A few weeks in Southern Laos

CraigBKK

Bikes
Honda CRF 1000L, 300L, SH 150
Bangkok - Pakse

This trip began a few days later than planned due to something getting into my trouser leg and feasting whilst riding in Chiang Rai the previous week and causing it to inflame. Being cautious (old age getting to me) I waited until the inflammation had gone before leaving for Laos.

I took the 20:30 night train from Bangkok’s Hualamphong station to Ubon Ratchathani, arriving as usual about an hour before in time to load the bike on the train. The ‘Parcels’ booth is past the final platform (12) and between the road. The price of the 2nd class, lower sleeping berth was 741THB, the price of sending my bike, a Honda CRF250L (weighing 160kg as per the green book) was 1082THB.

DSC03719.jpgDSC03720.jpgDSC03722.jpgDSC03724.jpg

VOA at the Lao border at done at counter 5, collected at counter 6. Several Lao insurance companies located directly behind counter 8 where the bike entrance documents are processed. I paid 40,000Kip for 14 days insurance with LVI. As per my last trip to Laos I asked for a 30 day stay with the bike and was granted it. About 200m past the immigration office you must stop at Customs (N 15.12932, E105.47150) to get your document stamped

DSC03728.jpgDSC03729.jpgDSC03730.jpg

After border formalities I rode to Pakse and got a room at the rather unremarkable, but centrally located, Khantixay Guesthouse (N 15.11925 E 105.81488) next to the sport’s stadium. Rooms with air for 100,000Kip, 70,000Kip for fan.

DSC03731.jpgDSC03732.jpgDSC03733.jpg

Behind the central market are a few motorbike accessory shops and the Pakse Honda dealer, whom I noticed had three Honda CRF250L’s for sale, priced at 185,000THB, the first time I’d seen them for sale in Laos.

DSC03734.jpgDSC03736.jpg

Pakse - Salavan

After Vietnamese coffee for breakfast I exchanged money and rode to Salavan, taking the lefthand turning next to the market at Paksong and bypassing some of the paved road section. The track was bumpy and muddy in places but a pleasant change from dodging the oncoming Lao pickups.

Pakse - Salavan.jpgDSC03737.jpgDSC03739.jpgDSC03740.jpg

For lunch I stopped at the Tadlo Lodge for fried rice and a few beers.

DSC03742.jpgDSC03744.jpgDSC03745.jpgDSC03747.jpgDSC03748.jpgDSC03751.jpg

Arriving in Salavan mid afternoon I checked into the Chindavone Guesthouse (N 15.71429 E 106.42155)
for a simple. clean room with a/c for 100,000Kip. The same evening I had a ride around looking for a likely spot to eat. Went to the river but the restaurant was dead, ended up in a small local spot selling grilled goat at 25,000Kip and beer for 10,000Kip.

DSC03761.jpgDSC03752.jpgDSC03755.jpgDSC03758.jpgDSC03759.jpg

The following morning I walked around the market and found this coffee shop in one corner selling Lao coffee for 5,000Kip. Not bad coffee but all that I could find.

DSC03760.jpg

Salavan - The Lalay border

I’d last ridden from Salavan to Ta Oy back in 2007 and remembered the route as challenging in places but ultimately rewarding in arriving at the small and then remote town, with Australian helicopter pilots searching for the US war junk and very little else. Now the road is paved all the way to the Vietnamese border, so rather than staying in Ta Oy as planned, I had breakfast there and continued on to the border.

Salavan - Samouy.jpgDSC03762.jpgDSC03763.jpgDSC03764.jpgDSC03765.jpgDSC03766.jpg

Past Ta Oy I did manage to slip off the main road and ride some of the HCM trail shown on Don’s map, which included a few scenic river crossings.

HCM Road 01.07.jpgDSC03768.jpgDSC03769.jpgDSC03773.jpgDSC03776 (1).jpgDSC03777.jpgDSC03778.jpgDSC03779.jpg

I’d read that some EU nationals, included the UK no longer needed a Vietnam visa for 15 days stays from the 1st July so I’d thought I go up to the border to try it out. As it was the first day of the new rule I was keen to see if it was in place and interested to know if the rules of taking Thai bikes into Vietnam had changed too.

