Trangia Stoves

Johnsy

Bikes
650 V-Strom
After camping at Doi Ang Khang with Phil, Steve and Hopsing recently and getting a few questions about my camping stove I thought I would share some details. After 22 years as an adventure activities instructor in Australia and the World running outdoor programs for a broad range of clients and in extreme environments I can tell you that the Trangia stoves can cope with heaps of abuse. My last Trangia lasted 25 years and never failed, it simply ended up being too dented and miss-shaped to be functional anymore after being shoved in and out of packs, kayaks, rafts and motor bikes. The only drawback with these stoves is that they are a cool burning alcohol/ethanol stoves so they are too slow to cook at higher altitudes (above 2,500 mtrs) or in the snow. You can get fuel for them anywhere in the World, they have no moving parts, no jets to block up, they’re quiet and come as a complete package. Trangia now have a one-person mega light weight version but I prefer the larger stove so you can cook easily for 2, it’s a bit like having a two person tent just for you, you have extra room just in case. Any questions just ask….. here’s a link to the Trangia www site Trangia Kök - Trangia Stoves Stoves, outdoor, Ultralight , Series 25, Series 27
Trangia_1.jpg

Chinook Trekker Alcohol Burner with Windshield - Walmart.com

Looks like a decent copy, at a great price. Just saw it a week ago, asked our friend to grab one when he was stateside.

I started a six month tour with an expensive multifuel stove, after two months I replaced it with a beer can stove and it was so much simpler. I think a Trianga or copy would be good.

I can only get 70 or 80% alcohol here, the blue stuff. Where do you get yours?
marcus

Chinook Trekker Alcohol Burner with Windshield - Walmart.com

Looks like a decent copy, at a great price. Just saw it a week ago, asked our friend to grab one when he was stateside.

I started a six month tour with an expensive multifuel stove, after two months I replaced it with a beer can stove and it was so much simpler. I think a Trianga or copy would be good.

I can only get 70 or 80% alcohol here, the blue stuff. Where do you get yours?
marcus

Yeah the burner looks similar at least. The problem with the micro/small versions is stability, they tip over and/or your pots fall off easily. As for fuel they run on methelated spirits or methanol, methelated spirits has a high carbon content and leaves the bottom of your pots filthy black, methanol is far better as it burns clean and reasonably odorless. However, if you are cooking in enclosed spaces like the vestibule of your tent that lack of odor can lead to asphyxiation if you don't have adequate ventilation. I'm in Thailand and I usually get "cooking" methanol from any paint or hardware store, the chemical sign for methanol is CH3OH, that's usually on the container somewhere.

20150625_104139.jpg20150625_104153.jpg

I've had quite a few Stoves over the years but always go back to my trusty Trangia. The real great thing is you can cook in relative safety inside your shelter or at the side of your bivvy in a storm.
The Mini trangia or copies are not as stable or windproof but you can't beat it for ultra light and being ultra compact. everything you need packs inside a small pan with close fitting Lid which is an excellent frypan too, you can even fill the burner with spirits for instant use because it comes with an o-ring sealed screw top. I've just opened one of mine and it had meths inside which I had forgotten about, could have been there for 3 years or more. it just fired up instantly. There'as enough fuel in there to have a brew and then cook a simple meal.
a great emergency stove that anyone can find room for.
KISS - Keep It simple Stupid .

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/114533-trangia-mini-trangia-cookset.html

Back
Top Bottom