Volkswagen-Audi, the new owner of Ducati

So it happened then..

I know some Ducatisti seem to think the brand will lose its soul, but I am unsure why, management is management these days.

Only time will tell.

It seems the brand has been through many owners with not too much change to it.
I always associated it with the Cagiva group that seems to be old news.

Ownership

Since 1926, Ducati has been owned by a number of groups and companies:

(1926–1950) Ducati Family
(1950–1967) Government IRI management

In 1953 split into Ducati Meccanica-now called Ducati Motor and Ducati Elettronica-now called Ducati Energia

(1967–1978) Government EFIM management (control over day-to-day factory operations)

(1967–1973) Headed By Giuseppe Montano[8]
(1973–1978) Headed by Cristiano de Eccher[9]

(1978–1985) VM Group
(1985–1996) Cagiva Group ownership
(1996–2005) Texas-Pacific Group (US-based) ownership and going public

Headed by CEO Federico Minoli, 1996-2001; returning for 2003–2007

(2005–2008) Investindustrial Holdings SpA
(since 2008) Performance Motorcycles SpA[10]
An investment vehicle formed by Investindustrial Holdings, BS Investimenti and Hospitals of Ontario Pension Plan

Apparently it is not yet a "done deal", Audi have until 15th April to do their due diligence and then have the right to refuse or accept purchase of the company.
From what I heard they are also interested in KTM, a large chunk of KTM was recently bought by an Indian motorbike manufacturer and Audi are trying to get the Indian company to sell their shares to them.

Recently VAG group decided that their largest competitor is BMW, VAG wish to battle them head on and cut their market share in both car and motorbike sales.

-Just to clarify; VAG consists of Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT and Porsche (I think) and Audi also owns Lamborghini, it is Audi's massive profit the last couple of years that is being put to use in these deals.

Hassman

I read about the bajaj KTM partnership and it seemed pretty sensible in that KTM want to expand beyond boutique bikes to the developing world markets which are under serviced.. Hence the 125 / 200 dukes, and talk that the 200 chassis will be able to hold up to maybe a 350cc unit..

That makes some sense if they wish to produce volume at lower costs but the balance between keeping brand image and known for quality will be vital.

Back
Top Bottom