The haggle!

El Dudeness

Bikes
KTM 1190 ADV R, KTM 250 EXC-F
Right - so I've been to the wonderful country of Thailand a couple of times before the last time being 5 years ago.

As far as I can remember you could, with respect, haggle yourself down to around 30-50% of what was offered to you to start out with. This is mostly street vendors and such.

What's the situation now do you guys recon?
How much can you expect to cut off the price and how much could you haggle a bike rent? E.g. if a day's hire would cost 1.500 baht - how much would you be able to haggle?

Thanks!

Haggle for Tourist Junk all-day long but I doubt you'll be able to haggle Bike Hire , most will provide a week at discount over the day rate anyway

Haggle for Tourist Junk all-day long but I doubt you'll be able to haggle Bike Hire , most will provide a week at discount over the day rate anyway

Thanks Iakota - yeah that's what I figured.

What do you recon the haggling price could come down to - % wise? 50%? Roughly....

Thailands not really a Haggling Country. Tourist's haggle for overpriced junk but that's to be expected. I know Thai's will ask for a discount at markets but it's generally only a couple of Baht. Everywhere else it's usually the price you see is the price you pay.

I wouldn't personally want to offend the Hire Company by Haggling because you need to maintain a good relationship and what's to stop them taking the perceived discount back when you return the bike with scratches etc.. When normally they would have just let it go .
Thai's don't generally get Angry (or at least show it) but they do get even :RE

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't personally want to offend the Hire Company by Haggling because you need to maintain a good relationship and what's to stop them taking the perceived discount back when you return the bike with scratches etc.. When normally they would have just let it go .
Thai's don't generally get Angry (or at least show it) but they do get even :RE

- - - Updated - - -

That's a very valid point indeed - too true.

The cheap charlies that feel they need to haggle down from a reasonable rental price arnt normally the customers you want. They feel the renter is getting "a good deal" and will have no ethical problem with abusing the motorcycle or trying to return it with problems. The better rental shops will normally refuse you by saying "sorry no motorcycles available" & I dont blame them.

Right - so I've been to the wonderful country of Thailand a couple of times before the last time being 5 years ago.

As far as I can remember you could, with respect, haggle yourself down to around 30-50% of what was offered to you to start out with. This is mostly street vendors and such.

What's the situation now do you guys recon?
How much can you expect to cut off the price and how much could you haggle a bike rent? E.g. if a day's hire would cost 1.500 baht - how much would you be able to haggle?

Thanks!

The cheap charlies that feel they need to haggle down from a reasonable rental price arnt normally the customers you want. They feel the renter is getting "a good deal" and will have no ethical problem with abusing the motorcycle or trying to return it with problems. The better rental shops will normally refuse you by saying "sorry no motorcycles available" & I dont blame them.

You're absolutely right - valid points towards the bike rentals.

What's the buzz around the markets - e.g. jeans, shoes and what not?

Back
Top Bottom