I explained to the Lao officials the new rule and they agreed to contact the Vietnamese officials by phone to find out the situation. I asked them to also enquire regarding taking my Thai registered bike into Vietnam. After some wait I was told that yes I could enter without a visa for 15 days but they were unsure about the bike. All the Lao officials could tell me was that if I stamped out of Laos and was not allowed into Vietnam with the bike I could come back to Laos, applying for a new visa of course. They also mentioned a Swiss national entering Vietnam that morning in a Lao pickup without a visa.

DSC03781.jpg

Having no real plans to visit Vietnam on this trip I decided not to try entering with the bike and returned to Samouay, first visiting a small village signposted close to the Lao border control.

In town I checked into a single bed, fan room in the Meenoh Guesthouse
(N 16.29045 E 106.88903) for 50,000Kip a night. The rest of the day was spent sleeping and drinking beer, although finding a cold Lao beer was not so easy, with most places selling cans of Vietnamese ‘Huda’ beer in cans.

DSC03782.jpg

Samouay - Lao/Vietnamese border (6901)

Route 6901.jpg

The 6019 starts at the river crossing of the Pon River at the north side of town and winds its way up to Vietnam. The track itself is mostly rock so it was surprisingly dry and even sandy in places. What was causing me concern and tiring me out were the frequent rocky inclines and declines. I was thinking to myself, if I get stuck, or more probably fall down one of these there’s no one to help me or the bike if I damage it.

The route is not that long but after about half way I was tiring and decided to turn back. If I had been riding with a partner I would not have been so cautious. I was also being more cautious than usual as I had fallen off during the second large water crossing, having chosen the wrong path through, hitting an underwater rock formation shaped like stone pylons jutting out across the river bed, which turned the bike over onto it’s side. Once upright I was unable to start the bike and it was only with the help of a local I could push the bike out of the river and then start the engine in 3rd gear whilst he was pushing me along.

DSC03783.jpgDSC03784.jpgDSC03785.jpgDSC03787.jpgDSC03789.jpgDSC03791.jpgDSC03793.jpgDSC03794.jpgDSC03796.jpgDSC03800.jpgDSC03805.jpgDSC03809.jpgDSC03810.jpgDSC03812.jpg G0014848.jpgG0025120.jpg

More to come...

Attachments

• DSC03726.jpg
    DSC03726.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC03727.jpg
    DSC03727.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 6901.GPX
    619.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Pakse - Paksong - Salavan.GPX
    452.7 KB · Views: 265
  • Salavan - Lalay Border - Samouay.GPX
    615.1 KB · Views: 242
Great write up and pictures Craig, looks like you got real lucky with the wet season yet to get going this year.

BTW do you have any co ord's of the guesthouses you stayed so i can add them to the accommodation section ?

Cheers

Great write up and pictures Craig, looks like you got real lucky with the wet season yet to get going this year.

BTW do you have any co ord's of the guesthouses you stayed so i can add them to the accommodation section ?

Cheers

*GPS coordinates and GPX files added to posts.*

No rain so far and very dry. That was my rationale for visiting the south rather than the north. All the co ord's will be added once I get a more stable/faster internet connection.

Samouay - Sekong

Samouay - Sekong.jpg

After filling up with fuel at the petrol station (N 16.25851 E 106.88492) a few kms out of town, I headed back on the paved Route 15 to Ta Oy where I again had lunch at the market, regularly passing Vietnamese registered logging trucks along the way.

DSC03814.jpg

About 7km out of Ta Oy towards Salavan is the turning south for the 6903, which leads down to Kalum and then connects with the 7501. This route would join with Route 16 just before Sekong, my destination for the day.

The 6903 appears to be freshly cut, with graded gravel and rocks for the most part. Villages either side of the road look far to clean and organised to be established. Beyond the road and villages you can still see lush forest and streams as well as less fortunate areas that have been destroyed through mining and deforestation.

DSC03816.jpgDSC03818.jpgDSC03819.jpgDSC03821.jpgDSC03824.jpg

Close to Kalum I had to take a bit of a detour east as the most direct track had been closed due to mining. Once on the 7501 the road surface was less hard and easier on the wrists and arms.

Following this road was largely uneventful besides one small landslide that was causing a halt to the travel.

The final part of the 7501 before it meets Route 16 runs along the Kong River, some of which can be seen from the road.

DSC03826.jpg

After filling up with fuel again in Sekong I had a ride around looking for a place to stay, eventually choosing the plush looking Hongkham Hotel
(N 15.35245 E 106.72997) in the centre of town. The room was cool and comfortable with a/c, fridge and TV, which is what I needed as I planned to rest up the following day and do no riding. Price of the room without breakfast was 130,000Kip (150,000 with).

