Who makes the best hydration ("Camelback") bladders?

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Who makes the best hydration ("Camelback") bladders?

I've had the MSR Drom & the Platypus bladders both develop leaks around fittings "welded" to the bladder body. Admittedly, they've had a tough life with lots of shock loading from enduro crashes.

Anyone have a recommendation for the best bladder?

These military spec. bladders get some good recommendations

http://source-military.com/stand-alone/ ... valve.html

wxp-2l-storm-valve.jpg

More here

http://source-military.com/13-hydration-packs

They even have an ingenious funnel so that you can refill the bladder through the drinking tube, by removing the bite valve and inserting the funnel in the end for refilling.

uta.jpg

Are there any decent ones for sale in CM?

I use the Deuter one, you can find them in just about any mountain bike shop, I have had mine now for about 4 years with no problem.

Frank Smith690 said:
I use the Deuter one, you can find them in just about any mountain bike shop, I have had mine now for about 4 years with no problem.
Good tip, I wouldn't have thought to look there. How much would a suitable pack cost? And how big a pack do you use? I see they have them up to 20 l., but I wouldn't want to have that kind of weight hanging on my shoulders on a long ride. I'm guessing a 3-4 l. pack would generally be enough, or...?

Tom said:
Frank Smith690 said:
Good tip, I wouldn't have thought to look there. How much would a suitable pack cost? And how big a pack do you use? I see they have them up to 20 l., but I wouldn't want to have that kind of weight hanging on my shoulders on a long ride. I'm guessing a 3-4 l. pack would generally be enough, or...?

For extended trail riding 3 liters seems to be the perfect size, also get a water filter then you can refill it.... for big trips a dropper bottle of iodine too, a few drops of iodine will kill any gardia.

The one I have is 3 ltr, that is the biggest in them shops, I think it was 2-3 thousand baht. And you can even buy a hose cleaner brush.

Thanks guys. I'll definitely go and get one of these for an upcoming road trip i have planned. Any tips for preparation before first use?

Tom said:
Thanks guys. I'll definitely go and get one of these for an upcoming road trip i have planned. Any tips for preparation before first use?

Pounce uses mint mouthwash to clean his out which seems an interesting idea. Any other cleaners (bleach , detergent etc...) leave a bad taste no matter how many times they've been rinsed afterwards.

Frank Smith690 said:
You could throw half a bottle of jack and coke in it, ha ha ha
I think my trip might end up being rather short if I did that :lost . Anyway, I found a lot of stuff about cleaning the bladder (no, the other one!) on various hiking-sites.

KTMphil said:
Any other cleaners (bleach , detergent etc...) leave a bad taste no matter how many times they've been rinsed afterwards
Yes, I read that too. No dish-washing liquid, Vixol or other stuff of that nature. The plastic absorbs a bit of it and comes out again over time. Mouthwash might be worth trying.

Frank Smith690 said:
You could throw half a bottle of jack and coke in it, ha ha ha , I just rinsed mine out!!!!

Good thinking, the Jack would help keep the bladder/tube sterilised during long trips. Will give it a try and report back.....

I have used just about everyone of Camelbak's military models and they are ok, not brilliant.
But I have also had problems with leaking and started getting bored with the rubbery taste of the water.

My friends that still are in the army swear to the Source bladders now.

Make sure you get one with a large opening so you can drop large piece of ice (1/2L bottles frozen overnight, then cut open and the ice taken out) into it, like the ones with the ziplock bar at the top, like the Source.

Just ordered the Leatt Hydration System so its compatible with my Leatt neck brace. It holds 2.5L and is a good size for day rides around Chiang Mai. It also has a handsfree system with quick release if needed. Not sure what the bladder is like.

LEATTH2.jpg

HHF1.jpg

I currently have a Camelbak Back-pack which holds 3L. Access to refill is good and the screw cap is easy to use and large enough to chuck ice etc in. I clean it with baby bottle cleaning fluid then throw it into the steam steriliser. I would suggest the long thin tube cleaning brushes that Frank mentioned earlier as its difficult to get all the minging bits out otherwise. The material seems very durable and has been through plenty of crashes and still going strong!

CamelBak-Hydration-Bladder.jpg

Is the what Darren wears?

johnnysneds said:
Just ordered the Leatt Hydration System so its compatible with my Leatt neck brace. It holds 2.5L and is a good size for day rides around Chiang Mai. It also has a handsfree system with quick release if needed. Not sure what the bladder is like.

LEATTH2.jpg

HHF1.jpg

I currently have a Camelbak Back-pack which holds 3L. Access to refill is good and the screw cap is easy to use and large enough to chuck ice etc in. I clean it with baby bottle cleaning fluid then throw it into the steam steriliser. I would suggest the long thin tube cleaning brushes that Frank mentioned earlier as its difficult to get all the minging bits out otherwise. The material seems very durable and has been through plenty of crashes and still going strong!

CamelBak-Hydration-Bladder.jpg

You mean you're supposed to clean the bladders????

