Watch out for FedEx and import taxes

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
Ordered a bike lithium battery from the us for 100 usd. FedEx notifies me the fee+tax is 2790.00 baht, which is 90% of the value of the item.

Outragous.

FedEx.jpg

Re: Watch out for import taxes on batteries!

Its not the battery its the wankers at Fed Ex taking the piss.

ALL the big couriers are the same, FedEx, UPS, DHL, TNT.

I wont use couriers now because I have been shafted too often.

Better to use USPS, Duestche mail, Royal Mail or whatever is the national mail service in the country you order from.

LUFC said:
Its not the battery its the wankers at Fed Ex taking the piss.

ALL the big couriers are the same, FedEx, UPS, DHL, TNT.

I wont use couriers now because I have been shafted too often.

Better to use USPS, Duestche mail, Royal Mail or whatever is the national mail service in the country you order from.

You're right, thing is I never had to pay this before so I was really surprised. Though 1,306 baht is a very big 10% on approx. 3,100 baht battery.

A shipito account & U.S Post air shipment is the safe way.

MastaMax said:
Ordered a bike lithium battery from the us for 100 usd. FedEx notifies me the tax is 2790.00 baht, which is 90% of the value of the item.

Outragous.

[attachment=0:3bqberuc]FedEx.jpg[/attachment:3bqberuc]

MastaMax said:
Ordered a bike lithium battery from the us for 100 usd. FedEx notifies me the tax is 2790.00 baht, which is 90% of the value of the item.

Outragous.

[attachment=0:20tsr09b]FedEx.jpg[/attachment:20tsr09b]

KTMphil said:

MastaMax said:

Outragous.

[attachment=0:i4mz8vrd]FedEx.jpg[/attachment:i4mz8vrd]

Indeed... Thought it's just a 100usd battery, can't be bad. Anyways, I know for next time and won't do the same mistake with my gps ;) thanks to you.

As info: Still haven't got my battery (paid extra FedEx express service and it's been 11 days), and the FedEx contact in Thailand can't bloody understand English. So again...
AVOID FEDEX LIKE THE PLAGUE!

I have dealt with all the major courier companies in my 8 odd years of dealing with logistics in Thailand, all of them have at one time or another dropped the ball and created problems for me but...

They may be taking the piss with their customs handling fee (not the customs duty amount itself -that is not their fault) but did you check their handling fees before you authorized them to handle the duty process?

Have you tracked the shipment on their website? Do that and you can see what the hold-up is, still stuck in customs or whatever else, is customs closed for the holidays?

They do have English speaking staff, once you have found where your package is call them and get a manager on line and they will most likely listen to you and either refund the express charge or do something else to placate you if the delay is due to them having failed in any way.

Also spending 5 minutes on Thai customs website tells me that the duties for batteries are 35%, add to this 7% VAT meaning that on a 100$ item you end up paying 44.45$ (or approximately 1'378 THB) in duties, fair enough.

Still Clearance delay since the 19th of December, don't know what the f**k they are waiting for as I sent them all the documents they needed (copy of passport) one hour after I got the notification (19th of December in the morning) and also agreed to pay their fee.

I asked them when the package would arrive and got a reply "acknowledge ka". That's not much of an answer...

I'm not happy with the service at all, ordered a lot of stuff from the States before but never with FedEx, and never had to pay anything but the import tax. FedEx is more expensive + they add an outrageous custom clearance fee.

Anyways it's okay as I can live without my battery for another few days/weeks but just want to warn people to watch out with FedEx.

If their website states "clearance delay" it means that the item is in customs.
You can most likely see that on the site -if there is a line saying "shipment scanned in to customs" and there is no line saying "shipment scanned out of customs" then the shipment is still in customs.

The delay is most likely due to the holiday -customs are inundated with packages from Santa...

This looks like a good enough place to start :DD

Welcome to the world of importing. :D

The "rip-off" if that is what we want to call it is the 1200 Baht "fee" and the 200 baht. The rest seems OK.

Also spending 5 minutes on Thai customs website tells me that the duties for batteries are 35%, add to this 7% VAT meaning that on a 100$ item you end up paying 44.45$ (or approximately 1'378 THB) in duties, fair enough.

This is not strictly correct as the 35% and VAT has to include the shipping cost (Ie. the landed cost). It looks like FedEx only used a figure of $20 for shipping. So in retrospect maybe the "rip off" is not so bad. If they are going to deliver to your place.

Had you have done it with ThaiPost it may have been cheaper but you would either have to go to the local post office or in BKK to the ThaiPost customs office at Hualampong. In CNX I don't know where one would go.

Well if you want an update now I'm been asked to get an import licence...

And about FedEx for the price I pay I expect them at least to have a fast and competent service, but as for now they reply once every 2 days. It's been over 2 weeks now, FedEx express priority service.

At some point I'm just gonna call them and tell them to stick my battery up their a** and just order a new one with the ShipTo and USPS.

No as I haven't got my package yet though I agreed last week to pay it. At this stage I don't care anymore about fees, taxes, VAT, VAT on VAT and VAT on the total of the VAT on VAT...

That may have been the stumbling block as the van delivery guy may not be able to accept payment and Fed Ex is not going to fork out to customs until paid.

I had a similar problem years ago as i wanted to attend a job interview here so got some "interview" clothes sent here. Same BS. No idea what happened to my clothes.

Looks like it's on the good way now:
"Dear Mr.Maxime
Your shipment was release from cage. And we will deliver to you tomorrow within 17.00.
"

No more mentioning of the import licence from 2 days ago:
"Dear Khun Maxime
today, we got report from Thai customs, they need import license of THAI INDUSTRIAL INSTITUTE for more document require by Thai customs officer Mr.Chainuwat
Please kindly contact to THAI INDUSTRIAL INSTITUTE and asking them for import license
Contact number: 02-7939300 or thaistan@tisi.co.th
"

When I sailed around the world, I shipped literally 100's of spare parts packages & used FedEx extensively. I've NEVER had this problem in the past, very strange.

MastaMax said:
Looks like it's on the good way now:
"Dear Mr.Maxime
Your shipment was release from cage. And we will deliver to you tomorrow within 17.00.
"

No more mentioning of the import licence from 2 days ago:
"Dear Khun Maxime
today, we got report from Thai customs, they need import license of THAI INDUSTRIAL INSTITUTE for more document require by Thai customs officer Mr.Chainuwat
Please kindly contact to THAI INDUSTRIAL INSTITUTE and asking them for import license
Contact number: 02-7939300 or thaistan@tisi.co.th
"

Almost _guarantees_ that you will incur customs duty...if you ship via any of the air carriers: FedEx, UPS, DHl, etc.

Shipping items from the USA...using the USPS postal system. Use on _Priority_ mail and note that there are some flat rates for items in smaller sized boxes. I paid a mere $13.95 for my Garmin, shipped in their small box & weighing under 4#. No duty either!
Do NOT use USPS Global as it almost guarantees you'll pay duty; similarly avoid Express mail.

waspmike said:
If you have NEVER had a problem with FedEx Thailand you are in a minority I believe.

Waspmike -- i was referring to the need for an import license to qualify for receiving a small shipment.

"Dear Khun Maxime
today, we got report from Thai customs, they need import license of THAI INDUSTRIAL INSTITUTE for more document require by Thai customs officer Mr.Chainuwat"

When i ran a business here we were told by FEDEX head office in Atlanta not to use FEDEX thailand !!!!!!!we had so much trouble with them , charging over duties that were wrong and double charging for delivery fees that had already been paid plus theft ,damaged goods etc ,

Get it shipped by post office .

Back
Top Bottom