What You Don’t Know About TripAdvisor

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
What You Don’t Know About TripAdvisor

It’s no secret that most travelers will eventually end up on TripAdvisor when planning their vacation. It has become the Google of the travel world, where people go for honest, unbiased reviews of hotels, restaurants, sights and activities by fellow travelers. Except the information on TripAdvisor is anything but honest and unbiased, and it’s only getting worse. If you’ve only seen the good side of TripAdvisor, be prepared to swallow the red pill. Ignorance isn’t bliss when it comes to vacation planning, especially in expensive destinations like Paris, so this in-depth article will attempt to show you what’s behind the curtain (the summary is first if you just want the main points). The purpose isn’t to rant, but to provide information travelers can use to make better decisions when planning a trip, and to raise awareness in general about how TripAdvisor’s profit-driven practices affect both travelers and small businesses.

The full story is here: What You Don’t Know About TripAdvisor

Interesting article. Thanks Auke.

Good read and I'm sure they are all at it, I'm pretty sure that booking.com are doing the same thing when it comes to customers reviews.

Cheers Auke. Interesting and not surprising article.

Yep, now I will admit that I was able to keep my Chiang Mai restaurant at number one on Trip Adviser, for well over a year, easily.

i have had dealings with tripadvisor while trying to run a small B&B, i have nothing nice to say about them so i won't say anything at all!

oops too late

Rob

Yes.Ditto Gnasher.
Tried to help a small Loei Mom & Pop hotel with a TA listing and review, but TA would not publish as they didn't think it qualified as a hotel ... ie, Mom & Pop wud not sign up with TA.
But Booking.com ... until I hear differently, their reviews only come from guests that actually stay at the hotel, so in my book, it does differentiate them from TA in the quality & genuiness of the reviews.

Yes.Ditto Gnasher.
Tried to help a small Loei Mom & Pop hotel with a TA listing and review, but TA would not publish as they didn't think it qualified as a hotel ... ie, Mom & Pop wud not sign up with TA.
But Booking.com ... until I hear differently, their reviews only come from guests that actually stay at the hotel, so in my book, it does differentiate them from TA in the quality & genuiness of the reviews.

i agree, our B&B is listed on tripadvisor , booking.com.and two other agents.
we do not have a business listing on tripadvisor as i will not pay the LARGE ​fee that you have to pay to get a business listing.
also anybody can review your establishment and this happens frequently.

booking. com were easier to deal with and they do only publish reviews from guests.

i have seen how tripadvisor operate and remember the old saying "buyer beware"

Back
Top Bottom