Jeez, I just throw the empty bladder in the freezer between rides.

bigntall said:
A study was published recently that concluded that this practice is a major cause of growth-impediment in caucasian males... :RE

No, I think his is a back pack that he's fabricated onto his neck roll/brace

johnnysneds said:
Frank Smith690 said:
You could throw half a bottle of jack and coke in it, ha ha ha , I just rinsed mine out!!!!

Good thinking, the Jack would help keep the bladder/tube sterilised during long trips. Will give it a try and report back.....

I don't want to be responsible for any actions that occur from this little project of sterilization. hahhahahaha

... not in the subject but had to be said... can't stop staring at Frank's avatar... hahaha

On the same subject, just bought a da kine hydration pack as I wasn't happy with my camelback. It is extremely light and contains a small pocket for an inner tube and pump:

Dakine-session-hydration-pack-inner.jpg

207091_3_1

I only use Camelbak and Deuter. Yep u gotta clean the baldders, air dry them and they lasts like 10 years.Camelbak Mule is great if you're carrying stuffs in em.

Faz Harris said:
I only use Camelbak and Deuter. Yep u gotta clean the baldders, air dry them and they lasts like 10 years.Camelbak Mule is great if you're carrying stuffs in em.

I'll have these Israeli military bladders next week & we'll see how well made they are

ilps-3l.jpg

What's their capacity? Looks tough....I have a new hydrapack bladder...so far so good....!

Faz Harris said:
Great....looks like it carries as much as your avatar...hahahahahahaha...

I guess that would be a bactrian camelback ;)

Tom said:
bigntall said:
A study was published recently that concluded that this practice is a major cause of growth-impediment in caucasian males... :RE

Good to know as I was blaming the postman all these years :G .

Frank Smith690 said:
bigntall said:
You mean you're supposed to clean the bladders????

Ya along with ya dirty boots hahahahahahahahha

Hahaha. I even started putting the socks in there to get rid of the smell on the road. It all worked good until I drowned the bike next. Remember this?

P1070903-L.jpg

Phil - That bladder looks a strange shape. Will it fit into whatever hydration pack you're using?

Da Kine hydration pack
Careful inspection before purchase, The Da Kine hydration pack looks like a quality piece of gear.
The slide opening on the bladder is very useful, making it easy to fill and most important clean.
The quick disconnect fittings on the hose are also of good quality.
Now this was not real cheap, but a good purchase for a very important piece of gear.

However a few problems cropped up that would otherwise never occurred to me when looking at the product in the store.
While riding the hose would continuously catch on my helmet when trying to turn my head? Several adjustments to the straps and clips improved this bothersome problem, but did not eliminate it. The hose in this unit is large diameter and stiff.

Also the unusual mouthpiece also caused some problems. To stop the flow of water the mouthpiece assembly must be pulled in and out, this requires 2 hands. Otherwise the mouthpiece can drip, on my setup, this means the water is dripping on the pouch that carries one of my cameras (not waterproof). Therefore turning it off is essential. During the first several weeks of using this unit, these things were minor annoyances however it seems that the O ring inside the mouthpiece must have expanded, making opening the valve a major job. Now in order to get water the Leatherman was required!
[highlight=#ffffbf:1hhq2x3u]Now getting a sip of water was as much fun as changing a flat tire (rear)![/highlight:1hhq2x3u]
Fortunately I had a pile of old Camelback parts, and the tried and true hose and mouthpiece fit directly on to the valve at the bottom of the bladder. Problem fixed. The Camelback hose behaves perfectly and the valve is easy to use and trouble free.

[highlight=#ffffbf:1hhq2x3u]Month 2, the plastic clip on the bladder broke which holds the bladder upright in the backpack[/highlight:1hhq2x3u].

[highlight=#ffff40:1hhq2x3u]Next time I buy the old trusty Camelback![/highlight:1hhq2x3u]

Ka Kine Mouthpiece and hose
problems.jpg
Ka Kine Backpack, with Camelback hose and mouthpiece
Da-Kine.jpg

Ive had the exact same problems with the slide bladder I have - clip to hold upright has snapped off and sticky on off o ring on mouth piece

I used one for the first time yesterday and managed to drink around 3L as opposed to my usual 5-600ml bottle.

Some cleaning tips using vinegar or bleach...

Loop said:
I used one for the first time yesterday and managed to drink around 3L as opposed to my usual 5-600ml bottle.

Some cleaning tips using vinegar or bleach to clean them...

Will leave a nasty taste ... i still like the mint Listerine mouth wash idea

KTMphil said:
Will leave a nasty taste ... i still like the mint Listerine mouth wash idea

Vinegar taste might come in handy if we have chips at a lunch stop one day :?

Thoroughly cleaning the pipes and bladder witha camelbak cleaning kit , then air dry it shud be the best.....no funny smell.....I use a bit of dishwasher and heavily rinsing the items.

Back
Top Bottom