DSC03831.jpg
DSC03827.jpg

I rode around town trying to find a place to eat and have a beer along the river bank. I place I had visited on my two previous trip to Sekhong was no longer open. I ended up at the large, dormant looking Vangxang Savan Sekong Hotel and Restaurant, close to the ferry closing.

DSC03829.jpg

It was empty apart from two young 'Service girls' who just about managed to get me a bottle of beer between them. I ordered fried rice but was told 5 minutes later that the cook wasn't there so no food.

After checking out a few other restaurants listed on my GPS I found a small restaurant called 'Nang Pu Na' (N 15.34584 E 106.72726) grilling ducks so sat and had a few beers whilst waiting for the ducks to fully cook. Good food, lots of meat and not too much bone etc.

DSC03834.jpg

If you stay at the Hongkham Hotel, 20m away is the Kim Anh restaurant where you can get a good Vietnamese coffee for 6,000Kip along with food too (they have a menu).

DSC03832.jpgDSC03833.jpg

Another place I tried was the restaurant about 50m the other way from the hotel with the grilled meat sign. I ate the pork and duck and the warm beer. The flies and dogs make the place hard to recommend.

DSC03836.jpgDSC03837.jpg

After resting up in the very quiet Sekong for a day I'm off to Dakcheung tomorrow, which will probably make Sekong seem like Las Vegas! More to come once I get on the internet again.

Attachments

• Samouay - Sekong.GPX
    1.1 MB · Views: 219
Not sure about your route today from Sekong to Dakcheung (difficult to see at the small screenshot) but Brian Ennion and Jim tried to do this from Dakcheung in March this year but at N15.63777 E107.02168 they had to go back as the new road was completely overgrown and they had to return to Dakcheung

Sekong - Dakcheung

Sekong - Dakcheung.jpg

Well the rain finally came. Just as I was boarding the small passenger ferry (5,000Kip) to take me across the Kong River the heavens opened. The rain soon moved off but was heading in a similar direction to me. It was strange to see some areas totally dry and others with dark rain clouds in the sky, all within a few kms of each other.

DSC03839.jpgDSC03840.jpg

The Sekong bridge construction project and a smaller bridge under construction at N 15.42025 E 106.80956

DSC03841.jpgDSC03842.jpgDSC03843.jpg

I had chosen the longer, 'Kalium Sekong' route to the small town of Dakcheung, close to the Vietnamese border and was pleasantly surprised how verdant and mountainous the landscape was.
DSC03844.jpgDSC03845.jpgDSC03848.jpgDSC03849.jpgDSC03850.jpgDSC03851.jpgDSC03852.jpgDSC03853.jpgDSC03854.jpg

The road winds down to a large ford on the Emun River (N 15.57576 E 106.92017) where I was hoping to cross but when I arrived the recent rains had caused the river to flow far too strongly to make a safe crossing, especially on my own.

Nam Emun Ford.jpgDSC03855.jpgDSC03856.jpgDSC03857.jpg

So reluctantly I turned around and headed on the alternative route, the 7504, although the single track short cut was eventually blocked by a locked gate (N 15.53370 E 106.91751) so I had to turn around again and retrace my route even further.

DSC03858.jpg

The 7504 was the first real mud that I had experienced on this trip, which is surprising for the time of year. The scenery was equally as stunning though passing few small villages before following the ridge line between green forest valleys.

DSC03859.jpgDSC03860.jpgDSC03862.jpgDSC03864.jpgDSC03865.jpgDSC03866.jpgDSC03867.jpgDSC03868.jpg

The 7504 eventually joins the ugly and sketchy in places Route 16, where I turned left and continued on to Dakcheung, arriving around 1pm.

DSC03869.jpgDSC03870.jpgDSC03871.jpg

Upon arriving in Dakcheung I headed straight to a restaurant as I had not seen one all day and did not eat before leaving Sekong round 7am. I ate at Nang Nui's place (N 15.46399 E 107.26971), which only had buffalo noodles and Vietnamese beer, but I was hungry.

I went to a few of the guesthouses on Don's map but they were closed so ended up in a new Vietnamese guesthouse called Vinny (N 15.47305 E 107.26391), where fan rooms with wifi (that works) cost 100,000Kip. Not great value but it's new and there's not much choice here. Wooden panelled ceiling and flat screen TV suggest at least he is trying to break away from the usual Lao styling. The owner (Vietnamese) speaks Lao but everyone else here only speaks Vietnamese.

