Vulcanizing tire tube kits in Chiang Mai

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Had been looking for these "hot patch" vulcanizing kits for a while and found one at SaengChai Panich in Chiang Mai, location:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place...edddb8330!8m2!3d18.7958592!4d99.0057602?hl=en

Your supposed to use a special tire clamp to keep the pressure equal throughout the vulcanizing process, but a couple of vice grips would do the job.

Once the vulcanizing tin is clamped to the area that need patching (works on tires and tubes), you light the powder in the top of the tin.

Vulc by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

As the powder burns, the heat in the tin melts/ vulcanizes the rubber patch on the underside to the tube/ tire over the hole.

The whole box was 130 Bht?

Vulc box by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Instructions:

I try it twice without the special clamp , don't work well .

The Clamp is very cheap too , just a few hundred if i remember and works much better .

I try it twice without the special clamp , don't work well .

The Clamp is very cheap too , just a few hundred if i remember and works much better .

I want to use this with off-road tubes touring. I was concerned about the size and weight of the clamp. You dont think 2x vice grips and say a thin piece of wood on both sides to keep the load even would work?

I want to use this with off-road tubes touring. I was concerned about the size and weight of the clamp. You dont think 2x vice grips and say a thin piece of wood on both sides to keep the load even would work?

I try it clamping the Tube and the Hotpatch with a piece of angle steel with a hole in it and two large C-Clamps on my workbench .
seams that the Patch is not burning evenly if parts of the Patch are covered up .
The Clamp design for that Patch is more like 8 Spiderlegs distribute the Pessure evenly on the metal part of the Patch while leaving
enough room for oxigene to get to the fast burning process.

The Patches stick on some parts not good enough and with Air in the tube get lose with a bubble under the patch and the tire lose
the Air before the Bike leave the Workshop .

Better you try it a few times with vicegrips or what ever at home before you relay on it in the middle of no where .

I try it clamping the Tube and the Hotpatch with a piece of angle steel with a hole in it and two large C-Clamps on my workbench .
seams that the Patch is not burning evenly if parts of the Patch are covered up .
The Clamp design for that Patch is more like 8 Spiderlegs distribute the Pessure evenly on the metal part of the Patch while leaving
enough room for oxigene to get to the fast burning process.

The Patches stick on some parts not good enough and with Air in the tube get lose with a bubble under the patch and the tire lose
the Air before the Bike leave the Workshop .

Better you try it a few times with vicegrips or what ever at home before you relay on it in the middle of no where .

Maybe metal gauze over the top and needle nose vice grips, to keep oxygen flow as even as possible?

Maybe , guess you have to use the try and error system to find it out .
I now use the Hotpatches only in the Workshop with the correct clamp and on trips the normal patches save weight
i have to carry .

Back
Top Bottom