The best 2 man tent you can buy

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
The Hilleberg Anjan 2 seems to win best 2 man tent year after year from different testers

Conclusion

The Anjan 2 earned our Editors' Choice award due to it strong performance on multiple metrics, and its competitive price. While there are less expensive tents, we consider the $595 price a good value for the quality of tent provided. If we were to recommend just one tent to friends and family, it would be this one. Whether your interests include backpacking alone, or multiple activities like car camping, bike touring

Good review below:

Hilleberg Anjan 2 Review - OutdoorGearLab

Not cheap - USD$ 600

best 2 man tents by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Best Ultra Light shelters below:

tent ultra light by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Link:

The Best Ultralight Tent Shelter for Backpacking | OutdoorGearLab

[FONT=&quot]Hi Phil would it be better to call it a 2 person Tent don't need people to think us bikes could be all Gay

eye pop[/FONT]

Hi Phil would it be better to call it a 2 person Tent don't need people to think us bikes could be all Gay

eye pop

You need a two man tent, or there isnt space for your gear inside too. Forget one man tents, everything gets wet if left outside from condensation.

Hi Guys

Just interested to know where can one buys a good 2 person (but only meant for one occupant) camping tent (suitable for all weather & temperature) in Thailand. It needs to be practically able to load up on a bike.

Thanks

Lip Meng

I think the MSR Hubba Hubba NX (2 man) is better than my Hilleberg Ajan 2, the HH's spreader bar really adds upper level room to the tent. The HH also is self standing (Anjan 2 isnt). The only big advantage the Ajan 2 has is that it rigs very quickly.

Anjan 2 below

1382843_10154359354958345_1112659227724739332_n.jpg

Hubba Hubba below

12049694_10207788625902986_6246409786934750724_n.jpg

Dear all

Here is a picture that I saw in HU website and the forefront tent of the photo seems to be ideal for me.
Would be pleased to know if it is available in Thailand.

Tqs

Lip Mengtents_zpsd6udq8pj.jpg

It pack like a flat disc of less than 70cm diameter, will see how that pans out :D

That's 2 feet in old money, unless you can fold that multiple times it's going to be hard to fit on any bike. If you're looking for budget camping gear the two things you need to invest the most are a good pillow and air mattress that will insulate you from colder ground.

Just my 2 cents worth but when I was younger (some 50 years ago) we went camping on our 49.9 cc bikes carrying a heavy canvass tent, a primus cooker and lots of other heavy stuff and had lots of fun. Reading all this stuff about the lightest/smallest/super-duper stuff here on the forum it looks like that at the moment, if you don't have space age camping stuff, you don't count anymore.

I think those pop-up Tents are more suitable for Car Camping. We don't really need anything more than a cheap '1 season' tent here generally and they can be had for a few hundred baht at the local markets, but they are cheap and nasty. if you've got the money why not have the best Tent you can afford within reason. I have a Hilleberg Akto 1 person Tent and having spent many a night in it in the UK, I do think it will be ideal for me here too.

After making a cardboard mock up decided to change my Decathlon order, still in time.
Quechua Forclaz 2 it will be at 70 Euro /2700 baht, thanks Forest!

Thanks guy for those valuable insights & info as it was helpful to my lack of camping knowledge & almost zero experience.
I have narrow down to my choice of 2 person tent that needs to be able to be "self-standing" & withstand all weather so that I can use even in high attitude such as northern India as well as other cool places.

Perhaps I will look for the HH tent in Spore or Thailand later in Dec.

Looking forward to ride with a tent to camp in Thailand & Laos in the very near future before trying it elsewhere.

Regards

Lip Meng,

A good article about the best light self standing tents

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...alight-tent-review-mcdevitt.html#.VkGzqlV96Uk

ultralight-tent-review-mcdevitt-1.jpg

A few months ago I contacted Backpacking Light about doing a tent review. I wanted to see how tents have evolved since I stopped designing them in 2010. I was delighted that they said yes! I should tell you a bit about myself: I am a seasoned outdoor industry designer; I worked at Mountain Hardwear from 2000-2010, TRX Head designer, 2011-2012, Header Designer at Trinity Design Collaborative, 2012-2103. I have also been a pro level 24 Solo Mountain Bike racer and Ultra Marathoner for years. My ethos is to try and work hard, get past the marketing gimmicks and hype - get to the science of the product being an improvement or not. I have been fortunate to learn from some super smart people over the years. I have been afforded the opportunity to design fabrics, injection molded parts, tents, sleeping bags, suspension trainers and a lot more. Currently, I specialize in helping start ups refine their designs and bring their product to market.
The purpose of this article is to test and review tents in both the one-person and the two-person variety. For the past few weeks I have been testing the following tents:

• Mountain Hardwear Mega UL 1
  • Mountain Hardwear Mega UL 2
  • The North Face Mica FL 1
  • The North Face Mica FL 2
  • Nemo Equipment Obi 2P

[h=2]Summary[/h]All the tents did great through several storms that varied from rain, to sleet, to snow. There was not a bad tent in the bunch. I felt as though the Mountain Hardwear Super Mega UL series got a rating of 5 because it brought the most new technology with some really nice fabrics and proprietary parts. The North Face Mica series was next best with the best design for solving the balance of price, weight and durability. They felt super spacious. The Nemo Obi series was probably the strongest of all of them but was also the shortest. Which tent would I want? Probably the Mountain Hardwear super mega but I am a bit of nerd.

i have been using a Vango Force 10 for last 30 years csot me £150 in 1983 it packs up into a bag about 60cm long by 25cm wide and weighs about 10kg ,,fits on back of bike and can handle a man and lady and gear no problems , good for shagging in,,,,,,
yes its old fashioned and bulky and takes about 10mins to put up but it has worked faultlessly for 30 years and still going strong but its not a warm weather tent it was designed for serious mountaineering .

most of the newer models seem very quick to set up and may reflect heat and UV more,,,,

After making a cardboard mock up decided to change my Decathlon order, still in time.
Quechua Forclaz 2 it will be at 70 Euro /2700 baht, thanks Forest!