DSC03872.jpgDSC03873.jpg

In the evening I once again played the "Am I so really strange to be wanting to eat dinner, and that doesn't mean noodle soup, in a restaurant" game, getting looks of amazement from the locals. Finally I found a small restaurant (N 15.46948 E 107.26715) selling grilled meat (again) and cold, but expensive Lao beer.

DSC03874.jpgDSC03875.jpg

The meat, grilled duck (25,000Kip) and grilled beef on skewers (10,000Kip) was excellent. The owner explained that the beer costs 12,500Kip a bottle due to transportation costs, saying Vietnamese beer is a lot cheaper as it's less than 20km to the border.

Attachments

• Sekong - Dakcheung.GPX
    1.4 MB · Views: 224
  • DSC03846.jpg
    DSC03846.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC03847.jpg
    DSC03847.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 169
Dakcheung - Attapeu (Failed)

Dakcheung - Attapeu.jpg

After a few nights staying at Vinny's Guesthouse and a day exploring a few trails around Dakcheung and taking photos of me riding through water crossings I set out on an (too) ambitious route south to Attapeu.

DSC03902.jpgG0036209.jpg

The first part of this route, the 7519, was graded and easy enough and the problems and rain only began once I reached the Dam Access Road.

DSC03903.jpgDSC03904.jpgDSC03905.jpg

After about 50Kms, after falling of the bike a few times and dragging it out of thick mud, I was exhausted.

DSC03906.jpgDSC03909.jpgDSC03910.jpgDSC03911.jpgDSC03912.jpgDSC03913.jpgDSC03914.jpgDSC03915.jpgDSC03916.jpgDSC03918.jpgDSC03919.jpgDSC03920.jpg

The bike was feeling it too: breaking one of my Double Take mirrors, breaking the tip of the folding gear lever, buckling my front brake lever and bending my hand guards.

I ended up just lying in the track trying to rehydrate and get my strength back. It took me most of the afternoon to make it down the final few kms to the ford on the Nam Youn river, about half way on my planned route to Attapeu. I did not want to ride anymore I felt too weak and the rocky and muddy track needed 100% concentration. I was physically and mentally broken.

When I reached the ford the water was running high so I walked out and tested it. The water wasn’t as fast running as the ford that stopped my path a few days before but was deep. I weighed up the odds and decided I was too weak to risk trying to cross on my own. If I dropped the bike in the water I may not be able to single-handedly get it out - I was stuck at the ford.

DSC03921.jpg

It was late afternoon by now and I had few options. I found a patch of sandy ground and made ‘camp’, which meant taking out bags of cloths to lay on and covering myself in a waterproof jacket - then the cramps started.

Although I’d been drinking water throughout the day it was not fully hydrating my body and I was cramping in my legs and arms. My 3L of water had run out and I was drinking unfiltered stream water. Fortunately I did have packets of hydration salts with me and was mixing those to try and counter the cramping. It started to rain. I had no food, no clean water, I was too exhausted to ride and my body was suffering from every more intense cramps. I just had to get through it and wait for someone to come along.

About 30mins before dusk a group of about eight local lads arrived on bikes. I jumped up off the ground in flash and asked them if the crossing was possible and they said yes. I quickly packed up and told them to help me if I went down with the bike. They were walking their bikes across with another pushing, the water was as deep as I had thought. I somehow managed to ride my bike across without any help but felt exhausted. On the other bank I looked up the very steep rocky and muddy incline; I wasn’t going to make it up that alone.

Ban Souksavang.jpg

Once I gathered my strength I gave it my best shot, only to have the bike fall on to me and the header pipe trap my leg beneath it. I asked the boys for help, to walk the bike up in gear with the others pushing. They started but it was taking forever and dark was approaching and they had to get their bikes up too. Money was discussed: they wanted 300,000Kip, I said I’d give them 100,000, although I’d give them all I had to help me get out of the spot I was in as I was having trouble even walking up the track I was so weak and exhausted.

To cut a long story short(er) I found myself in the local village of Ban Souksavang the following morning weak, depressed and worried. I hadn’t slept well on the wooden floor of a house and had a fever and a broken bike. I was concerned I was going to get stuck in this small village.

