2011 Kawasaki KLX 250

I was given a 30,000 Baht deposit on it today so I think its sold

Its sitting in the shop waiting, I put a deposit down and tomorrow morning I am meeting my bikes buyer at Kawasaki to offload mine to him and ride off on the new one.
Then its a day of sorting out a certificate of residence, getting the seat altered and getting a few kms on it

SOLD today for 79,000 Baht.

Thanks for posting the advert Bob

Hi Colin, I'd be interested in your opinion ( or anyone else ) My wife and I move to CM next April, I ride a VStrom 650 here in NZ ( often 2 up) my delema is what to buy in CM. I read with interest your exploits exploring and plan to do this also which points me to a crf250 or klx250 but also plan to tour 2 up through thailand, Laos and Cambodia which points me to a cb500x... I have the means to buy both, but wanted a 1 bike does it all (eg klr650)... I don't want to spend a fortune but ur opinion pls on an owner of both cheers Phil NZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil the CB500X would be the best option if you are touring 2 up on paved roads but if you are seriously going offroad then I guess the KLX or CRF would be a better option.
One of the posters on here rides 2 up offroad a lot and hopefully he will reply with his experiences of doing it and which bike would be best for you

Cheers Colin I guess I'm hoping for a one bike does all but may need to head the two bike option

Cheers Colin I guess I'm hoping for a one bike does all but may need to head the two bike option

Rally Raid in the UK are in the process of creating parts to make the CB500X more off-road capable. There will be a series of releases, the first scheduled for Q1 next year,

We intend to have the stage 1 kit (that is the wheels, front suspension and rear shock - together with a revised exhaust silencer that will be required if you want to run a longer rear shock, since the OEM silencer has a fat conical section that is already very close to the swing arm in standard position) available towards the end of January 2015.

There is also every chance that various accessories such as the skid-plate, high fender kit, and luggage racks will be available even sooner than that...

The front wheel will be 19" and they are testing both a 17" and 18" rear. They have also discussed releasing a 21" front in the near future if there is demand.

Here's a thread on ADVRider with all the details: Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X - ADVrider

You maybe able to get away with just the one bike after all! hammock

Thanks for the link and I will watch with interest, also kudos to all involved in RA everyone's input is much appreciated

The Honda looks great, although I have never ridden one heard some good stuff about it. Phil, why not consider though a KLX and maybe a ER6N? Both great machines and you get the best of both worlds for not a lot of money.I sold my first KLX250 and almost immediately was in the market for another one.As I am a little taller than Colin, the 150 is a little small for me, I tried one for size yesterday but am still considering one but I won't let the 250 go. The ER is just a great go anywhere road bike. There is an article somewhere of a French guy who rode a Versys from Paris to Mongolia! Muzz

Hi Muzz, thx for your reply. Yes it will be either a KLX 250 or CRF as my play bike and I'm also leaning towards the VStrom 650, have one here in NZ for the 2 up touring, is the perfect bike here so see no reason it wouldn't be the same there, unless the perfect 1 bike does all appears

Gene I bought the KLX 150, the L has 21 and 18" wheels so would be higher which I don't want.
I am pissed off that the 150 has a crappy old carburettor instead of the much more fuel efficient EFI, but then it would mean a smaller engine if I went for the 125

Hearing the KLX 150 "L" with the 18" rear & 21" front wheels is around 85,000 Bht, will try check today.

Kawasaki+KLX+150L.jpg

Gene I bought the KLX 150, the L has 21 and 18" wheels so would be higher which I don't want.
I am pissed off that the 150 has a crappy old carburettor instead of the much more fuel efficient EFI, but then it would mean a smaller engine if I went for the 125

Yet the crappy old carb ones seem to make much more power output than the EFI options.. Look at KSRs etc..

When the EFI and Euro III choking of emissions goes on tends to kill a lot of of those smaller engines.

The 150 has got emissions on it Sefton, there are a couple of pipes going to the exhaust header that are not on the 140. I am guessing it also meets Euro III

Kiwiphil I have a 650 V Strom in Chiangmai and have managed 100k on it solo and 2up the past 3 years in Thailand and Laos. I don't go extreme off road where others need a KLX but have been most places in comfort. Laos is developing fast and has a good sealed road network that will keep you busy.

The 150 has got emissions on it Sefton, there are a couple of pipes going to the exhaust header that are not on the 140. I am guessing it also meets Euro III

I thought no carbed bikes could meet Euro III ?? And only the bikes introduced before the rule change were grandfathered over..

Hence why the KLR650 never made it here, and multiple others the same.

Hearing the KLX 150 "L" with the 18" rear & 21" front wheels is around 85,000 Bht, will try check today.

Kawasaki+KLX+150L.jpg

Not sure if there has been new pricing introduced but last year in Surin at the "Surin Motor Show" the KLX 150 was sold for 65k all included (taxes, book, plate, registration etc)...is this s a new/different model?

