2013 Ducati Hypermotard 821

good to hear your lovin the hyper phil.Im lovin mine too and just put a new tyres,pipe and reflash the ecu.its a totally different animal now with a voice.off to nan in a couple of days to give it a good run hyper new exhaust.jpg

Oops...would be nice if they could put traction control on the front.

He looks awfully clean and comfy for a crasher?

I see the problem Keld, the KTM jacket is upsetting the Ducati !!!

The cure is to give away said jacket to a small perfectly formed guy sporting a nice new arm cast :cripple:

I see the problem Keld, the KTM jacket is upsetting the Ducati !!!

The cure is to give away said jacket to a small perfectly formed guy sporting a nice new arm cast :cripple:

Perfectly formed?

So why do you keep trying to modify your shape? :excuseme: :lol:

It's a full time job trying to improve on perfection Ian, but I will leave no stone unturned in my quest :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

nice addition phil.i bet that gives a nice crisp note.the dukes do need it and strips a lot of weight too

Saw these facts in a discussion on a Ducati forum.

Comparisons between the 1100, the 796 and the 821 models.

You can discuss all day and try to argue why you prefer one model over another, but here are the facts

(from Ducati's website)

1100----------796----------821
HP 90hp-------- 81hp---------110hp
Trq 76ft----------55ft----------65ft
LBs 395lb dry----366lb--------386lb

Fuel 3.3G----------3.3G---------4.4G

Maint
Interval 7500Mile---7500miles-- 9000miles

Fact is, the new water cooled engine pumps out more power in a smaller package than both the aircooled one does.
And as we found out on the last trip LivinLOS and I did, the typical range before the fuel light comes on was 200 km (With my style of riding), then once the light comes on, you have at least 44.5 km range before you run out. (And thats when hooning it max, LivinLOS style of riding)

Is it even possible to get out of the city limit with the 1100 without having to refuel the first time? ;)

Who gives anyone a bike near empty for a test ride.. I ask ya ??

Ahem...Let me remind you:

You were there...When we refilled my bike. You said "just pour in for 200 baht"
I put in for 300 Baht.

You said we will meet up at the top at the viewpoint and do a swap over of bikes.
You went waaayyyyy past the viewpoint, so we had to resort to location services on whatsapp to hook up again...

Oh sod it, who gives a fuck, it was a fun ride...

And where did we swap bikes ?? In a petrol station !!!

LOLz

Down at Ducati Chiang Mai today & this caught my eye on a Ducati Hypermotard 821

FlickrDroid Upload by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A Pirelli Scorpion 180 on the rear & a racing slick on the front. Apparently an excellent setup for stunt riding, making the rear easy to drift/ let go. Might be fun to try sometime.

Ha.. Thats one hell of a compound match up..

It has a grey frame, so its a Hyperstrada.
Doesnt it (HS) come stock with the Pirelli Scorpions?

It has a grey frame, so its a Hyperstrada.
Doesnt it (HS) come stock with the Pirelli Scorpions?

Yup it does. Phil maybe this was just a stock Hyperstrada?

My hyper is now very sad with a throttle sensor failure, waiting for parts from BKK. 8500 km. What happens when that happens is that the throttle becomes unresponsive - no gas - and the bike idles high. And errors on the dashboard. I hope they diagnosed it right, I was there for the first hour or so of messing around with it and the patient seemed to get worse and worse, didn't even start up anymore when I left (it did before it went in the shop...)

I break bikes.

I was just going to say the Hypermotard is the most perfect bike ever. Well except for reliability... not a Honda...

Nik, mine has some starting issues, I hope it's not headed the same way. Leaky fork seal, they are replacing under warranty. 3 days to fix.

The stunt bike I think was a stock Hyperstrada with a racing slick front tire.

Nik, mine has some starting issues, I hope it's not headed the same way. Leaky fork seal, they are replacing under warranty. 3 days to fix.

The stunt bike I think was a stock Hyperstrada with a racing slick front tire.

