The changing face of navigation

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
It's just a matter of time before most serious motorcycle travelers are navigating this way - tablet with map software. What makes this so useful is that it's readable because of its size and usable while you are moving, Garmin GPS's especially small screens like the 62S are very hard to read while moving, even the Montana 600 series when you are doing some important changes of direction.

This is the first time I've seen someone really using one, here on a Honda CRF 250 M

WP_20140714_003.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

The detail of map data on Google Maps, Nokia Here Maps & OSM (OSMAND) , Sygic software is more than ample for most explorers. If you're into off-road riding, you're still way better off with the North Thailand Off-Road GPS Map & the Laos GPS Map for Thailand & Laos as their data has actually been ridden unlike the sometimes innacurate "optical image recognition" of trails that Google Maps captures, which could get you in a whole lot of trouble off-road.

Many of the software apps now let you download map data, so no data connection needed to navigate, it's the way forward for sure. The current problem is that the cheap, consumer level tablets are not designed to be in the sun all day and will overheat and shut down.

WP_20140714_005.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

WP_20140714_004.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

I suspect that another problem is going to be screen survivability in an "off"... along with water issues.

I suspect that another problem is going to be screen survivability in an "off"... along with water issues.

Yes, I would not want to even try if my iPad would survive a fall from a few meters high or a dunk in a pool of water.

By the way, we just noticed that Garmin maps installed on an iPad or iPhone were just upgraded to version 2014.30 (last week it was version 2014.20) while the latest GPS map is version 2014.10. I have just sent of an email to ESRI/NOSTRA/GPS Society in Bangkok asking why their map is updated to version 2014.30 on tablets and phones and why maps for their GPS market are lagging.

They are not cheap but protect the Ipad well, the Andres Though case:
a>

Can be ordered with a waterproof connector to load the battery.

Andrés Industries Tough Case for iPad (2, 3, Retina). | Audionation-UK Tactical

I can see the top area tank bags becoming the perfect place for tablets to be situated for motorcycle navigation.

Agree, a tankbag with a proper waterproof tablet cover would be great.
What you think of below defence alternative?

And not to forget Phil.
The tank bag from Ducati Performace that we both have on the HM.
The map flap is actually marked Map/Tablet and fits iPad sized tablets.

I have run with my iPad in it a couple of times, but yes overheating is an issue in the sun if you keep it running.
So I normally keep the iPad underneath a paper map and if I need detailed navigation, I stop, take the ipad out, slip it on top of the map, inside the case and use the internal simcard and google maps.
If it rains, slip the raincover on top and you can still scroll the screen and use apps.

These tankbag solutions hardly seem waterproof to me?!

A use for those 7 inch nooks you picked up Phil.. I think a 7 inch sized tablet ideal sized for both ease of use and screen and still small and portable.

At last a GPS screen i can read easily :banana:

14651496512_328b9a29f7_b.jpg

I never used GPS on a motorcycle (in real) before.

With the CRF250M I have two options, use the older Garmin GPSmap 60CSx I still have or use a new Samsung Galaxy 5S (waterproof).
The Garmin is not so easy to use as it does not have a touchscreen, the menu's are not very simple but it is rugged and well made, plus it has the maps already installed.

The Samsung has no roaming facility as I use it for my work in China only. So the system would need to work offline.

For both situations I would need mounting hardware and electric wiring, for the Samsung I would also need to consider the maps to be used.

So, what is advisable? Go for the old and reliable Garmin or develop the Samsung platform with for example Orux?

I never used GPS on a motorcycle (in real) before.

With the CRF250M I have two options, use the older Garmin GPSmap 60CSx I still have or use a new Samsung Galaxy 5S (waterproof).
The Garmin is not so easy to use as it does not have a touchscreen, the menu's are not very simple but it is rugged and well made, plus it has the maps already installed.

The Samsung has no roaming facility as I use it for my work in China only. So the system would need to work offline.

For both situations I would need mounting hardware and electric wiring, for the Samsung I would also need to consider the maps to be used.

So, what is advisable? Go for the old and reliable Garmin or develop the Samsung platform with for example Orux?

Try sygic it works great on my S5

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forum Runner

Can you use Garmin format maps with Sygic Bob?

No sygic has its own mapping better than Garmin actually you could also try map.me but have to pay for the route able maps software. Sygic is great for inner cities like bkk

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forum Runner

Will try the app with the Thailand map on the Samsung to see how it performs versus the Garmin.

Downloaded Orux too, now need to figure out how to get the Garmin maps in there.

Seems that the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx I had for years has suddenly decided to give up as from today.
Upon powering on there is a startup screen, than it seems to die of power, even with fresh batteries in and connected to car battery or USB power?!

Found the problem, if you insert the micro SD card in an Android phone some extra files are added. This caused the Garmin not to properly start up......
Solution, insert SD card in PC, delete Android files and she fires back up as if nothing happened........pffffff

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C GPS - Help and Discussion 1
Back
Top Bottom