The Pu Du Border Crossing in Uttaradit province to Paklay in Laos

Did the crossing earlier this month (10[SUP]th[/SUP]). The bad news first, VoA is still not available on the Laos side, thus the Thai immigration said I can not cross. It took me some time to explain that I'm Visa exempt for Laos, he looked a bit confused while browsing through my passport. Up to today I have 28 I/O-stamps but not a single visa for Laos, so he called over his boss, which looked not less confused. However they have a list in the office confirming that I'm exempt, and they stamped me out. At least I had the attention of 100% of their staff. Before they let me go, they took pictures from me with the boss, that he wanted to send to his superior. Hell, they really don't have much traffic here:lol:. Customs was easy as well, even easier as before, as this bike is now in my name.

They gave me the custom declaration, and I signed into their book, the last bike in the book was from May 1[SUP]st[/SUP], so 9 days ago.

Over to the Laos immigration, filled in the arrival card and further to the customs. It took a while for the customs, I guess he did that not too many times before for a foreigner, but after 10 min he got it straight. BTW, I got on both sides 30 days on the customs declaration, despite I'm only allowed to stay for 15 days in Laos. I thought there were sometimes trouble to get even 15 days, but that's maybe something from the past. I was a bit worried about the bike "passport" there were 3 days holiday in a row prior my departure, so I couldn't get one. Was thinking to get one in Nan, but skipped it, didn't want to waste too much time, as the bike is registered in CR, that would have been discussions for sure. However nothing was asked.

100 meters from the immigration on the left side, I saw a few shops, and decided to have a look there, if the might have an insurance broker. They had, Lao Viet Insurance 28000 Kip for 2 weeks. Can't recall what it was in Nam Ngeun, but way more expensive, probably rip-off. Next time, I'll search a LVI broker in town for sure.

New road down to almost Paklay, where I spend the night as I was not in a hurry. A lot of works inside Paklay, so be prepared that they cut the power during the day while they're working. Had to pack my bags in candlelight.

There is a river crossing close to Paklay, a few smaller boats for bikes, but I choose the big one. 5000 Kip, Wow in Pakbeng they tried to rip-off bikers with 50000 Kip. From there down to Xanamkhan, what was the standard Lao road with lot of potholes, but still easy to go. Right after Xanamkhan dirt road for ~30 Km, that took me quite a while. Sure no terrain for a CBR, the guys with dirt or touring bikes would go through that in 40 min, I guess I needed double that time. After said 30 Km road became paved with the occasional potholes, and then 70 Km before Vientiane it became CBR terrain, huge new road, 70 Km without a single pothole, couldn't believe I'm in Laos. Hope they don't have too many speed cameras over there, I would have been a candidate. :jump

Great stuff thanks for the updated info on the crossing, hopefully it will be fully open for all visa types soon.

Did the crossing earlier this month (10[SUP]th[/SUP]). The bad news first, VoA is still not available on the Laos side, thus the Thai immigration said I can not cross. It took me some time to explain that I'm Visa exempt for Laos, he looked a bit confused while browsing through my passport. Up to today I have 28 I/O-stamps but not a single visa for Laos, so he called over his boss, which looked not less confused. However they have a list in the office confirming that I'm exempt, and they stamped me out. At least I had the attention of 100% of their staff. Before they let me go, they took pictures from me with the boss, that he wanted to send to his superior. Hell, they really don't have much traffic here:lol:. Customs was easy as well, even easier as before, as this bike is now in my name.

They gave me the custom declaration, and I signed into their book, the last bike in the book was from May 1[SUP]st[/SUP], so 9 days ago.

Over to the Laos immigration, filled in the arrival card and further to the customs. It took a while for the customs, I guess he did that not too many times before for a foreigner, but after 10 min he got it straight. BTW, I got on both sides 30 days on the customs declaration, despite I'm only allowed to stay for 15 days in Laos. I thought there were sometimes trouble to get even 15 days, but that's maybe something from the past. I was a bit worried about the bike “passport” there were 3 days holiday in a row prior my departure, so I couldn't get one. Was thinking to get one in Nan, but skipped it, didn't want to waste too much time, as the bike is registered in CR, that would have been discussions for sure. However nothing was asked.

100 meters from the immigration on the left side, I saw a few shops, and decided to have a look there, if the might have an insurance broker. They had, Lao Viet Insurance 28000 Kip for 2 weeks. Can't recall what it was in Nam Ngeun, but way more expensive, probably rip-off. Next time, I'll search a LVI broker in town for sure.

New road down to almost Paklay, where I spend the night as I was not in a hurry. A lot of works inside Paklay, so be prepared that they cut the power during the day while they're working. Had to pack my bags in candlelight.

There is a river crossing close to Paklay, a few smaller boats for bikes, but I choose the big one. 5000 Kip, Wow in Pakbeng they tried to rip-off bikers with 50000 Kip. From there down to Xanamkhan, what was the standard Lao road with lot of potholes, but still easy to go. Right after Xanamkhan dirt road for ~30 Km, that took me quite a while. Sure no terrain for a CBR, the guys with dirt or touring bikes would go through that in 40 min, I guess I needed double that time. After said 30 Km road became paved with the occasional potholes, and then 70 Km before Vientiane it became CBR terrain, huge new road, 70 Km without a single pothole, couldn't believe I'm in Laos. Hope they don't have too many speed cameras over there, I would have been a candidate. :jump

Interesting that Thai immigration even questioned you about not needing a Lao VOA. I assume you are Swiss (like I am) and have been across the Phu Doo crossing twice, the first time was last year in March, just over a month after it first opened to foreigners, and the second time this March. Both times the same officials were there.

I was not asked for a Lao visa on either occasion - actually the first time there was another issue. I was driving my truck across, which at that time was still in my fiancée's name. It was also the first time driving this vehicle to another country. I did have a power of attorney authorizing me to drive her vehicle across the border. However, one of the customs officials stated that foreigners can't use power of attorney documents. I told him we can, citing my many trips across to Thailand driving Lao registered cars that didn't belong to me (not to mention that on the document it says "nationality"). He approved me "this time" according to him. In 9 further trips across the border that year out of which 8 were by myself and with a power of attorney document, never was this document questioned again, though all those crossings were at different borders and 2 of them weren't even to Laos. I guess it was probably just a new official who had no experience with these matters, considering the border at that time had just opened 6 weeks earlier and I was one of the first foreigners to cross.

I didn't know you could buy insurance at that border. When I went for the first time last year, I bought a one year policy in Pak Lay the next day. An AGL policy. I doubt the insurance office would have been open when I went anyway, given I crossed in the early evening on a Sunday (the border opens from 6am to 8pm).

Good thing you didn't encounter any problems crossing by motorcycle. The motorcycle passport is not issued anymore, you just need a one page translation of your registration, which you obtain from your local LTD. Read somewhere on this forum I think it was, another motorcyclist entered at Phu Doo but was only allowed to travel locally, because Lao customs thought he needed a motorcycle passport.

As for speed cameras in Laos - fixed ones don't exist. Very rarely police might have speed radar but it's exceptionally rare. The last time I saw speed radar being used was in 2014 near Pakse. The only system that exists is if you get caught for speeding, you'll be pulled over. They have no system of sending fines to registered vehicle owners and certainly not for foreign plates. Thailand has only just started sending fine notices to registered owners and only in the last couple of years. If Laos ever catches on, it will take them 10-20 years. So don't worry.

I wonder if you can send your passport to the Laos Consulate in Khon Kaen (http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/information/1695/26882-LAOS-(Khon-Kaen).html), with all the Laos visa application forms completed & an obtain a Laos immigration visa that way, then enter Laos at this border crossing?

Khon Kaen Laos Consulate phone number is:

Tel: 0 4339 3402

I would think yes, assuming they can accept postal applications. I've applied for a visa from them at least twice before (I hold multiple citizenships and only one of them is visa-free) and it took no more than 10-15 mins. Usually no one or max. 1 person applying at any one time. Costs a little more than at the VOA ports but saves hassle. Of course it's your only option if heading through Phu Doo unless you're visa exempt like me.

Back
Top Bottom