai customs and traditions, and generally support the country's cultural heritage.

Fees charged and voluntary donations go towards the maintenance, conservation and care of the sites.
In the case of Thai citizens, their share of the contribution to the state budget is made through the payment of income tax and regular payment of other forms of indirect taxation.
The payment of entrance fees, where applicable, is therefore in addition to the payments they have already made as taxpayers.

Following the establishment of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports in 2002, various regulatory duties have been transferred from TAT to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Office of Tourism Development.

Contact information:
Ministry of Tourism and Sports Office of Tourism Development
The Office of Tourism Development
National Stadium, Rama I Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand.
Tel: +66 (0) 2283 1500
Web site: www.mots.go.th
For specific enquiries, or to report specific incidents, please contact the Ministry or state agency responsible for overseeing the particular attraction directly.

* Pricing guidelines for tourism attractions that are wholly-owned, funded and operated by private sector operators

Current legal guidelines on pricing stipulate unequivocally that there can only be one price charged for entrance/admission fees and that this must also be prominently displayed upfront.

Businesses are, however, granted the freedom to undertake marketing and promotional activities, and may for example legally offer non-discriminatory group discounts.
Thailand abides by internationally-recognized consumer protection practices. In the event that an individual consumer feels that they have been subject to unfair business practices,
these grievances can be filed with the Consumer Protection Board for Thai nationals or the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Office of Tourism Development for visitors to Thailand.
"

Reporting unethical practice
Tel/Fax: +66 (0) 2216 6512
E-mail: co_service@tourism.go.th

Back
Top Bottom