Tham Khieo or the Cave of the Teeth

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
A good friend asked me earlier this year if I had been to the Cave of Teeth in Laos and I had to admit that I had not. He went there when he was staying in Luang Phrabang while helping out with LEOT or the Lao Educational Opportunities Trust (LEOT) where he tought the young guys about mechanics and motorbike repairs.

While visiting one of the volunteer teachers of LEOT, they took the opportunity to see the Cave of Teeth or Tham Khieo which is located along Rd 2504 on the road from Rd 13N to Phonxai (Tham Khieo - N19.96531 E102.42665). There are lots of teeth (both human and animal) displayed in cabinets with very little info on how they got there. Some stories have it that it was POW camp for the Phathet Lao during the revolution but there is no real evidence for that.

You can find the whole story about the cave here: Motorcycle Tours Laos: Cave of Teeth......Pow camp?
and an extract here: The Cave of Teeth in Laos: Was this a Vietnam-War POW Prison? » Outside Pattaya, Photo Stories » In Pattaya Now

P1050350-L.jpg

Picture of the bridge over the Nam Pa which will bring you to the cave (copyright: Steve Canyon)

Back
Top Bottom