My bike is sorted, they found the problem apparently "just" a sort in the throttle sensor & I guess they were able to fix that with available parts. Fingers crossed the fix lasts.

Phil, I know of three issues:
- Leaking front fork seal. This was a recall. Sign up on Ducati.com then you will get emails whenever there's a recall.
- Starter motor replaced. Both my and my friend's Hyper had to have this done. It's under warranty and since they've done it for a few Hypers already it shouldn't be a problem. For me it took a while to order the part.
- Throttle sensor short fixed under warranty. I don't know of any other Hyper that had this done. Hopefully a one-off.

Did not know about those other issues, thanks Nik
My bike is sorted, they found the problem apparently "just" a sort in the throttle sensor & I guess they were able to fix that with available parts. Fingers crossed the fix lasts.

Phil, I know of three issues:
- Leaking front fork seal. This was a recall. Sign up on Ducati.com then you will get emails whenever there's a recall.
- Starter motor replaced. Both my and my friend's Hyper had to have this done. It's under warranty and since they've done it for a few Hypers already it shouldn't be a problem. For me it took a while to order the part.
- Throttle sensor short fixed under warranty. I don't know of any other Hyper that had this done. Hopefully a one-off.

With Keld's 90,000 Bht, full Hypermotard Termignoni system, comes a larger air intake & a plug-in ECU upgrade by Ducati Racing.

Being the tuning technicians we are, we thought we'd try and "chip" my standard Hypermotard wih his plug-in ECU upgrade.

It took a couple of attempts to find the right plug, but we got there in the end. Plugged it in and it was doing everything it should do to start off with.

But when the message came up to unplug map there had been no upload of the upgrade to the ECU, more research will be needed

....plug-in ECU upgrade by Ducati e thought we'd try and "chip" my standard Hypermotard..... but when the message came up to unplug map there had been no upload of the upgrade to the ECU, more research will be

might be the USB "stick" map uploads are one time use only or interlinked with one particular bike (ECU) after the initial first upload, wouldn't surprise me at all.....

Good point Butch
Well - have a "cracking" weekend....

sidenote: Termi is a real pain in the neck to deal with and refuses to sell parts / ECU / maps directly and advise given is to go to the Ducati dealers for anything Termi / Ducati related. As Akrapovic teams up with Ducati in racing series - things might change in the long run but time will tell.....

hey phil you will have to send your ecu away and get reflashed,I think rexxer now have a map for a slip on exhaust but not a full system yet for the 821.You only have the slipon dont you so should be good.Kelds map wouldnt have been any good to you anyway mate.way too rich if his has a full system.I bought the rexer unit myself for my map on the 1100 so i can reset tps and correct error codes and a bunch of other stuff i dont know about.if i upgrade further he just emails me a new map for a $100.mine runs great with the rexxer map for full system.they have a rexxer guy in malaysia if you need your ecu reflashed but i got mine through redline performance in the states
btw you can get a great full system and a reflash for half the termie price

Sounds like the way to go, thanks Greg.

hey phil you will have to send your ecu away and get reflashed,I think rexxer now have a map for a slip on exhaust but not a full system yet for the 821.You only have the slipon dont you so should be good.Kelds map wouldnt have been any good to you anyway mate.way too rich if his has a full system.I bought the rexer unit myself for my map on the 1100 so i can reset tps and correct error codes and a bunch of other stuff i dont know about.if i upgrade further he just emails me a new map for a $100.mine runs great with the rexxer map for full system.they have a rexxer guy in malaysia if you need your ecu reflashed but i got mine through redline performance in the states
btw you can get a great full system and a reflash for half the termie price

Kelds map wouldnt have been any good to you anyway mate.way too rich if his has a full system.I bought the rexer unit myself for my map on the 1100 so i can reset tps and correct error codes and a bunch of other stuff i dont know about.

