Why are they so darn good?

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
I was lucky enough to watch the Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGP events tonight from the Aragon circuit.

Something that is blatantly obvious is that the Spanish and Italian riders dominate.

For example;

Moto3 8 of the top 9 are either Spanish or Italian.

Moto2 5 of the top 8 are either Spanish or Italian.

MotoGP 7 of the top 8 are either Spanish or Italian. (with 1st, 2nd and 3rd being Spanish in tonight's race)

I'm wondering why these Spanish and Italian guys dominate as they do.
I don't follow racing fanatically but I'm wondering if my question can stimulate an informed discussion.

I was lucky enough to watch the Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGP events tonight from the Aragon circuit.
Envious!
How about Rossi? He must have some good doctors and pain control, as well as amazing resilience.
And it looks like Aprilia development has progressed :) - that bike ran competitively with the second group, on this track at least. Even the KTM showed it was good in the early stages.

I'm wondering why these Spanish and Italian guys dominate as they do.
I understand the Spanish have very early and strong rider development programmes. Not sure about Italy. And of course there are a lot of people close to motorcycle tracks. I'm sure some of it comes down to authorities being supportive. Here's another view about Spain : http://www.visordown.com/news/racing/moto-gp/the-secret-behind-spains-racing-talent

Thank you 'oldbloke'.
Interesting comments by Pedrosa;

" ... "But the Spanish federation, the Catalan federation, they take a lot of care of these young kids which maybe now they are eight, nine, ten-years-old and maybe in ten years we see them racing here," said Dani, "I think this is the key, basically. Spain believes in motorcycling." An important point that he highlights by the fact that when stopped at the traffic lights, the road is lined with people on scooters all ready for a race."

Conversely, according to Casey Stoner in his excellent autobiography 'Pushing the Limits', the Australian Junior Road Racing Association
only made life more difficult for him by obstructing his progress as a junior rider, hence his relocation, with his parents, to Europe "to chase the dream". :vee:
And what a magnificent fulfillment of dream-chasing he achieved.

Back
Top Bottom