The 1184 - So good I rode it twice

Ally

Bikes
PCX - with custom valve caps
The 1184 is a road that starts at Pa Sang, just south of Lamphun and runs south through some wonderful landscapes and has very little traffic.

It's a brilliant road to ride with long straights, many twisty corners and long sweeping bends.

There are a few interesting things to see along the way, trouble is, it means you have to stop to appreciate them !!!
icon_wink.gif

So in the morning, I rode south, had lunch & then promptly turned around and rode north again.

I took the canal road towards San Patong and checked the progress.

N18.64176 E98.84517

Looking good, this is going to be a full dual carriageway, as it is back up nearer Chiang Mai. Below is one side, there is another behind me !

At San Patong, I take a short stretch of the 108 south and then at the other end of the above development, I take the left towards Pa Sang.

N18.53099 E98.86299

At Pa Sang I ride down the 106 for a while until I reach the 1184.

Not far down the 1184, I take a look at Wat Mon Mahin Sila Ram

N18.42456 E98.90886

This is the main Sala. Fairly unremarkable on the outside, compared to some.

This is inside !!!

Looks like there is another massive sala under construction.

Bit of a Naval feel to this place.

Nearly ready ;)

This is the entrance to the temple above. Just off to the left at this point is another amazing place.

This building is beautiful. Albeit quite eerie as the place is completely deserted I felt very much a peace here. The forests around these grounds were full of bird songs.

I can't believe this building was constructed in the middle of the water. The water is currently very low. I guess the land it was built on eroded and it sunk.... Naaa! It must have been built in the middle when the water was lower than this !

The 1184 has lots of this

And this too

This body shop has an interesting advertising style.

525378_422874707810088_1279165370_n.jpg
Lunch was delicious

N18.00414 E99.02815

After lunch at Thung Hua Chang I then retraced my route north again to enjoy this fabulous road, stopping at Wat Huai Rai.

N18.05349 E99.02161

I was fascinated by the style of construction of the Chedi here. Quite unusual.

More of the 1184

Not bored yet ;)

At the spirit house in the middle of the mountain stretch, the road / embankment is seeing underpinning work.

It could take a while - these guys are filling bags with shingle... very slowly.

Mae Ao Yai Ton Bon Reservoir

N18.28728 E98.93001

Water level is very low here

So low, the cables to the pump boat are too short!

Something appears to be missing

I never tire of these near water - rolling hills in the background images.

Rather than doing the top of the 1184 again, I take the 4010 (one of Slash's favourites) and stop off at the reservoir to check to road that runs into the water.

Nam Mae Moei
N18.35496 E98.95809

Fishenough !!! Where are you ?

Wat Mon Chom Tham

N18.42456 E98.90886

Further along the 4010 I turn onto the 3019 and head towards Pa Sang and see the roofline & glittering gold up in the mountain, slightly hidden by the dense forest.

When I get here, the place is completely locked up but after a warm greeting by a few dogs and a couple of helpful inquisitive ladies, they kindly opened the temple up for me to see.

What a gem. Turn away now if you are 'templed out' but the murals within this sala are like a story book.

From the temple, the view of the valley I had just ridden (twice) looks inviting for another ride ;)

Back to the 106, riding towards Lamphun, I stop at a valuable find.

Good coffee, chilled lounge area, free wifi & lots of smiles.

N18.46278 E98.91810

I enjoyed my ride today, I hope you did too !

Ally

Looks like a terrific day out there Ally..... love the murals in that sala.

Fishenough !!! Where are you ?

IMG_0109a.jpg

Ally

Rather far away and suffering an ailment where at a random time(s) throughout the day, every day, I find my mind on a bike on some varied particular spot on Thai roads.

Now that the sun rises here before 5 am, I don't know what to do with myself for that first cup of coffee since Captain Slash has left.

I read your report well visiting 59°12′10″N 121°36′54″W. Wonderful photos and a treat to see that clean air this time of year. Thank you Ally

The drive home Thursday, certainly no shortage of clean air on the Alaska highway.

IMG_0196.JPG

Cheers

Very nice Ally.
Your report has inspired a Chiang Rai rider to follow your tracks when he next visits.

You really find some interesting stuff out there that we haven't seen before, this looks like a great piece to go photograph

1234-705x960.jpg

Looks like a great route Ally, will put it on my todo list for sure.

Nice pictures by the way.

Thanks for all your comments, glad you found it of interest.

We are so lucky to have heaps of roads like this in the north of Thailand.

Ally

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
2wheels Thailand Ride Reports 4
BillyBaht Thailand Ride Reports 8
Back
Top Bottom