The CIA's secret city (info from 2013)

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Source: The-CIAs-secret-city - reprinted from John McBeth. The Straits Times, Asia News Network, Singapore March 17, 2013 1:00 am

The CIA's secret city

Electricity and an unsealed road now run through what was once known as Lima Site (LS) 20A. But 38 years after the CIA abandoned its secret Long Tieng base in one of the last acts of the Indochina War, it remains just that - a secret place. Off-limits to outsiders, special permission is needed to enter the mist-shrouded valley that served as the nerve centre of the CIA's private war in which Hmong hilltribe irregulars fought North Vietnamese and Pathet Lao forces across the mountains of north-east Laos.

But driving along the overgrown 1,350m runway, once the busiest in the world, it is not readily apparent why it remains closed - especially when the present communist government has turned its own wartime headquarters into a fascinating tourist attraction. Seven years ago, Vientiane dissolved the Xaysomboune special military zone, which since 1994 had encompassed Long Tieng and nearby Phou Bia, the country's highest mountain and for decades a refuge for armed Hmong holdouts. But while the region has now been incorporated into Vientiane province to the south, the security restrictions surrounding Long Tieng have stayed in place, ostensibly because the rebels are still carrying out occasional attacks.

Just early last month, there were unconfirmed reports of five to eight people killed in a bus ambush on the road between Long Tieng and its old sister base of Sam Thong (LS20) to the north. Last year, gunmen fired on troops guarding Australian-owned Phou Bia Mining's copper and gold mine, about two hours' drive south of Long Tieng and one of the country's top foreign exchange earners. "They just can't let go," says one resident, nodding to the mountains where legendary Hmong leader Cher Pao Moua is believed to have died after secretly returning to Xieng Khouang from a Thai refugee camp in the 1980s.

Similar sensitivity prevails around LS32, Colonel Cher Pao Moua's former command and the only outpost never to fall, and LS85, where sappers scaled sheer cliffs in March 1968 to overrun a US Air Force radar site directing the air war over North Vietnam. It could simply be lasting paranoia - or it may well be because of unexploded ordnance and scores of minefields that still litter the most heavily bombed piece of real estate in the world. At LS32, for example, where soldiers made it clear outsiders were unwelcome, dozens of unspent 37mm anti-aircraft rounds lay in the grass beneath one of the series of hills surrounding the now barely recognisable earthen airstrip. Better known as Bouam Long, LS32 is 100km south-west of Phou Pha Thi (LS85), a towering 1,750m massif reachable from the west today by a deeply rutted four-wheel-drive track and approachable only along a series of jungle trails.

Foreign trail-bikers received a hostile reception some years ago when they sought to scale the marginally accessible eastern side of the giant limestone slab, which lies just 40km east of the Pathet Lao's old Sam Neua-Vieng Xay cave complex. Again, that might be because of the mines that guarded the edifice, albeit ineffectively, and the tonnes of bombs dropped around it as a crack Vietnamese regiment began its offensive against a target Hanoi couldn't ignore. Eleven Americans died in the assault, the highest single death toll the US Air Force suffered during the war. The remains of only three of them have been recovered in the years since, the last in July last year.

Still, it is Long Tieng that captures the imagination. Guarded to the north by brooding Skyline Ridge, where Hmong and Thai mercenaries held on under heavy pressure, the valley is hemmed in on the other sides by jagged limestone karsts. One outcrop at the western end of the runway was dubbed the "vertical speed brake", for obvious reasons. Behind it are the scattered shells of buildings that previously housed CIA case officers, pilots and refugee aid workers. At any one time, Long Tieng was home to 40 to 50 aircraft - Lao Air Force T-28 bombers, Pilatus Porters and Helio Couriers, Raven O-1 observation planes and an assortment of helicopters, mostly flown by Air America and Continental Air Services. Amazingly, given the poor visibility, there was no control tower and no navigation aids, even for the big C-130 and C-123 transport aircraft flying in the ammunition and supplies for the agency's 30,000-strong army.

The cheerful woman running Long Tieng's only food shop made probably the best bowl of pho (beef and noodle soup) I have eaten in years, served with a heaped plate of fresh local vegetables. Now populated by about 1,000 people, Long Tieng has become something of an education centre. Its school, built with Vietnamese and Asian Development Bank funds and catering to 800 students, takes in boarders from six other villages. It seems a peaceful place now. And that's how it should be. But why the continuing secrecy?

Thanks Auke interesting article, not sure how they are going to control this, talk at Long Cheng the other week is the place is going to be fully open in January for visitors to roam wherever they please which is hard to believe.

Its only a month since the police detained me at Sam Thong and deleted 30 or so photos off my cameras. It'll be interesting if they want to try that on everyone coming through.

Great to read the article. Thanks Auke.

They approached me also and asked me to go to the station showing me some book, decided it best to make a hasty exit.

They approached me also and asked me to go to the station showing me some book, decided it best to make a hasty exit.

Yeah, the book was fairly innocuous. Just recording visitor names and passport numbers. The cops in Sam Thong took me to the station "for 2 or 3 hours"... but I got out in 90 minutes. Had to sign a page-long statement, written in Lao, about all the naughty photos I'd taken. They deleted my runway photos and UXO, etc... but I had most of my good ones saved.