I thought no carbed bikes could meet Euro III ?? ...............

Hence why the KLR650 never made it here, and multiple others the same.

It is a myth that bikes with carburator cannot meet emission standards...carburator technology has come a long way even after the introduction of fuel injection - it is, admittedly, easier with fuel injection especially when it comes to maintenance.

The KLR650 was reportedly derailed by political reasons, nothing to do with E3 as it does actually meet the emission standards (at least when it is new, after some milage, well...different issue).

Thanks skeedary for the info, I lived in Vientiane for 18 months ten years ago exploring Laos on an old Baja, haven't been back since but probably won't recognise the place, looking forward to relocating to CM next April

I was looking for some pitbike or dirt bike. And Kawasaki KLX 150 - KLX 250 looked great, best motorbikes at the market at this moment. But I already have Kawsaki KSR, which is 110cc and has sport frame. If I buy KLX 150 I would have two almost identical motorbikes. Pointless. So KLX 250 left, which costs around 170 000 Baht. Even I like this motorbike a lot, I can't just justify this price to myself. So no KLX for me.

You can get a second-hand KLX250 for under 100k.
No offense, but KSR is hardly an off-road bike. Even with slightly higher ground clearance than your average scooter, the wheels are too small for off-road, and riding around rocks will quickly knock a hole in the unprotected engine sticking out exactly where a sump guard should be (on an off-road bike). A KLX, 250 or 150 or even 125 is hardly identical to KSR, they are all dirt bikes, while your KSR is a "mini supersport" bike, like Kawasaki calls it. I wouldn't go riding dirt on a KSR, on the other hand a KLX is pretty much ok on the road as well as off-road.

If you like the KLR650 Red Baron has a brand spanking new 2013 model they brought in and plated (he passed the emission standards on a single homologation) not too shabby, though at 518k a little on the pricy side

RED BARON BANGKOK : PRODUCT : 2013 KLR650

Red Baron has been offering (though not quite sure if that's the appropriate word) these bikes for 428K for some time now. Still a big investment for a cheap bike (in the US anyway).

If you like the KLR650 Red Baron has a brand spanking new 2013 model they brought in and plated (he passed the emission standards on a single homologation) not too shabby, though at 518k a little on the pricy side

RED BARON BANGKOK : PRODUCT : 2013 KLR650

Bit big and heavy for me.. Less into the land barges than a few of the more tour minded guys.

Kawasaki+KLX+150L.jpg

The boss at Kawasaki Chiang Mai thinks the L should be here in about a month but reckons it wont sell very well as it will be too tall for most Thais.
I agree, its got the worst of both bikes in my opinion

It is a myth that bikes with carburator cannot meet emission standards...carburator technology has come a long way even after the introduction of fuel injection - it is, admittedly, easier with fuel injection especially when it comes to maintenance.

The KLR650 was reportedly derailed by political reasons, nothing to do with E3 as it does actually meet the emission standards (at least when it is new, after some milage, well...different issue).

But isnt the the constant reason we get for bikes not being given plates ??

Why cant we get the KLX450R ?? Because its not FI.. Same reason given on the 650.. Same for soooo many.. Surely they can all be lieing.. The 450 would sell like proverbial hotcakes here, nothing in the market to compete.

Only politics and economics...they all would meet emissions standards but for other reasons Kawasaki has decided not to sell these in Thailand. Reportedly one f the reasons is that these models were not included in the deal they have with the department of commerce to manufacture and sell a minimum of bikes for their tax incentives deal...also these bikes are not manufactured here so, perhaps after the tax wall is phased out we will see then here. That's just speculation though...

I find that really strange.. Kawasaki for example sold the KLX140 throughout asia.. But didnt here (road legal) because it was carbed.. They then introduced a 125 FI model specifically to address that shortcoming, while still selling the 140 model in other markets (Indo, PI).. So they sold the 140 off road, here in Thailand, but didnt get it road homogenization, as they did in many other asean markets, because of 'politics' ?? That makes no sense. Thats turning down free money when they already sold it here for off road.

Over and over again the reasons given for not getting models here, that are sold elsewhere has been that they cant get a carbed bike through euro 3... thats been said about the KLR650, the KLX450, etc etc etc.. Its all been lies ??

Thailand is a bit advanced when it comes to the ASEA, at least compared to many other countries like Philippines, Indonesia etc. so one reason I can see is that many of those countries have issues/deficit servicing FI engines...don't now 140s, but when it comes to the higher cc engines like KLR650 yes, lies because they do meet E3es

It also sais: Given its old-school roots and rugged simplicity, the KLR is one of those bikes that seems set to remain in production forever. Who knows, perhaps we'll even get offered them in Europe again in the future. The back-to-basics style and low cost ($6599 for the New Edition in America, $100 more than the normal version) could make it quite attractive to the Euro market where dual-sports machines are still increasingly popular.

