YUNNAN-EVEREST Basecamp Bikes/4X4 expedition.

Forest

Bikes
Vstrom650,CRF250 , Ducati 900ss ,Yamaha YZ250, Virago 400 etc..
Hi everyone,I recently enquired with a known/experienced agency in china about planning and guide a trip To Everest basecamp! yes from Thailand.It would start in Chiang Mai /Chiang Kong-Laos depending on your location .It is something I always wanted to do ,and I know is in the back of some of you mind.I asked a quote for only the trip and all related permits/guide expences,not included gasoline, accomodation ,which will allow the riders to be free to choose what fits best their needs .My estimate: the trip will cost 120-130K for 33 days all inclusive of hotel/gasoline! (group costs shared by at least 4-5 riders ,please correct this if you had previous experience,but i think is about it if u are ok with decent/ clean average accomodation) I didn't include food costs since u would eat anyway/anywhere.. This is a non profit trip (the only profit is for the agency/guide ,with which i am not associated with) We would deal with them as a group or individuals.The point is get together some people willing to go so to share the 'group' expences (does not specify how many,could be 10 or more..) and there is the need of at least a car going (So to save $4800 for the rental cost) since apparently the guide in Tibet does not drive a motorbike and is compulsory he/she follows .A 4x4 or also a 2wd would do the job (as the agency confirmed we can) I do own a 4x4 as well and could drive it in case..but guess what ? I wana ride the bike if possible!! :ride: The soonest departure could be end June since it takes almost 3 months to get all the papers and permits ready..this is an amazing trip and the weather should be just right,being the hottest month in Lhasa!! ..so i thought to put it out there. Who is in??
here is it the quote I received :

Day 1 Laos/China 110KM
Met by your guide at Mogan border in the afternoon, clear the customs and drive to Mengla County and do vehicles and drivers checks and licensing.

Day 2 Mengla/Jinghong/Lancang 330KM

Day 3 Lancang/Lincang 262KM

Day 4 Lincang/Weishan/Dali(1900m)

Day 5 Dali-lijiang

Day 6 Lijiang- Shangri_la

Day 7 Shangri_la/Deqin Mt. Kawa Karpo
The drive to Deqen is simply the best way to view the great variety of landscape in the Great Rivers region. (175KM)

Day 8 Deqin /Yerkalo /Markam
Today's morning we will ride to Yekalo and visit the salt fields. Depart Yanjing in the afternoon and travel along the north of Mekong River valley into Tibet. (208KM)

Day 9 Markam/Basu
The drive to Ranwu is through alpine forest landscapes. Cross the Salween River on the way, We will explore the glacier at Ranwu and onto Basu.

Day 10 Basu/Pomi
Ride to Pomi, at a lower altitude. (230KM)

Day 11 Pomi/Bayi
We will have a chance to see the grant massif of Gyala Peri(7294m) and Namcha Barwa(7756m) on We will arrive in Pomi for overnight. (210KM)

Day 12 Bayi/Gandan/Lhasa
After the long challenging overland trip you will understand why Tibetans regard the journey to Lhasa as one of the most sacred of pilgrimages. (400KM)

Day 13 Lhasa
you will explore the holy city of Lhasa.

Day 14 Lhasa - Gyangtse (3950m)
Full day picturesque ride to Gyangtse. (Ride 261KM)

Day 15 Gyantse - Shigatse (3800m)
Visit Kumbum stupa and palchok monastery. Afternoon ride to Shigatse.(Ride 90KM)

Day 16 Shigatse -Tingri (4200m)
We will ride to Tingri.(258KM)

Day 17 Dingri - Everest Base Camp (5100m)
Ride cross the P ang La we will reach Everest Base Camp. (135KM)

Day 18 Everest Base Camp - lhatse

Day 19 lhatse to Lhasa

Day 20 Lhasa

Day 21-25 Lhasa to batang sichuan

Day 26-27 batang to Ya an

Day 28-29 Ya an to kunming

Day 30-31 kunming to jianshui yuanjiang

Day 32 yuanjiang to mengla

Day 33 mengla to Laos

Tour cost:

1. Permits for driving in China: USD4600/group
2. Support 4wd car:4800USD/group

3. Custom Clearance: USD250/bike

4. Custom Bund: 150USD/bike

5. Driver Licence and temporary plate: 120USD/person
6. Insurance: 100USD/bike

7. Tibet Travel Permit: 200USD/person

8. Everest Region Vehicle Permit: 100USD/bike
9. Operation fee: USD800/group
10: English speaking guide 2400USD/group

Not included:

Food and accommodation of the riders

All entry fees to parks, monasteries
Guide will join meals with the group

PS weather INFO from the net..
July is the hottest month of the year in Lhasa. It is warm and relatively humid. The average temperature is 16.1 °C (61.0 °F), with a minimum temperature of 10.1 °C (50.2 °F) and a maximum temperature of 22.1 °C (71.8 °C).
The sun is strong during the day, but temperatures fall after sunset and before sunrise. There are a few rainfalls, but usually at night. The rainfall may block roads and make travel difficult but also makes for the best the scenery.Ultraviolet radiation is stronger outside with the strong sunlight. Wear a sunhat, sunglasses, and sunscreen to protect yourself from the strong ultraviolet rays in this high-altitude area. Also bring lipstick or lip balm to protect your lips etc...

Gone but not forgotten the days of free vehicle (motorbike / 4x4) Tibet travel in the 1990's and early 2000's without any guides and fees necessary...
The whole Tibetan plateau and greater area lost or loosing its charm as the place turns into a tourist zoo like many other places in Mainland China!

the 'old days' may be gone but we can't stop the progress,can we?..and sure it is still worth the ride ,for the unique landscape etc..and yes the more time goes by the more it will change so...
unfortunately they set these rules ,oviously for business and then to limit the 'tourist zoo' (that will never match other better known/travelled destinations..) if u are around u should come along ;)

Gone but not forgotten the days of free vehicle (motorbike / 4x4) Tibet travel in the 1990's and early 2000's without any guides and fees necessary...
The whole Tibetan plateau and greater area lost or loosing its charm as the place turns into a tourist zoo like many other places in Mainland China!

come along

Been quite a few times out and about the Tibetan Highlands in 90's and 00's with bikes and 4x4's without guides - minders - expensive fees.
Not a big fan of organised tours and group riding in general, prefer solo riding for a very long time.

well ,I don't like 'organized' tours either.that is why I posted n requested this quote.this is a semi-organized trip..quiet open .riders can choose their own hotel,share room if they want to.choose food..But unfortunately we do need to stick to the rule to have a guide, still the route could be changed on the spot etc

Been quite a few times out and about the Tibetan Highlands in 90's and 00's with bikes and 4x4's without guides - minders - expensive fees.
Not a big fan of organised tours and group riding in general, prefer solo riding for a very long time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Forest Events & Upcoming Rides 2
Back
Top Bottom