World Superbikes in Indonesia 2013???

The World Superbike Championship could make a long-awaited return to Asia in 2013 with reports that a deal has been agreed with Indonesia's Sentul circuit.

While there has been no official announcement from Infront Sports & Media, rights holders for WSBK, Tinton Soeprapto, director of PT Sarana Sirkuitindo Utama - which manages the Sentul International Circuit - told local media that a deal has been signed for 2013-2015.

An agreement was also announced to host a round of the Superstars Car Racing Championship, also organised by the Flamini brothers/FG Sport, from 2012-2014.

”The contract value of one Superstars series [event] is around 3 million to 4 million euro/year or 35,65 billion rupiahs to 47,53 billion rupiahs/year. The Superbike contract is also around that value,” Tinton told Kompas.com, adding that the money was coming from private sponsors and not the government.”

Sentul aims to use the WSBK and Superstars events as a springboard to hosting furture grand prix rounds. The circuit is currently being re-surfaced to reach 'international standard'.

”Having international bike and car championships in Indonesia will lift the name of Indonesia worldwide. Also, if Indonesia holds those events successfully, it will be easier to hold F1 and MotoGP in this country,” said Tinton.

Sentul last hosted a WSBK event from 1994 to 1997. Rounds in Malaysia and Japan also featured on the WSBK calendar during the 1990s.

However, an Asian event has been absent from the schedule ever since the 2003 round in Sugo, Japan - the Japanese manufacturers having subsequently withdrawn 'official' support for the series over the 2004 technical rules.

Sentul had been provisionally named on the 2008 WSBK calendar, but didn't make the final cut, while rumours of a deal with Sepang in Malaysia have run off-and-on in recent years.

Indonesia is one of the most important markets for motorcycle sales in the world and its significance to the major motorcycle manufacturers has grown even further following the financial crisis.

If this turns out to be true, I sincerely hope that the powers that be in Thai Motorsport pull their finger out and follow the example of the Indonesians...They really are mad on motorsport.
A resurfacing of Sentul track, attracting WSBK's with the aim of F1 and MotoGP in the future, magic words to come out of the mouth of any organizing body. Interesting to note that it was with private not government financial backing though..

What an awesome excuse for a holiday to Indonesia in 2013!!! :DD :DD :RO

seems the deal has been done.....

World Superbikes makes return to Sentul in five-year deal
21/02/2012

Sentul hasn't seen any Superbike action for 15 years

By WSB desk

World Superbikes will make a return to the Indonesian circuit of Sentul after a 15-year absence now that have bosses signed a five-year deal to race at the track starting in 2013.

The contract was signed in the presence of Minister Dr. H.R. Agung Laksono, who coordinates the work of five different ministries that include the Ministry of Sport, as well as numerous leading figures from the worlds of politics, sport and business. The Indonesian Government will furthermore start up the promotion of the event by means of the creation of a government task force that will sustain the economic, logistical, promotion and administrative requirements of the organiser.

"We are proud of the growth of the Superbike calendar, which thanks to the inclusion of the latest rounds is obtaining a presence in countries of major importance for the development of our championship on a sporting and commercial level," said WSBK boss Maurizio Flammini.

"After Russia, where Superbike has now arrived before any other world motorsport championship, thanks to more than two years of intense work in the Asian area, we have now been able to insert Indonesia, which has in the past already played host to a race of considerable success and appeal, in the calendar.

"Indonesia today is a country with the largest growth factors: GDP is more than one trillion dollars, with a 2011 growth of more than 6%, and the sale of bikes widely exceeds 7 million units per year.

"The Superbike race will therefore be a great opportunity for the motorcycle manufacturers present in our championship. We are also negotiating with the Buddh International Circuit in India, where the Formula 1 race was recently held, in order to complete a presence in Asia that in this case will be absolutely extraordinary."

Fantastic news for race fans in Asia and further proof that world motorcycle sport is losing its 'Euro-centricity'.

Indonesia, is, of course a massive market for bike sales (7m++ annual new bike sales) and MotoGP mad. It is interesting that the reaction on my Twitter timeline, which is full of Indonesians fans, is "Great, but when will MotoGP come here?" WSBK has a bit of work to do in marketing terms, but with another boring MotoGP season in prospect as the 1000s and CRTs get bedded in, I am sure they will be ready for WSBK by next year!

One very easy way for WSBK to ensure huge crowds and TV audiences at every track............Valentino Rossi!!!

Stokes70 said:
One very easy way for WSBK to ensure huge crowds and TV audiences at every track............Valentino Rossi!!!

Now there's an idea. Ducati have quite a competitive package in WSBK ;-)

Rossi v Biaggi again, now that would be awesome.....

Also published on my 'Under the Helmet' Blog

Time for Indonesia and World Superbikes to get to know each other

This week’s announcement that Indonesia’s Sentul Circuit will return to the World Superbike calendar was greeted enthusiastically by fans across South East Asia. If my Twitter list is at all representative, Indonesia accounts for the vast majority of motorcycle racing followers in the region. What was most interesting about the comments in my timeline is that so many of them said “Wow, that’s great … when will MotoGP get here?” The success of motorcycle racing’s premier class has been enormous in Indonesia, where more than 7m new motorcycles are sold annually, and recognition of the country’s importance is reflected in the prominent “Semakin Di Depan” (moving ahead) and “Satu Hati” (One Heart) sponsorship sported by the Yamaha and Honda factory bikes and riders.

0300_P01_Melandri_action_Edit.jpg

In strategic terms it looks very much as though World Superbike is attacking MotoGP at a moment of weakness, as it enters a transitional year of 1000cc manufacturer bikes mixing with CRT hybrids. While it is interesting for the race nerds amongst us and necessary for the long term health of the sport, it is unlikely to provide much of a competitive spectacle in the coming season.

Taking my Twitter list, which contains around 400 Indonesian MotoGP fans as a sample, the demographics could hardly be more attractive to sponsors. I am quite sure that not a single one of them is more than 35 years old, they are all graduates or undergraduates, speak fluent English and are very internet savvy.

World Superbike has now grabbed their attention by making their announcement about Sentul a few days before the opening round at Phillip Island and, on day one, is putting on a fantastic show. In the first qualifying session, just one second separates fastest man Jonathan Rea from Hiroshi Aoyama in 15th place. New fans are also sure to enjoy the intensity of tomorrow’s Superpole qualifying and the fact that there are two races – of similar length to a MotoGP round – at each meeting. The supporting Supersport 600 class is also intensely competitive and at a level that will not disappoint regular observers of Moto2.

Indonesia’s knowledgeable, enthusiastic MotoGP fans now have a very good reason to take a close look at World Superbikes and I predict that they will enjoy the show and will have taken it to their hearts by the time the series gets to Sentul next season.

For my Twitter friends and others who are new to World Superbikes, I recommend that taking a look at the 2012 preview video on the official site will be a good way to get up to speed. It contains plenty of information about teams and riders and footage from each round in 2011.
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Cj9VV1E0tuA[/VIDEO]
http://www.youtube.com/user/AsiaRoadRac ... re=g-all-u" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[ytplaylist:3h0hjugs]B66C0AE75D4E8C99[/ytplaylist:3h0hjugs]
TV coverage in Asia is on Star Sports ESPN, subject to local scheduling.

Back
Top Bottom