#118 roadworks update

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
This morning I decided to check on the progress of the roadworks along #118 from Doi Saket to Mae Kachan.

Starting at the Doi Saket traffic lights on 118,

GetAttachmentThumbnail-6.jpg

The work has actually progressed to about 7kms from these lights.
The riding (Honda Rebel 500) was along the patchy original surface to around 15 kms.

From around 18kms the normal 4 lane expressway cuts down to two lanes.
Although warning signs are in place a couple of near head-ons occurred in front of me; this is one on the new dangers.

GetAttachmentThumbnail-5.jpg

At 29kms at the right turn to Chai Hom the usual expressway is used.

Then from 41 kms to 45 kms there is hard packed gravel.
When this has been freshly watered the going can become slippery. Caution.

GetAttachmentThumbnail-4.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-3.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg

At 51 kms the abandoned Khmer style resort, then the expressway into Mae Kachan.

GetAttachmentThumbnail-20.jpg

I normally have a noodle dish and drink at this shop beside the highway in Mae Kachan.
Good food and friendly people.

GetAttachmentThumbnail-17.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-18.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-10.jpg

So today there was only about 12 kms of gravel and that was safely compacted.
No loose gravel or dirt.

GetAttachmentThumbnail-9.jpg

The dangers are the usual impatient hoons and freshly sprayed or rained on gravel.

So, any bike can handle this.

My guess it will be at least another year before it finished, then comes the accidents and there will be many I am sure.

And for anyone riding into or out from Chiang Mai along #118 there are major road works and delays at this 'flyover'.
But once completed ....(y)

(CityLife)

Last edited:
We drove up the 118 on Tuesday - it's much better than just a month or two back, but still plenty to do. I wonder if these mysterious punctures are due to an unnoticed piece of reinforcing steel?

There may be some delays on 118 whilst this is attended to!!

GetAttachmentThumbnail-3.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-5.jpg

(Thanks David L for pics)

All fixed now, so they say

Citylife report 1.06pm today.

" On 27th June a section of the Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai road, around km 36 past Doi Saket, collapsed following heavy rains.

Rescue workers and volunteers helped divert traffic and authorities are rushing to fix the road, but did manage to divert the traffic fairly promptly.

Following heavy rains between 3am and 5am on the morning of the 27th, flash floods swept away a bridge by a section of the road.

Motorists are urged to take the Phrao-Vieng Pa Pao road as the road is still not fixed."

Back
Top Bottom