WR200 with green book 70k

LivinLOS

Bikes
Gas Gas 250 (Trials), YZ250 (enduro), DRZ440 (Supermoto) CBR900 Streetfighter (scary !!)
Fully running WR200 with green book (not in my name) and plate (currently not even on the bike).

7452502736_c478356cf1_c.jpg

Powervalve working properly and unmodified. Solid runner with functioning autolube system. Anodized wheels / hubs and other vanity / shiny bits.

Has green book and plate in Thai name with signed ID etc, am told it could get a name change if a little bit is paid to smooth the process but never worried me. I intend to have it freshly taxed this week.

0 miles since last full service of oils and fluids.
Brand new barkbusters.
Brand new fork seals.
Just spent a few 5 or 6000 on tidy up parts and then unridden.

Parts and consumables (clutches cables brakes etc) are all available from singapore where these sold quite well.

Minor imperfections and modifications as to be expected of a bike this age and price. But good solid little 2 stroke for bush bashing that doesnt mind a bit of tarmac hopping in between.

Does not have indicators / brake activated rear light etc.. Its been just used off road.

70,000 ovno. Bike in Chiang Mai area.

7452516012_66e3b5ef11_c.jpg

7452511352_038065434d_c.jpg

7452506744_efa4196f92_c.jpg

Good review here:

http://onlytrailbikes.com/2010/10/27/ya ... oods-bike/

yamaha-wr200r-912.jpg

So you start reading the title – and you ask; what in the world is a Yamaha WR200? Yes, it was made, and yes, it is a real bike. For those of you that were riding back in the early 90?s, you may have had the chance to ride one of these rare machines. Yamaha introduced the WR200 in the early 1990?s to compete with the Kawasaki KDX200 which was a successful bike for over a decade. The “WR” stands for wide ratio for all of you curious readers. The design came from a street-bike (yes, a street-bike) that was popular in Europe, and was sold in Canada as the Yamaha DT200. The engine is derived from the old air-cooled Yamaha IT200, and Blaster designs. Yamaha transformed it into a torquey, liquid cooled engine with smooth power from top to bottom. The bike itself was a perfect mix between a 125, and 250. It had the agility of the 125, and the grunt of a 250. It is very rare to see one of these around. For reasons unknown, it was only in the United States for about a year, and then it was gone. I remember seeing them on the showroom floors thinking how it looked like a better bike than the KDX (Suspension was more modern, larger brakes) but it just did not sell well. I guess the YZ250 made a damn good trail bike, and it still does!

1991 WR 200

Many people complained of power that was – ahem…..four stroke like. You can fill in the dots on that one! These complaints were soon addressed by FMF and Boyeson. Both companies sought to desgin exhausts and performance reeds for the WR200. These parts can still be had today. The folks who upgraded their stock exhaust were greeted with a bike that transformed into a monster. It went from a nice likable little thumper humming about on the trails, to a blood thirsty, screaming two stroke with a case of roid’ rage induced roost throwing episodes. The suspension needed some work from the factory, but that all comes down to rider preference. A re-valve, and new springs seemed to do the trick. The brakes were YZ-esque of the day, and stopped well. Jetting needed some attention, but what stock bike has great jetting from the factory? Not many. Do an online search – you will find a lot of personal reviews that show this was a solid bike.

Would I buy one if I stumbled across a clean example? Yep, I am a sucker for nostalgia, and rare bikes. I would race it, and attempt to beat newer bikes. That always makes for a fun conversation piece. At the end of the day though, the YZ250 makes a damn good trail bike. Maybe that is why the WR200 failed….a good bike, but YZ250 good? Buy a WR200 if you can find one, and you be the judge.

Back
Top Bottom