Tent, Bivy or Hammock?

rideallday

Bikes
Kawasaki Ninja H2, Honda CB750
I've finally stumbled into some extra cash and I'm looking to improve upon my current outdoor setup.

I'm currently using an old 2-man tent from the jurassic period. It's time for an upgrade.

But I'm also tempted by the idea of swinging from the tress in a hammock.

Before I invest, I decided to ask around. Should I stay in my comfort zone and pick up another 2-man tent or should I risk a bivy tent or even a hammock?

Any thoughts welcome!

Last edited:
All a matter of personal choice and climates, i prefer a hammock and always sleep better than a tent, problem in SE Asia these days is finding a suitable place to hang the thing with the rapid demise of tree's. If your ride in a group most likely your buddies will have tents, so you may be the antisocial one off in the tree's, with a tent (especially the free standing type) we can pitch any place even on concrete. Always go for a two man tent that way you can get most of your gear inside out of sight and many have enough space to do your cooking etc should it rain.

Stay away from big name brands they cost five times that of say a Naturehike, and last around the same.

Agree with Bob.
There's also the weight factor (although that may not be a factor on a Ninja H2 !!!!!)
Hammocks while we still have trees.
And good to see you here 'rideallday'.

I've finally stumbled into some extra cash and I'm looking to improve upon my current outdoor setup.

I'm currently using an old 2-man tent from the jurassic period. It's time for an upgrade.

I've been reading up on bivy tents and have found some potential options here: https://professionalcamping.com/best-bivy-tents/

But I'm also tempted by the idea of swinging from the tress in a hammock.

Before I invest, I decided to ask around. Should I stay in my comfort zone and pick up another 2-man tent or should I risk a bivy tent or even a hammock?

Any thoughts welcome!
I would buy a cheap hammock just to see if you like. I tried a hammock for two weeks and it wasn't for me. Now I only use a tarp.

Sent from my CRO-L22 using Tapatalk

Thanks Marcel.
I'm guessing this .... "Maximum bobyweight 120cm." ..... should read 120 kgs.

The Siam hammock is very well made and can be used as a Tent if you have no Trees. It's not as long as some Hammocks out there and maybe not as easy to get that 'diagonal lay' if your tall.

Those Nature Hike Tents do look to be very good quality for a very good price.

After camping for a year in Vietnam in 1970 this is now my idea of camping.

Attachments

• Camping.jpg
    Camping.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 301
Back
Top Bottom