The Cambodian no headlights on in daytime "myth".

Murray Heath

I notice visitors to Cambodia often get their bike's headlight disconnected to ride in the Kingdom.
For some reason a lot of people still believe it is illegal to ride in Cambodia with headlights on in the daytime.
The police will occasionally pull you over but whatever cash you pay them comes under extortion, not laws.
Sihanouk Ville is the worst for this scam as the cops there are probably the worst in Cambodia for this kind of crap.
They usually hang around traffic lights and pull up foreigners for no other reason than they are foreigners.
First thing to do when pulled over in Cambodia is to remove your keys before Mr Plod can grab them.
Be friendly, be firm, let him know there in no law. You will usually be on your way after a couple of minutes.
The last time I was pulled up for this "Heinous Crime" was in Sihanouk Ville near the Golden Lions last month when
3 of us were guilty. The stop lasted around 30 seconds before we were away again.
BTW, headlights at night are optional in Cambodia.

Love the double jeopardy law though. Once you've been fined for whatever they can't do you again for the rest of the day.
I found the police to be very friendly in Sihanoukville.

Its a wise idea to have a switch for the headlight on something like a KLX anyway to preserve the battery, then it can also double up to avoid nuisance "myth scams" in Cambodia.

DSCF0110.jpg

It may be a myth.. But the fuckers still fine you for it if they can make you stop..

They never seem to give chase tho.

If stopped, along with the keys.. Never hand over a license, keep it firmly in hand and 'show' it.. I always carry a bought online IDL (not a legal doc) as if it comes to it you can just leave it behind.

Back
Top Bottom