Hi Marcel

Which country did you order from Decathlon for 70 Euro? I found that S'pore Decathlon sells it at SG$149.90 with free shipping within the island state. Also is the Forclaz 2 suitable for all weather such as cool climates on EU?

Thus far, this is what I consider suitable for me within my shallow knowledge or experience in camping tent and I may to get if from S'pore will be closed to RM500 after conversion to SG $.

Lip Meng

Hi Lip Meng, I ordered from the Decathlon website in The Netherlands. Tomorrow evening I will fly there and the 22nd I will be back in the Rai.

Lots of riders using the 400 baht 2-man-tents from Tesco-Lotus. With the mild weather in this region they do the job just fine.

If you want the best, Craig has the best tent available.

Dear all

I am the mist of packing my stuff for 4 to 5 weeks ride up north inclusive of northern Laos (ie Nongkhiaw - San Neau - Phonsavan) then heading south home end Oct or early Nov with a tight budget.

Will be eager to try out my newly purchased tent Forclaz 2 for the northern Thai & Laos section but not sure whether there are many choices available for a camp site (free or a small fee).

Hope to have so suggestions from inmates here as to where pitch up for a night or two (not those wild camping and I do not have cooking tools with me).....such as Phu Chi Fah, MHS, Mae Salong, Thoed Thai, Petchabun...etc.

Thanks

Regards

Lip Meng

Dear all

I am the mist of packing my stuff for 4 to 5 weeks ride up north inclusive of northern Laos (ie Nongkhiaw - San Neau - Phonsavan) then heading south home end Oct or early Nov with a tight budget.

Will be eager to try out my newly purchased tent Forclaz 2 for the northern Thai & Laos section but not sure whether there are many choices available for a camp site (free or a small fee).

Hope to have so suggestions from inmates here as to where pitch up for a night or two (not those wild camping and I do not have cooking tools with me).....such as Phu Chi Fah, MHS, Mae Salong, Thoed Thai, Petchabun...etc.

Thanks

Regards

Lip Meng

In Thailand the national parks might be a good option for you. Small fee with security and toilet facilities.

Dear all

Thanks

Regards

Lip Meng

More info here.

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/forums/131-Campsites-accessible-by-motorcycle-in-Thailand

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/threads/7885-National-Parks-Information-Site

I've spent years trying to find a 2 man lightweight tent, that's designed for the tropics. 99.9% of quality 2 man, flysheet tents, are way too hot for the tropics. Most single layer tents (which need a waterproof roof to protect you from morning dew) accumulate too much condensation from breathing and body sweat.

The Sierra Designs TENSEGRITY 2 FL is an interesting new single layer tent with 3x massive ventilation windows, so no condensation on the single roof layer.

https://sierradesigns.com/tensegrity-2-fl/

A very unusual design that gets wider as you go higher to the roof. 2x vertical poles and a small rear foot pole.

You could go without the poles and tie it to your bike.

756__79819.1458334121.270.270.jpg

Tried mine in anger recently and highly impressed. All 3 huge mesh windows open, lots of ventelation. Rain from one side just needed to zip the window up, there wasn't any leaks.

P1250363_edited_marked by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr[/IMG]

Without the 2 poles it weighs just over 1kg

Tensegrity represents an aggressive reimagining of non-freestanding tent design. It is the first, and only tent on the market that gets wider toward it's peak enabling lighter builds that offer more living space than any comparable tent. The Tensegrity is the ultimate choice for serious backpackers.

Accessories

Pitching Instructions

Tent User Manual

Guyline Line-Lok® Cleat Instructions

MATERIALSTECH SPECS
  • TECH SPECS

Capacity:2Freestanding?NoMinimum Weight:2 lbs 10 oz / 1.16 kg (tent and poles only)Packaged Weight:3 lbs / 1.33 kg Number of Doors:3 (2 main, 1 secondary access)Number of Gear Closets:1Gear Storage Area:10.8 ft[SUP]2[/SUP] / 1 m[SUP]2[/SUP]Interior Area:29.3 ft[SUP]2[/SUP] / 2.72 m[SUP]2[/SUP]Internal Peak Height:41 in. / 104 cmAwning Height:45 in. / 114 cmAwning Overhang:12 in. / 30 cmLength:88 in. / 224 cmWidthront: 50 in. / 127 cmRear: 46 in. / 117 cmFootprint:n/aNumber of guylines:4Stake Quantity:9 Tent Storage Bag:Length: 14 in. / 35.6 cm
    Diameter: 5.5 in. / 14 cmPole Storage Bag:Length: 17.5 in. / 44.5 cm
    Width: 3.5 in. / 8.9 cm Tent Stake Storage Bag:Length: 8 in. / 29.9 cm
    Width: 3.5 in. / 8.9 cm

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil Tents Bivvies & Hammocks 2