I signed it "I cannot read this"

There are big underground bunkers and facilities all over that site probably still full of ordinance and equipment abandoned maybe thats why the lao Authorities are so skitish???

There are big underground bunkers and facilities all over that site probably still full of ordinance and equipment abandoned maybe thats why the lao Authorities are so skitish???

Wow that's real interesting, do you have any further information, i always though the base at Sam Thong (lima site 20) was a USAID base and had no real military significance ?

There's certainly plenty of ordnance laying around... not so much in town though. This was on Skyline Ridge. Chris was in town one night and we went up to Skyline... the local guide having been told not to take people there by the army, we went by ourselves. Wandering around to get a photo of the town... I looked down, as one does... and

The view from up there is good though. Plenty of new construction going on. From far left.. the Chinese workers' camp, for the new dam construction (not many of them there yet). The white buildings are the almost completed new market. The orange/red roof that partially disappears behind the karst formation is the guesthouse. Big pad of dirt fill is the site of the new administration building for the district. Far right is the old King's residence. I managed to get some photos there too... which I'd been told wasn't likely, so maybe they are freeing up.

Lots of flattened out fuel drums being used as housing materials... and the odd old container

More "nasties". A local brought this out for us to have a look at. I picked it up, one-handed, and the bloody nose cone fell off and landed by my foot. I near shit myself... but it'd been "made safe" apparently

We'd had armed guards posted on our rooms that night - one per room, right outside the door. A dozen or so had been out front of the guesthouse as we'd got back from one of the bars. Didn't think much of it... but we had one per room (outside).. all night, still there until the VIPs left the next morning. We'd talked to the VIPS, there because of the increase in US Aid funding for UXO clearance. They'd told us that a very large un-exploded bomb had been found. We tried, but couldn't convince them to take us for a look. My room got searched while I was out the next day. Nothing taken. I had my photos of that team of VIPs deleted by the police.

Old equipment on the army base.

Former King's residence, up on the hill. Now an army base

Looking down at the town from there. If I'm not mistaken, Vang Pao's house is just to the left of the "bell", a bit below the top. My photo of the house, from its gate, was deleted by the police

The derelict hospital on the left. New building may be a clinic... not sure

New bank

Pharmacy

Fuel is available

I picked up about five dozen nails, just walking up and down the main street

Crappy phone pic of an officer, his Russian? jeep... and the Chinese workers' camp, which is on the other side of the runway

With a group of soldiers who were trying to get me pissed. They cheat at the drinking games. I beat a polite retreat whilst still able to stand

The Wat has been closed for 50 years.

Special inside look.... tall people only need apply

Monsterman

I assume with this para you're talking about Long Tieng, LS-20A, not Sam Thong, LS-20. Correct?

BSABOB

Yes, Sam Thong was the USAID "forward base" for many years, up to when it went DTT 10 March 1970. The NVA, who had knocked off Sam Thong that March, pretty well burned everything, the hospital, the several bungalows, the USAID warehouse,, and the Air America hostel (fireplace still remaining, BTW). The entire operation had been moved down to Ban Xon, LS-272, a few months earlier on. And, sad to say, Ban Xon is also gone, under 20 feet or so of water thanks to the Nam Ngum 2 dam. It was an old town, shows up on a 1902 French map of the region.

Ammo bunkers at Sam Thong? Never saw any when I was there Feb-June 1969. Busy days, those.

Finally, the article by ol' buddy John McBeth resulted from our January 2013 trip, I'd invited him to come along. We went through to Phonsavanh, then on to Vieng Thong aka Moung Hiem aka LS-48, then on north to Muong Xon, L-59. There we turned right, east, to Ban Houey Ma, LS-107, for a few pix of Phu Pha Thi, LS-85, then on to Sam Nuea. The via 4 wheels, BTW, 4WD.

Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob , with an airfield that busy back in Air America days it would have had ordinance and fuel bunkers , as well as caches of small arms and ammo ,,, probably all flooded and rotted away by now ,, hazardous as well,

Well if anyone would know it would be Mac he was stationed in Sam Thong

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bob , with an airfield that busy back in Air America days it would have had ordinance and fuel bunkers , as well as caches of small arms and ammo ,,, probably all flooded and rotted away by now ,, hazardous as well,

Fuel was flown in in drums... they are still there - cut and rolled flat for use as cladding

I doubt there was any double handling of the fuel.. out of drums into tanks and vice versa... just fly in what's needed.

Wow that's real interesting, do you have any further information, i always though the base at Sam Thong (lima site 20) was a USAID base and had no real military significance ?

Bob

One more item. Sam Thong had a lot of "military significance" as it was the gateway to Long Tieng. The NVA had to take it first to get on through. Further up the road from Sam Thong you also pass through the village of Tha Tham Bleung, LS-72, the straight road there is the old runway. The NVA also took this site.

This is covered in the middle section of Jim "Mule" Parker's book THE VIETNAM WAR ITS OWN SELF.

Mac

Back
Top Bottom