By chance (again) there was a large truck parked in the one street village that had delivered bricks the previous night. I approached the driver and explained my predicament and asked if he'd get me and the bike out. He said we could get stuck on the road, it was all dependant on the weather. He was going to Sekong but could not take me all the way as he had to pick up a buffalo and deliver it. He could however take me to Route 16, about half way between Sekong and Dakcheung. We settled on a price of 200,000Kip for me and the bike. About an hour later we left.

The route (grey line) took us all day due to the slippery track and rain. Two young guys who travelled with the driver had the unenviable task of having to dig the mud on the track before us and cover it with dry earth they had dug from the surrounding area before we could attempt to drive up it. Sometimes we moved 5m forward, other times 10m, on occasions we didn't go anywhere. It was slow and laborious. I was just sitting in the back of the truck with the bike, sweating with a fever, getting bitten by bugs and thinking, "Are we going to make it out of here or get stuck?"

Back to Sekong.jpg

We reached the small village close to Route 16 early evening and I decided to spend the night on another wooden floor in a house of someone the driver knew and ride Route 16 back to Sekong the following morning, which is what I did. After a night in Sekong and then Pakse, I took the train back to Bangkok. I have no further photos from the end of the trip, I was just too sick to take any.

A tough few days to end an otherwise enjoyable trip.

Attachments

• Dakcheung - Ban Souksavang.GPX
    659.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Dakcheung - B Souksavang.jpg
    Dakcheung - B Souksavang.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC03917.jpg
    DSC03917.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Excellent trip report Craig, amazing how a little rain changes the whole game plan, i had a similar experience earlier this year trying to reach Lima 36 but fortunately my big head kicked in and i turned back after two failed attempts, wondering why you planned to reach Dakchung it wouldn't be high on places to go list ?

Dehydration is a huge issue especially as you found out when riding alone, NEVER drink from a stream even it it looks crystal clear at the very least carry some iodine and one of these, it could save your life.

Camping equipment, including a gravity water filter and a straw are next on my to buy list.

The reason for visiting Dakcheung is it was one of the few towns I haven't visited in Laos, even though I've been in Sekong a number of times.

Hi Craig

Loved the RR with great pictures , the last part looked so hard , I hate that wet red mud.

Found out the hard way early on this year on a ride out with Colin around the Nan area , dint take another water out the first day with me, and it was late in the afternoon when Colin found a possible link up track and we decided to explore the track , came to a very sheep downhill and Colin asked do we go down ??? but if the track is a dead end that means we need to go back up, track was dry but deep dust about 150 mm, we both worked our way down ok but to find the track came to a end, both turned round and hit the track going back up, Colin went first and made it up ok.

My turn hit it hard in 2nd got 1/3rd up knock down to 1st and the back wheel just started to spin in the deep dust, came to a dead stop and had to lay the bike over to stop it sliding back down , got it back up ok Colin was up the top looking on tried again and same again and hit it the 3rd time, with no water and at this time I was suffering from Dehydration very badly I just gave up I mean gave up ??? ask Colin to see if he could find some help which he did, 2 local Thail farmers came with some water and some rope with the help of these great guys we got the bike up to the top ok.

Without Colin in support I would of been in deep shit.

From that day I learned 2 important lesson

1. Risky riding alone
2. Never underestimate Dehydration take loads of water

On my travels I always carry several liters of water (easy to do in my truck) as well as power/granola bars for myself for a quick burst of energy if I get stuck somewhere or for people I meet on the road. This picture, which I took near the Xayaboury dam, shows an overloaded truck where the load had shifted and they had to unload the truck to get the front wheels again on firm ground. They had been there already for a few hours and they were mightily happy when I shared my water with them as they had no water with them

IMG_4369.jpg

Great pics Craig, with everything green this time of year. Made me feel like going for a ride.

Camping equipment, including a gravity water filter and a straw are next on my to buy list.

The reason for visiting Dakcheung is it was one of the few towns I haven't visited in Laos, even though I've been in Sekong a number of times.

Try to get a good filter unit, the life straws are pretty good but only quench your immediate thirst but are unable to decant water to your Camelbak which is where you want it to continue riding.

Try to get a good filter unit, the life straws are pretty good but only quench your immediate thirst but are unable to decant water to your Camelbak which is where you want it to continue riding.

I ordered the AUTOFLOW™ MICROFILTER earlier today along with the NEMO Gogo Elite 1-man tent. I'll receive the 4L filter before buying the life straw. After testing the filter on the road I may not even go for the straw.

image.jpg image.jpg

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/treatment/autoflow-gravity-filter/product
http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Gogo+Elite

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom