A Day with the Hmong

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
Last year the Hmong New Year celebrations at Puak Toey (just off the Samoeng loop) were sensational, so I was keen not to miss them this year.
I rode to the community on 22nd to confirm the date and was told 'tomorrow'!

So I went to the Hmong Christian/Animist community of Puak Toey 'tomorrow' and I'll now share what happened.
The day was very loosely organised, no loud speakers, no adults yelling instructions; subdued.
It turned out to be Hmong Children's Day as part of their New Year Celebrations.
More celebrations coming too and I'll give that info in this report.

Puak Toey is just off the #1096.

DSC05745.jpg

DSC05747.jpg

DSC06152.jpg

The kids were warming up their racing carts when I arrived.

DSC05749.jpg

DSC05776.jpg

One of the Hmong adults appointed some lads to be my guide for the day!
(and these superb little hosts stayed with me all day)
Throughout the day I was to be the only 'Farang' there.

DSC05753.jpg

I felt quite safe with this one by my side.

DSC05752.jpg

Throughout the day the lads brought food, fresh fruit and water, even hot coffee bless 'em!

DSC05754.jpg

Then they asked if I wanted to look around the community, so we went for a walk.

DSC05770.jpg

Past this artistic photographer ...

DSC05759.jpg

... past our breakfast being prepared ...

DSC05762.jpg

...and into a few gardens.

DSC05765.jpg

DSC05767.jpg

DSC05771.jpg

DSC05772.jpg

Wonderful views they have up here.

DSC05764.jpg

He took good care of my back-pack all day.

DSC05775.jpg

It transpired that the cart racing was not planned for today.

'Mai phen rai'; we can still have some fun in them.

DSC05756.jpg

And on the traditional Hmong swing.

DSC05785.jpg

DSC05784.jpg

DSC05778.jpg

DSC05787.jpg

(continuing)

Nothing specifically organised, so let's just walk around for a while.

DSC05789.jpg

DSC05790.jpg

DSC05793.jpg

DSC05796.jpg

DSC05797.jpg

DSC05799.jpg

DSC05817.jpg

DSC05800.jpg

DSC05801.jpg

DSC05819.jpg

Then a selection of 'Ancient Ice-cream' arrived.

DSC05807.jpg

Yep, I'm still a boy at heart.
In a vain attempt to get rid of me they actually pushed me towards the steep hill which will be used
for the racing. However, I hadn't sufficiently warmed up the tyres, so bravely executed a U-turn just before
the drop!

DSC05835.jpg

In my back-pack were some stickers left over from our recent ride in Laos.
These make an excellent gift. (Thanks Alan)

DSC05815.jpg

DSC05816.jpg

(continuing)

Then, early afternoon, some organising happened and the children played that Hmong 'throw and catch' game.
But this group didn't use a ball, rather they used a rice-stuffed bag with ribbons tied at the corners.
Don't know if they were being politically correct but all the bags were yellow and red!

DSC05824.jpg

DSC05830.jpg

DSC05833.jpg

There was a nice selection of handicraft on display, not necessarily for sale.
This embroidery (is that the name?) impressed me and I made it known that I'd like to buy it.
Two hours later it was mine!
The price? "What you want to pay." !
The work depicts traditional Hmong rural activity and was very skilfully made by a Hmong schoolgirl.
It will be ironed, framed and hung on my kitchen wall.

DSC05826.jpg

DSC05947.jpg

Meanwhile, my taxi had arrived.

DSC05832.jpg

Some proud Hmong wearing their traditional attire.

(This was a different costume style from what I saw here last year, so I'm assuming there are a number of Hmong sub-groups, each with
their unique ways of doing things, for example, costume style, ball games etc and maybe even dialectal differences. Research to do.)

DSC05843.jpg

DSC05847.jpg

DSC05853.jpg

DSC05856.jpg

DSC05857.jpg

DSC05858.jpg

DSC05862.jpg

DSC05863.jpg

And not so traditional.

DSC05865.jpg

Meanwhile the carts were being put to good use.

DSC05859.jpg

DSC05861.jpg

DSC05842.jpg

(continuing .... maybe!)

Then another traditional activity spontaneously happened; 'top' spinning.
And I lost my guide for a couple of hours!
He was brilliant. It so happens that young 'Goh' is the Puak Toey 'World Spinning Champion'!

DSC05890.jpg

DSC05869.jpg

DSC05874.jpg

Satisfied and being very 'cool', look around to see if anyone else is seriously and successfully spinning.

