Tool waist pack

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Ever noticed how the rider in your group with the easy accessible tools, become the tools everyone uses for the whole off-road trip?

Multi day off-road trip, something usually comes loose or breaks on every bike, so everyone is using tools while out riding. I've finally made a dedicated tool waist pack.

Might switch this to only being essential get-you-by tool kit to get the weight down and carry the less likely used tools on the bike, we'll see. Will be nice not having to dig under clothes and shoes to get to tools each time.

P_20151231_113021.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Yep your tool kit is always at the bottom of the bag when you need it most, nice tool pouch though.

Agree that it is handy to have the tools in a place where they are in easy reach. However, I am not sure if someone would want to have a bag full of tools hanging around their waist in case they fell off the bike in particular when you have screwdrivers in that tool bag.

The Kriega R8 waist pack comes with their tool roll although I'm also not sure I would want all that additional weight hanging around my waist either.

This video has informative advice as to exactly just what a thoughtful rider should include in his or her tool roll... :lol:

[video=youtube_share;zsLPIMr6MWc]http://youtu.be/zsLPIMr6MWc[/video]

If you didn't want the toolbag around your waist then a 'legbag' is probably a good alternative. I've been wearing a small one of these (Givi) for my last few trips as it's dead handy for carrying a camera, but Phil's original post has given me the idea of carrying some tools in a larger legbag on my next trip (I could carry my camera on my other leg of course). Loads of 'legbags' (thighbag/dropbag/fanny pack) on Ebay, mostly from China and pretty cheap, but few are waterproof so an inner plastic bag would be needed.

lb.JPG

Bloody hell... that's the last thing I'd wear. May as well just take a sledgehammer to your thigh.

My most likely to be used tools go in my pack above the headlight... as does the spaceblanket and water treatment gear. I made the mistake of drinking untreated water a few years back when dehydrated.... despite having treatment gear with me. Most urgent / likely needed stuff gets packed where it can be accessed easily.

Here's the layout I use... four packs (I had five here, with a drone backpack as well)

From the front... common use tools/emergency gear in the headlight pack. Electronics in the tank bag - computer, SPOT, phone, DSLR (and P&S on a vest strap), clothes, oil and spares - bearings, brake pads, etc in the GL... and strapped to the GL is a pack with 3 tubes and some water and maybe oil in it.

I can drop a wheel and change a tube without undoing more than a zipper and a couple of clasps.

I know a lot of people like to keep the bike light on day trips when riding fast with the Kit in a backpack and I guess that's OK . But tools strapped to your waist or leg are likely to exacerbate any likely injury to the area they are strapped and even if you don't fall your going to feel the weight as you move around and possibly pull your back out. My tools are easily accessible in GL Mojave Saddlebags, the weights down low and carried by the bike not me. I like the Sledgehammer analogy

Got used to riding with a "bum bag " , has my papers,cash, phone,torch,lighter, leatherman etc in it. Now if I ride without it I feel like something is missing. Also have a kidney belt on, the Kriega bag makes my lower back feel more supported. Having fallen off numerous times it has never seemed to be a problem, although there a no big tools in it. It usually sits at the rear.

Major tools and tyre gear on top of the Coyote bag or seperate bag on top ( hate loosing them if seperate ).

Each to their own, as long as you have the tools.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Beddhist Tool's 0
KTMphil Tool's 0
bsacbob Tool's 1
Back
Top Bottom