Where can a motorbike cross the chao phraya in Bkk?

samuttodd

Bikes
CB 500X
Evening folks, I am trying to find out which bridges crossing the Chao Phraya in Bkk are open to 2 wheeled traffic? I hear that there are ferries that you can cross over with as well, and after an hour or so of searching I can not seem to get their info or map locations. Any ideas on where I can get that info? Specifically, the most downstream crossing (closest to the gulf) ferry or bridge that will accomodate a motorbike.

Thanks for your help.

As far as I know this is the southernmost ferry crossing of the Chao Phraya river. Search for Phra Pradaeng on a map....theres one ferry further south but I think its a passenger ferry only.
B537BB7F-9E57-4B96-B267-2A829265E7E2.png
25271069-FAF9-4074-963A-805AE46C9284.png

If you have a GPS, download the Nightrider map from this forum it will guide you along the motorcycle only routes.

Posted in GT-Rider.com which is same as the above I believe

Google Maps

map.

You can get to the ferry by going down Sukhumvit 50 (Tesco Lotus, On Nut) and turning left at the tee-junction onto the 3114. Careful if you go early, though, as it is one-way against you till 0900 to ease rush hour traffic. The 3114 is vaguely interesting as it is the dock road and takes you past a bit of industry and the odd naval ship.

The second traffic lights you come to allow you to turn right onto the 3113 (clearly signposted). This road is still quite industrial and you will see at least one place restoring big bikes if you look to the right. At the end of the 3113 is a slip road to a perfectly servicable bridge. You are not allowed on it, though, so carry on to the end of the road where the ferry awaits you.

It only takes a few minutes to cross the river then you need to head for the road to Hua Hin. It's best to follow the bulk of the other bikes as they leave the ferry as they will be heading for the main road. Don't bother heading for the 9, which you will be able to see in the distance to your left. Instead, keep Bangkok to your right and head for the 35.

Congratulations! You are now on a pretty direct road to Hua Hin. Going this way instead of battling along Rama IV and over the bridge (that bikes ARE allowed to use) I knocked an hour off my normal journey time.

Phra Pradaeng Pier, Greater Bangkok Area.
13.65698, 100.53718 (coming from East i.e. Chon Buri)
13.65728, 100.53390 (coming from west or south i.e. Samut Sakhon)

Hey thanks for the information I’m gonna save it. I hate the idea of having a ride through Bangkok but at least now I know how to get through there

Back
Top Bottom