The hill climb challenge

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
The hill climb challenge

On the trails towards "Buddha's Footprint" ,Doi Suthep Mountain, Chiang Mai , we stumbled on an interesting "hill", that could be used as a hill climb challenge. Jon spotted it and gave it a go on his Yamaha WR 250 & nearly made it up. It might make a fun days competition before rainy season.

Below Jon giving it a try and runs out of steam.

This is the location of the "hill" south of Buddha's Footprint

hard hill climb.jpg

You might need one of these to do it

Why not call it the "Devil's Staircase"

I think the one John tried was harder as he had trees to avoid!

I've been up this a few times both on my XR250 and once even on my Supercup Honda Dash.

Me and AlexUK also came down from the top side (it starts at the narrow paved access road to the Doi Pui summit) a few months ago.

This is a hugely convenient way to cut off that narrow paved road if you're trying to get from the Chiang Khian area to the Buddha Footprint / Hmong Village area.

Was talking with Jon (WR 250) yesterday, he seems to think Darren and himself have never dome this trail which i was surprised to hear which starts in the complex where the new Thai style Government buildings are being deconstruct (finished), south of the 700 year stadium.

To get onto the trail you have to go up about 5 steps & then there's a barbed wire fence 500 meters further up that you can get around.

trail  from govt buildings.jpg

KTMphil said:
To get onto the trail you have to go up about 5 steps & then there's a barbed wire fence 500 meters further up that you can get around.

Just a heads up - They've finished stringing up the barbed wire on two more fences they were working on when you first posted this track. It's a bit of a hassle but you can find places to drag the bike underneath. You can still go around the end of the first fence by the waterfall.

Also, if you turn right instead of going up the steps you can avoid the steps and steep section up to the first fence. This section is do-able but there are some brittle plastic irrigation lines that would get broken if you ride over them with a bike and out of courtesy I like to take the alternate trail.

I connected this trail with 700 Year Stadium a few weeks ago. Look for a right turn about 600-800 meters after you clear the fences. It will drop you down the "Enduro Level A" trail into the trail network behind 700 years.

Here's a pic of the fence, it goes from the little waterfall(where you can get round) right into the lake
6873439659_cb900afac9_z.jpg

There is a sliding gate, which was unlocked last night

johnnysneds said:
Some more attempts at the "NOB Hill"

Not bad Johnny , in fact 10/10 for aggression ! Did anyone manage to get to the area where the ground is covered in pine needles ( about 5 or 6 seconds past where you stopped )

jkrfjessjess said:
johnnysneds said:
Some more attempts at the "NOB Hill"

Not bad Johnny , in fact 10/10 for aggression ! Did anyone manage to get to the area where the ground is covered in pine needles ( about 5 or 6 seconds past where you stopped )

Didn't see any pin needles. I think Luke and Frank got a wee bit further than I did. My bike ran out of puff. Jetting is pure pish at that altitude and wouldn't even idle! That was with a 160 main jet, book recommends a 155 for that altitude. Subsequently got one from Mark Rossi however not much use until my finger is better..UH!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Trail Riding Reports 0
Back
Top Bottom