The BMW G 650 X Country

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Just had a friend who needed to sell a 2008 BMW G 650 X Country quickly, so I made him an offer and he sold it to me.

WP_20140710_002.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Having done some significant touring on and off road on a 2004 BMW F 650 Dakar in the past in SE Asia, I was already aware of what great machines these were (if a little heavy for their performance) and this G 650 X Country would be a hybrid, tweaked, later version.

The BMW G 650 X Country was manufactured and sold (available in Thailand) between 2006 - 2009. Summary specifications below:

Power: 53 HP
Weight (wet): 156 KG
Fuel consumption: 19.2 KM/Liter
Fuel capacity: 9.5 Liters

Make Model
BMW G 650 X Country
Year
Engine
Four stroke, single cylinder, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Capacity
652 cc / 39.8 cub in.
Bore x Stroke100 x 83 mm
Compression Ratio11.5:1
CoolingLiquid
Lubrication
Dry sump
Induction
Fuel induction
Ignition
Capacitor Discharge Ignition system
Alternator 280-W generator
Battery12 V/10 Ah, maintenance-free
StartingElectric
Max Power
39 kW / 53 hp @ 7000 rpm
Max Torque
60 Nm / 6.1 kgf-m / 44.3 lb/ft@ 5250 rpm
Transmission
5 Speed
Final DriveChain
Clutch Multicdisc clutch in oil bath, mechanically operated
FrameBridge-type steel tube frame with bolted die-cast
Front Suspension
45mm Upside-down telescopic fork,
Front Wheel Travel240 mm / 9.5 in.
Rear Suspension
Aluminum 2-unit cast swing arm, air damping
Rear Wheel Travel210 mm / 8.3 in.
Front Brakes
Single 300mm disc 2 piston calipers
Rear Brakes
Single 240mm disc 1 piston calipers
ABSBMW Motorrad ABS (disconnectable) available as an option
Wheels Wire spoke wheels
Front Wheel1.60 x 19"
Rear Wheel2.50 x 17"
Front Tyre100/90-S19
Rear Tyre130/80-S17
Castor118 mm / 4.6 in.
Steering head angle62.5°
Gear Ratios1st 2.75 / 2nd 1.75 / 3rd 1.31 / 4th 1.05 / 5th 0.84:1
DimensionsLength 2205 mm / 86.8 in.
Width 907 mm / 35.7 in. (incl. mirrors)
Height 1255 mm / 49.4 in. (excl. mirrors)
Wheelbase1500 mm / 59.1 in.
Seat Height870 mm / 34.3 in / 840 mm / 33.1 in. (adjustable)
Dry Weight144 kg / 317 lbs.
Wet Weight156 kg / 344 lbs.
Fuel Capacity 9.5 Litres / 2.5 gl.
ReserveApprox 2 Litres / 0.5 gal.
Consumption average5.2 l/100 km / 19.3 km/l / 45.4 mpg
Standing ¼ Mile 14.0 sec
Top Speed162.9 km/h / 101 mph.

Some reviews from owners on Motorcycle.com :

BMW G 650 XCountry

By John Camillus(Owner), Jul. 31, 2010
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-half.gif

A light, functional motorcycle with just the right amount of advanced technology such as ABS. Works very well on paved toads (both highways and backroads) and has the ability (tires, clearance, suspension travel, footpegs and muffler positioning) to handle minor off-road situations. It offers a comf...Read Full Review

If you don't mind people trying to talk to you in traffic...

By David Quitt(Owner), Dec. 30, 2009
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-half.gif

Get this bike. I bought my G 650 X country about 2 months ago people stop and admire it constantly. It looks classy and interesting. The bike is covered in quality parts and it is just a blast to ride. I live in Hawaii and there is a nice winding road that leads to a lookout behind my house. The bik...Read Full Review

Adventure "lite"

By DRONE(Owner), Dec. 17, 2009
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-full.gif
icon-overall-empty.gif

This bike echoes the scrambler-type bikes of the 70's. Plenty of fun on pavement, and decent on dirt roads too. Suspension a little light for bigger riders/loads, and the headlight's not much use at night. Handling is great, and where else can you get a 350-lb bike with ABS? Had mine for a year ...Read Full Review

Remove the rear license plate/holder bit, mount the plate up higher if you're going off pavement. First off-road riding you do will find it bouncing into the rear wheel which will eat it, and your license plate. A tip also suggested by certain BMW "insiders".

Khairul - How do you find the G 650 X Country?

Phil, for the type of riding I am doing, I love it. Like I wrote, its nimble, handles good, compliant in corners, light.
The only pain (sort of
:lol) is when I am riding on the Malaysian highway from KL heading to the Thai border. I mean, it's a single, what do you expect. After the border though its a totally different story.
I just wished it had bigger tanks.

Remove the rear license plate/holder bit, mount the plate up higher if you're going off pavement. First off-road riding you do will find it bouncing into the rear wheel which will eat it, and your license plate. A tip also suggested by certain BMW "insiders".

Yeh, spotted that rear license plate holder disaster, shame they have to do this to meet regulations in certain countries the one on this bike is already wobbly.

WP_20140710_007.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Found and near R & G tail tidy on line that looks good

BMW G650 X Tail Tidy Licence Plate Holder LP0049BK

img531_5.jpg

Are you getting approx. 20km/ Liter?

