Yamaha XS250 clean up

Steve Canyon

Bikes
SMT990
I have used this 250 everyday for the last 12 months on my way into work..

1168618407_yRcaY-M.jpg

Mechanically I look after it, but as for cleaning it, I never got round to it..

Looks like hell... :MG

26072011356-M.jpg

First thing to do is get the Frame sorted.....

Nitromoors and elbow grease....Soon... :DD

I got stuck into the frame, really was a mess but with a bit of graft is looking much better..

28072011359-L.jpg

It's taken about 15hrs to get it to this state.. :annie

30072011368-M.jpg

30072011369-M.jpg

30072011367-M.jpg

30072011371-L.jpg

30072011372-M.jpg

Next I will prep all the other paint work and get it all in colour.. :RO

I have been busy prepping parts for paint...

The tank took at least 10 hrs work, there was dents everywhere ...

06082011374-M.jpg

06082011373-M.jpg

Lots of filler dust..

12082011386-M.jpg

12082011385-M.jpg

Bit of help from the boss...

19082011394-M.jpg

20082011396-M.jpg

looking much better..

20082011402-M.jpg

20082011404-M.jpg

I cant tell you how long the wheels took... :MG

20082011395-M.jpg

And a few other bits..

20082011403-M.jpg

It really is a lot of work and a test of resolve....great fun..

:RO

Had to re-do the tank...

24082011406-M.jpg

Now I'm happy with it...time for some colour..

27082011411-M.jpg

The Frame looks a whole lot better..

27082011415-M.jpg

27082011414-M.jpg

Time to get the Engine fixed... :RO

It was running ok, but who know's what I'll find once I get it in pieces...

I'll strip it this week... :DD

I am a real fan of the Yamaha singles. Take a look at this beautiful SR500 built in the US. Be nice to able to buy it.
Google, Lossa Engineering in California if you want to see more info on it and photos.

YamahaSR500.jpg

There where great looking in the day, now they just look even better...

I love the old stuff..... :RO

Easy stuff i reckon...

2038.jpg

XTSM14.jpg

Perhaps I should get the saw out :DD

I dont want to know the price Phil, as i would surely fold and order one. They can be ordered from Lossa Engineering who make lots of old bikes into club racers but as usual, Thailand would be the most difficult place to import it to.
I like the older bikes to. So open and easy to work on compared to the squeezed in equipment on modern bikes with all the emission control and FI
I would like a mint Z1

Why not find a legit SR here and work on it at a template.. Much of whats been done there is possible to replicate, and if you got a tight SR to begin with your base would be ok. Sure a legit booked SR isnt the easiest thing to find, but it is possible.

I did ok out of my streetfighter plan, it came out about what I wanted going in.. Tho I am not totally happy on the front headlight setup.

I am constantly tempted by a w650 project.. Theres loads of tracker conversions for this machine and something like

0b75444c62322d7432e9e23c6b8f6af9a1a98890_m.jpg

With a 2 person saddle just hits me as a great look and should be pretty useable. I like the tracker bars and position more than the cafe clip ons as a more useable ride. SR's W650's even a GB400 would all make an ok base to set the grinder on and make something your own.

Just need more spanner room.. A shed a shed.. My kingdom for a shed !!

How longs a piece of string Phil ??

Depends how hog wild you go.. Importing all the bits that take your fancy or sourcing and fabbing stuff locally and making do out of parts bins.. Omars Dirt track Racing has tails and tanks, bar sets, and the like.. So if your lazy you can just order and go..

Paintwork and powdercoat is not hard locally.. And if you started with a good clean late model your not likely to have too many issues with smooth running, mechanicals, or engine bodges, which is the big grey area and trouble here IMO.

Back of a fag packet guess ?? 250 - 300 top whack.. Putting 150 - 200 into a bike to begin, and another 50 in parts and work each. Less if you hunt local and spanner yourself. If you hung on for the right 650 (I missed a booked w650 a year or two back for 130 with a farang leaving) or used the less pretty XS650 as a base maybe less. Careful spending might even get there at 200k or less fully legal, which I think is a hell of an appealing bike for the money. Or just take the lines and work to any thing you can find, I saw a CB175 twin for 50k recently and I know it would look close, with the twin pipes and all.. The GB250's or GB400s could be a donor also but the W650 or a Trumpet ($$) is the perfect base IMO.

Pikey showed me this one based on a Bonnie.. And have to admit that gives me a bit of a lob on too !!

SP-0148-1-L709.jpg

http://www.mecatwin.com/en/motos/triump ... /index.htm

Trackers just have a 'real bike' look to me.. As do the modern scramblers.. Simple, useable, and cool. Also feels a little like every half assed hipsters got a bad attempt cafe build to go with the sailor tatt and ironic facial hair, and once its got hipster taint its ruined by association :)

That French outfit seems to do a kit package too.. But a lot of the fun would be making it your own.

Very insightful - might be my next rainy season project, you cant beat how they look.

LivinLOS said:
How longs a piece of string Phil ??

Depends how hog wild you go.. Importing all the bits that take your fancy or sourcing and fabbing stuff locally and making do out of parts bins.. Omars Dirt track Racing has tails and tanks, bar sets, and the like.. So if your lazy you can just order and go..

Paintwork and powdercoat is not hard locally.. And if you started with a good clean late model your not likely to have too many issues with smooth running, mechanicals, or engine bodges, which is the big grey area and trouble here IMO.

Back of a fag packet guess ?? 250 - 300 top whack.. Putting 150 - 200 into a bike to begin, and another 50 in parts and work each. Less if you hunt local and spanner yourself. If you hung on for the right 650 (I missed a booked w650 a year or two back for 130 with a farang leaving) or used the less pretty XS650 as a base maybe less. Careful spending might even get there at 200k or less fully legal, which I think is a hell of an appealing bike for the money. Or just take the lines and work to any thing you can find, I saw a CB175 twin for 50k recently and I know it would look close, with the twin pipes and all.. The GB250's or GB400s could be a donor also but the W650 or a Trumpet ($$) is the perfect base IMO.

Pikey showed me this one based on a Bonnie.. And have to admit that gives me a bit of a lob on too !!

SP-0148-1-L709.jpg

Trackers just have a 'real bike' look to me.. As do the modern scramblers.. Simple, useable, and cool. Also feels a little like every half assed hipsters got a bad attempt cafe build to go with the sailor tatt and ironic facial hair, and once its got hipster taint its ruined by association :)

That French outfit seems to do a kit package too.. But a lot of the fun would be making it your own.

Just realized something.. Maybe you read

I did ok out of my streetfighter plan, it came out about what I wanted going in.. Tho I am not totally happy on the front headlight setup.

And thought that w650 is what I meant.. Thats a famous DEUS build out of Oz, and not at all mine or the quality of work I am up to. Far more rounded bolts, skinned knuckles and cursing for my attempts.

And back to reality with a mukky old engine... :LOL

01092011439-M.jpg

01092011441-M.jpg

01092011442-M.jpg

01092011445-M.jpg

01092011447-M.jpg

01092011449-M.jpg

Not to bad, will crack the cases open later, the oil light went out on the starter so I don't think wear is a problem, just lots of cleaning....

The head just needs the seats doing and a quick grind...

Going to put some new rings in it, hone the bores and that will do the job ...

Great old engines...

Chris - doesn't look so bad at all - are you going to replace all the shaft seals while they're easy to get to?

Back
Top Bottom