DSC05872.jpg

DSC05871.jpg

When the 'top' was near the end of its spin Goh would lower his head and appear to listen to the 'top'.

At times he appeared to kiss it. Next time I visit (I'll take a few dozen prints from these pics for the kids) I want to find out about this.
More research!

DSC05873.jpg

Him also.

DSC05905.jpg

Then The Champ had two going simultaneously.

DSC05899.jpg

Only one girl was spinning.

DSC05864.jpg

And the audience was impressed.

DSC05916.jpg

DSC05917.jpg

DSC05914.jpg

(continuing?)

Attachments

• DSC05893.jpg
    DSC05893.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 257
Then my guides took me to the back of a house to inspect some sticky rice being made by the village Matriarch and her daughter.

DSC05939.jpg

Wrapped in banana leaf, leave to dry for about a week, but no more than two, (outside of a refrigerator) then fry it.

They gave me a couple of bundles to take home, so I'll try it on New Years Eve.

DSC05943.jpg

DSC05941.jpg

DSC05946.jpg

Then a tray-load was given to visitors.

DSC05945.jpg

Next, my guides took me to another group who were making artificial flowers.

DSC05949.jpg

DSC06063.jpg

A free lunch was being delivered to all, just as the choir was preparing to entertain us.
Meals on wheels.

DSC05980.jpg

DSC05981.jpg

The choir in traditional costume.

DSC05957.jpg

DSC06007.jpg

DSC06023.jpg

DSC06035.jpg

DSC06041.jpg

DSC06046.jpg

DSC06050.jpg

DSC05966.jpg

DSC05968.jpg

DSC06031.jpg

DSC06006.jpg

DSC05954.jpg

It's been a long day for Mum.

DSC05970.jpg

This photographer was getting some wonderful photos.

DSC06038.jpg

And, in Hmong time, the choir was ready.

DSC06064.jpg

(continuing)

The choir performed, mostly, Evangelical and Christmas songs.
They were great!

DSC06086.jpg

DSC06071.jpg

DSC06074.jpg

This little chap supplied the percussion.

DSC05974.jpg

DSC06068.jpg

DSC06118.jpg

DSC06114.jpg

The audience was captivated.

DSC06085.jpg

DSC06092.jpg

DSC06137.jpg

He wasn't.
'Look Mum, no hands.'

DSC06100.jpg

Meanwhile, another group of children were making badges.

DSC06079.jpg

DSC06090.jpg

And the sole 'Farang' visitor was given a few badges, which he will treasure.

DSC06148.jpg

DSC06153.jpg

So,
as I was informed, these carts ...

DSC06134.jpg

... will be racing down a steep hill
at Puak Toey community on January 15th.

The turn off into the community is off #1096 at

N18.87646
E98.78412

See you there!?

The Hmong game of love

By Liz Price

"Throw the ball and catch a husband. If you see a boy you like, toss the ball to him and hope he returns it. But if you don't like your prospective partner, then drop the ball he throws you.
Novel, isn't it?
This is pov pob, the ball-tossing game of the Hmong, a minority ethnic group in Laos. The ball-tossing game is a common activity for adolescents.
Boys and girls form two separate lines in pairs that are directly facing one another. The players throw a soft black ball back and forth to each other.

f_22catchball.jpg
Catching the ball gives him hope. Dropping it could mean she's got her sights on someone else. — LIZ PRICE

The ball is thrown so that the other player can catch it with one hand. If the throw is good and the other player drops or misses the ball,
an ornament or a piece of silver or a belt from his or her costume is given to the opposite player in the pair.
Ornaments are recovered by singing traditional courting songs to the opposite player.

Girls can toss the ball with other girls or boys, but boys cannot toss the ball with boys. It is also taboo to toss the ball to someone of the same clan,
as Hmongs may not marry within the same clan group. Through playing this game, the youngsters get to know each other, forming relationships that may eventually lead to marriage.

If the boy throws the ball and the girl makes no attempt to catch it, then he has been rejected. Traditionally the ball was made of cotton, but today the couples use tennis balls.
Every unmarried girl tries to make a new dress especially for the ball game. During their spare moments from working at home or in the fields,
the girls embroider special designs on their costumes. The boys, too, wear their best new clothes.

Each player wears at least one silver collar. However, today, many have compromised on the dress code and wear unbecoming trainers or clumpy modern platform shoes.
Some of the boys don't even bother to dress up. It seems such a pity that the girls make a big effort to dress up for the occasion whereas a few of the boys come in their everyday clothes.

I had to laugh at the number of handphones I saw. Many of the boys and girls were catching the ball with one hand, while the other one clutched a handphone.
In years to come they will probably give up throwing the ball and just send text messages instead!