In 2007-2008 it did not meet the then new emission standards...it did again in 2009-2010. I'm not sure about the US but Canada has the same emission regulations for motorcycles as Europe does and the KLR650 was not sold in Canada in 2008 but came back into the market in 2009. My buddy reportedly waited 2 years for his because of that ( I left Canada in 2007 so I rely on what they report).

The issue with the carbureted version is that it needs serious upkeep on maintenance to keep staying within the emission standards as the milage on the engine increases. I know several people that own and ride KLR650s in Germany, France and Switzerland, they all do so legally with single homologation bikes (they get them approved themselves which in Europe is not that expensive). Often, as reported by Gerhard (a friend in Germany with single homologation 2010 KLR650) who rides 40k to 50k Km with it every year, he needs to pass emission standards every year with his, cleaning air intake and carb and changing the piston rings for new ones does the trick of bringing it just within the legal limit again. From what I was told oil burning is a major issue that prevents it from meeting emission standards but they all (the owners I know) say that Kawasaki has corrected that issue in 2009 allowing the bike to meet E3 (at least when new). Perhaps the fact that after so many kilometers the bike no longer falls within these standards has come into play when decisions were made weather to homologate or not. Again, to me it is still politics and not a deficit of the bike...no other homologated bikes are ever tested after 50-100k Km...

edit:correction, I was wrong, I was just told that some bikes actually do have to undergo yearly inspection and get a sticker confirming that they meet emission standards, without the renewed sticker they get impounded if caught. I do not know which bikes and what exactly the regulations are at this point...maybe someone here does?

I find that really strange.. Kawasaki for example sold the KLX140 throughout asia.. But didnt here (road legal) because it was carbed.. They then introduced a 125 FI model specifically to address that shortcoming, while still selling the 140 model in other markets (Indo, PI).. So they sold the 140 off road, here in Thailand, but didnt get it road homogenization, as they did in many other asean markets, because of 'politics' ?? That makes no sense. Thats turning down free money when they already sold it here for off road.

Over and over again the reasons given for not getting models here, that are sold elsewhere has been that they cant get a carbed bike through euro 3... thats been said about the KLR650, the KLX450, etc etc etc.. Its all been lies ??

IMG_6242.jpg
A KLX 125 EFI without the emissions, the KLX 140 doesn't have them either
IMG_6241.jpg
The KLX 150
IMG_6246.jpg
Also from the 150
IMG_6245.jpg
I guess this is what makes it road legal

Colin...your pic shows a fresh air valve. .

Now days most Emission standards actually do specify several points, Crankcase emissions (these can be significant on compact high revving engines), Evaporation emission (fuel evaporating from the tank) and Exhaust emission control.

Crankcase emission is controlled by routing accumulated fuel/air mix via the crank vent through an oil separator back into the airfilter...the typical black tubes we always see and wonder what the heck they do.

Evaporation control is to prevent fuel from evaporating into the air by using a carbon filter through which the air must pass to equalize the pressure in the tank when the bike is running while the accumulated fuel gets redirected to the carburator (or fuel system with FI), when sitting unused the carbon filters any evaporating fuel. I am sure we all have seen the ugly black canisters sitting around.

What you show in your picture is part of the exhaust control system. These devices are designed to add fresh air to the exhaust. In the earlier days of emission controls they were simply adding fresh air to the exhaust, increasing the output volume and diluting the contaminants, allowing them to meet the % rate. But simply diluting the exhaust with air is no longer allowed in Europe and many other countries. Most of these devices do not change much unless they are coupled with a catalytic converter that actually can use the extra oxygen to truly reduce unburned hydrocarbons and turn CO into CO2.

In engines without catalytic converters these devices claim to reduce contaminants by adding oxygen but do so in a limited way (the temperatures are not high enough to make a significant change). The significant advantage of these devices comes to play when coupled with a catalytic converter which significantly increases the reactive temperature, practically all hydrocarbons are reduced to Hydrogen and water and most CO to CO2. This technology works more efficiently with electronic FI where an oxygen probe can vary the amount of fuel and oxygen in the exhaust port of course...but it is also very efficient in carbureted engines as long as these are calibrated properly (fairly lean) and the fresh air control valve is properly sized (trick #1).

Since I had a few minutes to explain all this...let me go back to the KLR650 (and similar models)...the KLR650 has received a catalytic converter around 2008-2009. Initially it had issues with excessive oil burning affecting the catalyst but has in the subsequent year received newly designed piston rings to allow reducing oil burning. This step made the catalytic converter efficient enough to meet E3 emission standards when originally (lean) carburated, air filter is clean, carbon fuel filter is effective and crank vent is free of oil (proper maintenance).
As explained by my friend Gerhard, all emission control systems require proper maintenance to remain effective and the redesigned piston rings require changing every 50k to 100k as needed because when oil burning starts the emission standards can no longer be met.

I hope this clarifies a bit more in detail the question about carburators and emission standards.

Back
Top Bottom