If the new Hypers have the Mitsubishi ECU's you can't reset TPS without the Ducati DDS (dealer). Technoresearch are developing software at the moment but they haven't yet been able to include TPS reset, which is a bummer coz I need this function. If there is a way of doing this I would love to hear about it as the DDS is about the same price as a Hypermotard!

Hi Johnny i think the multistradas had the mitsubishi ecu and the new hyper 821 has the magnetti marelli iaw7sm.My 1100s has the iaw 5am .And with mine i can reset the tps with the rexxer unit.Im not too sure about the multi,s but shouldnt the dealer be able to reset your tps if you need too .If you want your questions anwered email david @rexxer.com he owns redline performance in the states and is full of knowledge.

Hi Johnny i think the multistradas had the mitsubishi ecu and the new hyper 821 has the magnetti marelli iaw7sm.My 1100s has the iaw 5am .And with mine i can reset the tps with the rexxer unit.Im not too sure about the multi,s but shouldnt the dealer be able to reset your tps if you need too .If you want your questions anwered email david @rexxer.com he owns redline performance in the states and is full of knowledge.

I see there's an android app for the marelli 59M and 5AM ecu's

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scantwin.scanmM5.AllinOne

Ah ok that's easier then, lots of software options for them.
Rexxer are also still in progress developing options for the Mitsubishi ECU. Just a matter of time before they and Technoresearch include what I need. Painful waiting though. Yes Ducati have said they can do it but I want to be able to do it myself for various reasons.
I'll drop David an email and see what progress they've made, thanks for the contact info.
Another wealth of tuning experience is Chris from CJSDucati in the UK. I'm getting as close to a custom reflash/map from him as possible without being dyno'd.
i would be careful loading maps onto your stock ECU's, I've read quite a few horror stories where it's all went tits up. Best option is to keep that stock, find a spare and mess about with that.

yeh i know what you mean.i want to be able to do it all myself also.I know chris from cjs in bristol he is a bit of a wizard himself.He did a set of heads on an old ducati for me a few years ago which was money well spent although it took him a year to do them.I have my stock map on my rexer unit if i ever need it again but yeh good idea to get another ecu.yeh wouldnt it be nice to have a good dyno/tuner up here

Attachments

• available_rexxer_mappings-1.pdf
    120.1 KB · Views: 488
There are 2 different termigioni maps actually. One for the slip-on and another for the full system. they are called "Racing 1" and "Racing 2 iirc. I got the full system and only the "2" map was on my memory stick.

Mine did not show the "hypermotard racing" logo at startup. When i asked about this, they (ducati phuket) insisted the up-map was done, and told me this model did not show the racing logo.. I managed to do it myself in the end.

Yes, I think the slip-on says Hypermotard Performance, not Hypermotard Racing.

Incredible Ducati Phuket, not wanting to loose face. Fucking numbskulls.

Ok, I have experienced my first problem with the HM.
Seems on a long ride, that my Garmin Zumo (When put on max brightness) drains the battery, so it won't start immediately. Needing some 7-10 secs of holding the starter button in.
Have had this happen to me twice now after a 300-400 km day.
Solution: Turn down brightness on GPS and/or turn GPS off when you don't need it.

Ok, I have experienced my first problem with the HM.
Seems on a long ride, that my Garmin Zumo (When put on max brightness) drains the battery, so it won't start immediately. Needing some 7-10 secs of holding the starter button in.
Have had this happen to me twice now after a 300-400 km day.
Solution: Turn down brightness on GPS and/or turn GPS off when you don't need it.

Keld- can't believe when riding the zumo's brightness is draining your battery. Where have you wired it too, direct to the battery or switched?

Also, a drained battery would be unlikely to 'generate' power after 7 - 10 seconds..

And agree.. No way a GPS is pulling more power than the stator can handle..

It's wired to the battery, Ducati installed it for me.
Will pop over today and ask them if it's stator related and get it fixed under warranty.

But since I started to turn the GPS off at the end of the ride back from MHS, haven't had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom