The magical road that connect two legendary loops. (Loei - Nan)

Umar_ADV_Ngalim

Bikes
To see the world with a twist of the throttle and to see heavens thru the winding roads
Hi guys,

Looking for a great way to travel from Loei to Nan and finally to Chiangmai without travelling on the major highways.

I've read a lot of stories about nan loops and even loei loops but none that talk about routes that connects these two together.

I've got about 7 days to try these loops (Nan & Loei) and the route that connects these two.

Can someone in RideAsia kindly share with me the routes that they might have done before or they think is good for me to try out please.
I can further share them here after I've done them:lost.

Cheers,
Umar

Umar if you have a GPS that can receive routes/tracks. you could upload these.

GpxViewer

Alternative route to CNX not using the 1148

GpxViewer

Attachments

• Loei to Nan Via Na Noi.GPX
    550.7 KB · Views: 397
  • Nan to 118 via na noi route mae khachan junc.GPX
    492.3 KB · Views: 367
Just check the google map out! Great route. Thanks much! 388Km 8hrs 39mins. Looks like I'll have to stop mid way for the night. Any place you reckon?

^ i wouldn`t take much notice of the times on those maps. we did it in something like 6-7 hours,by memory,with a few stops..

Averaging 80k`s/hr it`s less than 5 hours.

Hi there Umar, a very warm welcome to RideAsia :)

Hope you find what your looking for here.

Ally

Great help Definately. Thank you. I'll post again if I find something interesting during the route planning.

I did the route Loei to Nan along the Thai-Lao border a few times, and it is very doable in 1 day. Although you might want to take more time and make stops along the way. There are a few very beautiful temples you will be passing and also a few National Parks and waterfalls. And depending on the day you are riding you could make a stop at one of the local border markets. The problems is there are not much places along the way to stay overnight. Also no much gasoline stations and no 7-11's (this is still old fashioned Thailand). I did stay one time in a very small bungalow style guesthouse in Ban Khok.

I always try to leave very early (wake-up when it is still dark), as riding at sunrise in the mountains is stunning beautiful. Instead of taking the 2399 to Thali I would take the 2294 to Hueang (as the road between Thali and Hueang was very shit the last time I was there).

You could start this ride also from Dan Sai (taking route 2113 to Na Heao).

^ Yes what Changnoi said. It's my fav ride in Thailand. An easy one day ride casually. At Ban Khok there are a few decent spots for food and fuel.

I always try to leave very early (wake-up when it is still dark), as riding at sunrise in the mountains is stunning beautiful. Instead of taking the 2399 to Thali I would take the 2294 to Hueang (as the road between Thali and Hueang was very shit the last time I was there).

Yeah,the 2195 along the river/border was the worst part of that ride,12 months ago. even though i was on a big road bike it still wasn`t bad enough that we had to turn back,slow going though weaving in and out of the multitude of potholes. it was a really nice part of the country to see and the 2399 is a blast on a big road bike,fast and smooth and winding through some nice mountain scenery...... but would probably take your 2294 suggestion if i went there again.

Umar, from Loei take R 203 westbound then stick to the border roads

10830277875_8abf8f013d_b.jpg

Nan to Chiang Mai, the route below is excellent, but you could also take R 1080 north out of Nan, then take the legendary R 1148 back towards Chiang Mai too.

10830592863_8fcd3786de_b.jpg

That is my preferred way too (as per KTMPhil) but don't mess around as it is a long days ride and even longer if they are most probably still upgrading some of the road.

^ I like Phils route too,just a tick over 3 hours on the VFR :)

The 1148 is hard work on a big heavy bike.

FWIW:
This is a route I took in late 2006, and the barge (if it is still running) across Sirikit Dam may be of interest to you. My trip notes listing routes were poor, but below is some info and pix of the barge.

From Nan, I went south on route 1026 to Na Muen (abt 95km). At the far end of town I stopped at the police station, and asked directions to Pak Nai. Turned out a short distance after the station, there is a sign (on the left) for the road. Another 22-km and I was at the boat landing for Pak Nai. At the end of the main road, I saw 3 small roads ahead, but no boat there, but on the right, across the water were some boats. A local said to go back up the main road a few 100-meters and take that road which leads to the boat landing...
I had been erroneously told that the boat made the journey to Nam Pet, which was many kilometers away. I feared it would take many hours on a slow boat. But, as it turns out the barge is only pulled by a longboat, connected to the barge by a rope, and it only goes about 3 or 4-km to another landing, where the road to Nam Pet begins. It was maybe 40km to Nam Pet..the road was good dirt except for two short sections (3 and 6-km) of dirt. The road has probably been paved by now. At Nam Pet, continue onto route 1239, which takes you all the way to Na Haew. A nice winding road, with stops for a wildlife park and waterfall. In Na Haew, take route 213 to the main highway 203, which goes to Loei. Total distance from Nan was appx 396-km, compared to abt 600-km using boring highways 11 & 12.

IMG_1637.jpgIMG_1638.jpg

Ahh.. now I see the magical route that connects these two legendary loops!!! Thanks much. Will definitely be trying them out on my GSA. I'll post the places that I stop for photograph and food.

Im getting too excited already bout the routes that I thought Ill share a bit more about this trip.(way better than attending to the routine at my workplace!):bash

Ill be starting my ride from BKK - Hua Lumpong station (after freighting my bike from Hatyai) and head to Chaiyaphum or if time permits Chum Phae.

Ill than do the routes as suggested by you guys above and start heading to Loei before proceeding to Nan and finally ending up in ChiangMai.

Just to share a bit more about my trip. For your information, The routes above are my "alone riding time" before i meet up with my wife who flies in to Chiang Mai (from Singapore). We just got married and she cant wait to join me for my rides up north.

I have therefore planned the following routes for her, bearing in mind that she's not really an adventurous type but would be more than willing to give it her best shot at this touring on a bike thingy.

(Approx 2 weeks)
Chiamgmai
Pai
ChiangRai
Camping @ PhuChiFa
ChiangKong
Luang Prabang
Vang Veang
vientiane
BKK (3 days of shopping and she will fly bk to Sg!)

* Il prollyl start threadto share bout the ltrip with ma wife part.:jump

FWIW:
This is a route I took in late 2006, and the barge (if it is still running) across Sirikit Dam may be of interest to you. My trip notes listing routes were poor, but below is some info and pix of the barge.

From Nan, I went south on route 1026 to Na Muen (abt 95km). At the far end of town I stopped at the police station, and asked directions to Pak Nai. Turned out a short distance after the station, there is a sign (on the left) for the road. Another 22-km and I was at the boat landing for Pak Nai. At the end of the main road, I saw 3 small roads ahead, but no boat there, but on the right, across the water were some boats. A local said to go back up the main road a few 100-meters and take that road which leads to the boat landing...
I had been erroneously told that the boat made the journey to Nam Pet, which was many kilometers away. I feared it would take many hours on a slow boat. But, as it turns out the barge is only pulled by a longboat, connected to the barge by a rope, and it only goes about 3 or 4-km to another landing, where the road to Nam Pet begins. It was maybe 40km to Nam Pet..the road was good dirt except for two short sections (3 and 6-km) of dirt. The road has probably been paved by now. At Nam Pet, continue onto route 1239, which takes you all the way to Na Haew. A nice winding road, with stops for a wildlife park and waterfall. In Na Haew, take route 213 to the main highway 203, which goes to Loei. Total distance from Nan was appx 396-km, compared to abt 600-km using boring highways 11 & 12.

View attachment 22507View attachment 22508

How long did you take for this route. Looks really really interesting. I feel like I'm spoilt for Choices!!!!! :MJ

Thanks for this thread. I'm finally back in Thailand after 7 months at home in Canada. The Nan area is near and dear to my heart and want to explore more of it. I've done the climb up from Nan on the 1169 and down to 1081 to Boklua, and then circled around on 1257 and back to Nan, twice, and each time I see another section I want to explore. My only problem right now is getting my Thai drivers license renewed and insurance on my 250 D-Tracker. Thai administration seems to make problems and delays where there shouldn't be any.

Back
Top Bottom