Traditional Hmong society is very ordered and a marriage partner must be found from another clan. The ball throwing game takes place during the Hmong New Year celebration,
because they usually work all year round and have no time for courtship. All the Hmong communities in the country celebrate the New Year.

It is held at the end of the 12th lunar calendar month and the beginning of the first lunar calendar month, which is the time of the full moon in November (of the Laotian calendar).
This is at the end of the rice harvest, and the festival lasts anything from three to 45 days.

However, not all communities celebrate the New Year at the same time since it may not coincide with the end of the rice harvest for them.
It is preferable that the New Year celebration coincides with those in other nearby villages so that the unmarried men can meet prospective wives in other communities as well.

Young people usually get married after the New Year, between the first and the 15th of the month. They believe that it's a good time for marriage,
because everything starts as new, especially with a new moon - something the Hmongs live their lives by.

There is an interesting story of the origin of this ball-throwing game.
A long time ago, before the Hmong migrated to Laos, they lived in China. There were specific times set aside for courting.
It was the man's duty to court a girl and the actual activity of pov pob occurred when some love-stricken fellow devised a plan in which he would be able to send symbols of love to his girlfriend.

He would hide some charm or personal item wrapped up in a bun and throw it to his chosen girl. Then she proceeded to do the same.
Back and forth they threw these items. If they were separated by a high wall, he would sing to indicate he was there and she would have to answer with similar lyrics.

Over the years, the buns turned into balls made from strips of fabric and were tossed at New Year to show affection or interest.
The beautiful lyrics continue to be a feature in this courting game." (from thestaronline)

Whereas last year, at the same community, the costumes and headwear were like this.

DSC00827.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

And the ball game (of love) was like this.

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

You've captured the event perfectly 2W, almost feels like you were there with those photo's, nice job.

I returned to this village yesterday to check about the cart racing ...

DSC06757.jpg

... and 'Yes' it is being held on 15th but at Mae Sa, still on the Samoeng Loop.
I'll check and give co-ordinates tomorrow.

Just back from checking the site.

Yep, it's on tomorrow and probably for a few more days too.

From Mae Rim side, along Samoeng loop road # 1096, past Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens on left, into Mae Sa
and left at this blue sign to Mae Sa Mai

DSC06796.jpg

N 18.87646
E 98.78412

in, past the track to Cave, continue about 7kms, magnificent views,
to

DSC06798.jpg

N 18.83199
E 99.16930

and Mae Sa Mai opens up to you.

It will be a hoot.
'Yes', cart racing is on but don't know what time.
The action has already started and will re-commence in earnest around 6am (COLD :cry ).
A big crowd is expected tomorrow.
Lots of food and drinks available, also lots of hills!
Well, they are Hmong.

DSC06801.jpg

DSC06811.jpg

Nice day out..

Attachments

• Hmong New Year Jan 2013 051 (Medium).JPG
    Hmong New Year Jan 2013 051 (Medium).JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 943
  • Hmong New Year Jan 2013 039 (Medium).JPG
    Hmong New Year Jan 2013 039 (Medium).JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 301
  • Hmong New Year Jan 2013 037 (Medium).JPG
    Hmong New Year Jan 2013 037 (Medium).JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 532
No competitions here mate!
Good to have shared a few hours with you; 'colourful' has to be an understatement; those Hmong costumes are amazing.
I'll post a few pics :roll: under another thread, 'Hmong Style' tomorrow.
Good to see 'Loop' and a few 'Farang' made it to the event too.

A couple of vids i took of the festivities on Tuesday..

So I went back to Puak Toey on Sunday, mainly to distribute some prints and shirts to the little lads who looked after me so well during their celebrations.

I rode up the hill into the clearing where the festivities occurred and was not really surprised to see the same little gang of Hmong lads there ...... spinning tops!

We sat in the sand for a while, me trying to learn some Hmong phrases and them rolling in the sand laughing! It was good to hear them communicating in their own language too.

View attachment 14173

View attachment 14174

View attachment 14175

View attachment 14176

View attachment 14177

View attachment 14178

And a book of the ever-popular stickers!

View attachment 14179

After very polite 'thank you's from the lads and a friendly goodbye it was off to pick some strawberries at Samoeng.

Nice one Ron, good to see those smiles :)

The effort you put into returning something to the communities you visit is something many would wish to do. You really do it from the heart.

Thank you for sharing some of the moments with us Ron.

Ally

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
2wheels Thailand Ride Reports 21