Phil, for the type of riding I am doing, I love it. Like I wrote, its nimble, handles good, compliant in corners, light.
The only pain (sort of
:lol) is when I am riding on the Malaysian highway from KL heading to the Thai border. I mean, it's a single, what do you expect. After the border though its a totally different story.
I just wished it had bigger tanks.

I bet the standard exhaust weighs a ton, probably 12-15kg

WP_20140710_008.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

With total range being under/ around 200 KM on the standard fuel tank, for long distance, remote touring this could be irritating and producing some unwanted anxiety when you're down more than 1/2 tank. Touratech make an "add-on" 16 liter fuel tank that fits over the existing fuel tank, producing 25.5 liters of fuel capacity, resulting in about 500 Km of range from one tank.

Plus 4.2g tank for G650X Challenge (same as 049-0131 except TUV approved) - Touratech-USA

Expensive though, over USD$ 800

01-049-0130-01-lg.jpg

The kit

01-049-0130-0_kit1.jpg

This chap has done some excellent, well thought out mods in the link below:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450945

Check the thread about Walter Colebatch 650 X-Challenge ADV custom bike build = http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524638&highlight=colebatch
His Sibirsky Extreme Ride Reports on ADVrider are really worth a read as well, met him in Shanghai....

ps: we had a rare for China.... BMW 650 X-Challenge (full legal import a few years ago / very low mileage) but the seller was asking way too much $$$$'s.... could have been a nice project bike for long distance cruising in Red China.

I agree with you Butch - This bike could make an excellent long distance touring bike with a few mods., will read the thread.

Check the thread about Walter Colebatch 650 X-Challenge ADV custom bike build = RTW X-Challenge Adventurization - ADVrider
His Sibirsky Extreme Ride Reports on ADVrider are really worth a read as well, met him in Shanghai....

ps: we had a rare for China.... BMW 650 X-Challenge (full legal import a few years ago / very low mileage) but the seller was asking way too much $$$$'s.... could have been a nice project bike for long distance cruising in Red China.

Found and near R & G tail tidy on line that looks good

R+G Racing Tail Tidies are good solid parts.

Installed a few R+G Racing Tail Tidies on bikes incl. my MTS-PP to get the wobbly bits off the bikes.
Small tip, get a set of R+G Racing License Plate Extension/Adapter Kit (LPK0003BK) as they become very handy during installation and no extra holes needed in the license plate in case the sistine ones don't line up correctly....

Let the mods begin and post pics please!

Very good purchase, Phil!

The G650 X-Co & X-Ch are excellent platforms for building a long-distance adv travel bike. The Rotax engine is a gem! Great torque at low rpm and extremely reliable and durable. And probably the most economical big thumper in terms of gas consumption. Considering the incredible abuse and massive distances that the likes of Walter Colebatch and Terry Brown (Tee Bee on advrider forum) and numerous others have inflicted on their G650Xs, one can safely say the Rotax mills are among the most durable thumpers ever made. But please note that 'platform' is the operative word here, as the G650X needs some serious farkling to comply with rtw/adv travel requirements.

As you mentioned, the fuel capacity is insufficient for your needs. The TT gas tank is very expensive and restricts access to the air filter. Quite cumbersome when regular air filter cleaning is needed, which is often the case if you're riding in
a group and 'eating' dust thrown up by your fellow riders. Not unimportant for a tour guide like you. The auxiliary tank fabricated by Erik at hotrodwelding.com seems to be the most popular option for increasing fuel capacity. Not cheap either. If you opt for this solution, it's good to know that the X-Co has the advantage over the X-Ch that it is fitted with a steel subframe, so no need to replace it like the X-Ch's weak aluminium subframe.
Hotrod Welding | - Motorbike accessories - Xtank BMW G650XC

The suspension is definitely the weakest link of the platform. The OEM forks are the cheapest junk ever produced by Marzocchi. The easiest option is to fit 'proper' 45mm Marzocchi Shivers as they fit right into the stock triple clamps. Fitting 48mm WP forks requires new triple clamps and caliper bracket. In typical Beemer tradition, the OEM rear suspension is not much better, and the HyperPro shock seems to be popular choice as replacement and more durable than the Ohlins. Plenty of info on this topic on the forums. IMO, you can't go wrong heeding the advice offered by Walter Colebatch in his advr thread on 'adventurizing' his G650X. He really knows what he is talking about. And he has done more 'testing' than anyone else, I guess.

FYI, the following site contains quite a few interesting links. I think you'll find some useful stuff there.

Snooker's BMW G650 XCountry Links - Mods, Parts, Accessories, Reviews

Let the farkling begin...

Cheers!

Phil, Hotrod Welding is a Dutch company, I am leaving to Holland on the 5th of August and will be back somewhere early October.
Let me know if I can be of help for this, I am shipping some relocation stuff so I can add something at no extra transport costs.

Phil, Hotrod Welding is a Dutch company, I am leaving to Holland on the 5th of August and will be back somewhere early October.
Let me know if I can be of help for this, I am shipping some relocation stuff so I can add something at no extra transport costs.

Ok thanks Marcel.

That's a nice looking addition to the stable, Phil... the question is, at this rate, will there be any room left in the bar for customers?? :DD

Back
Top Bottom