Suzuki Chiang Mai - Mr. Burgman comes to town

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Took a visit to the Suzuki showroom in Chiang Mai, the showroom is nowhere near as sexy as Bigwing or Kawasaki

IMG_8136_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Numerous V-Strom 650's on show in different colors, basic bike 350,000 bht

IMG_8137_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

As an adventure bike, the ground clearance still has me worried

FlickrDroid Upload by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

FlickrDroid Upload by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

They have a touring model setup ready for someone, with touring kit 450,000 Bht

IMG_8143_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Been toying with the idea of a touring scooter for a while, everyone I know who's bought a Honda Forza 300cc (160,000 Bht) loves them for touring. Lan from C & P Bike Rentals, told me about the 200cc Suzuki Burgman scooter that had just been released here, he said he liked it a lot, so that was the primary reason for going to Suzuki. List price is 145,000 Bht.

They had a demo 200cc Burgman out front, being 100cc less than the Honda Forza (300cc), I wanted to see if it had enough power.

IMG_8140_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Took it for a spin, highly impressed with performance and excellent braking (ABS too). They only had one in stock in black.

IMG_8141_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

PS - Liked it so much I bought it.

Good review here:

2014 Suzuki Burgman 200 | motorcycle review @ Top Speed

Suzuki has taken the wraps off its new Burgman 200 ABS. The scooter is the smallest model in the Burgman lineup and shares many common elements with its bigger sibilings - the Burgman 400 and Burgman 650.
The scooter weighs only 163 kg and is propelled by a 200cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, single-cylinder, OHC engine which puts out 18 hp and 18.8 Nm of torque. The engine is mated to a smooth CVT transmission.
As far as ergonomics are concerned, the Burgman 200 features a spacious seat with a generous storage box underneath it that is big enough to swallow 2 helmets.
The ride quality is assured by telescopic front forks (33mm inner tube diameter) and rear twin shock absorbers that feature spring pre-load adjustments.
The scooter's speed is kept under control by a set of 240mm front discs with 2-piston calipers and 240mm rear discs with single piston calipers.

& here:

First Look: 2014 Burgman 200 ABS - Cycle News

If you're the goldilocks in the scooter-buying world and the Burgman 650 and 400 were too big, the new Burgman 200 ABS may be just right. Originally sold only in Europe, the Burgman 200 ABS is coming to America as a 2014 model.
It first hit Europe as the Burgman 150 in 2002 before receiving a makeover in 2007 with a displacement increase to bring it to 200cc as the Burgman 200. In preparation for its global debut, the 2014 version gets another makeover with some styling changes, a new cockpit design, complete with a new instrument panel, and it now comes standard with ABS.
The Burgman series mantra is "elegance, comfort, and luxury." Suzuki engineers decided, why not add sporty to that mantra. So from head to tail, the new Burgman 200 received a sleeker, edgier, sportier design.
With its new more sharply designed nose, the Burgman has a dual headlight to match its bolder design. The turn signals are also new up front and are integrated into the body of the Burgman and feature a clear outer lens.

& here:

New-for-2014 Suzuki First Look Review | Rider Magazine

2014 Suzuki Burgman 200 ABS

2014 Suzuki Burgman 200 ABS
In 2002, Suzuki introduced the Burgman 150, Burgman 400 and Burgman 650 in Europe. The 400 and 650 came to the U.S., but the Burgman 150 remained a Europe-only model. It was revised in 2007, with displacement increased to 200cc. Having sold over 44,000 units in Europe from 2002-2012, Suzuki decided it was time to give Americans a lower-displacement Burgman option. Its liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, OHC single makes a claimed 18.1 horsepower at 8,000 rpm and 12.5 lb-ft of torque at 6,000 rpm, and power is sent to the rear wheel through a twist-and-go CVT.
Styling is unmistakably Burgman, but the 200 is shorter, narrower, lighter and has a lower seat than its big brothers. Wheelbase is 57.7 inches, width is 29.1 inches, claimed wet weight is 362 pounds and seat height is 28.9 inches. The rider portion of the 2-person seat is narrow in front, wide in the back, and, along with the slim floorboards, makes it easy to plant both feet on the ground. Under the seat is a 41-liter storage area that will hold two full-face helmets (claimed) and has a built-in light. Two front storage compartments hold another 5.5 liters; one is lockable and includes a 12V power outlet.
Cast aluminum wheels (13-inch front, 12-inch rear) have a 6-spoke design, and dual disc brakes with ABS are standard. The windscreen was designed in a wind tunnel to improve protection and reduce turbulence. Between the analog speedometer and tachometer is an LCD display that includes an odometer, dual tripmeter, fuel gauge, fuel consumption meter and an oil change indicator. An ECO indicator informs the pilot when he or she is being judicious with the throttle. Factory accessories include a top case, rear rack, passenger backrest, heated grips and more.
The 2014 Burgman 200 ABS will be available in Cool Silver; pricing and availability is TBD.

Thank you, thoughts are that Som & Allys can come to Nan. If Allys falls asleep it won't be a big deal.

burgman-top.jpg

Congrats Som with the new ride.

Am I spotting a white and blue VanVan behind the showroom Burgman?!

Will make sure I will go and have a look at the Suzi's next time I am in CM, likely the week of the 19th of May. Need to get a visa for China.

...............PS - Liked it so much I bought it............

Congratulations on your new buy Phil...looks awful comfortable.

One thing I don't get though is the wheel size...(13" rear, 14" front?)... it looks like they are getting smaller and smaller when in fact with many of these roads the old saying "bigger is better" would sound true.

Keep us posted.

It sure looks that Suzuki is the second manufacturer to make things interesting, nice line-up and pricing that is becoming quite reasonable...I like that Gladius - looks like they got inspired by the Brutale.

Is Yamaha following the Kawasaki and now Suzuki effort this year?

Just took the Burgman 200 scooter through some corners and the small wheels feel good. The problem will come when you hit some rough surface or don't see a pothole.

Congratulations on your new buy Phil...looks awful comfortable.

One thing I don't get though is the wheel size...(13" rear, 14" front?)... it looks like they are getting smaller and smaller when in fact with many of these roads the old saying "bigger is better" would sound true.

Keep us posted.

It sure looks that Suzuki is the second manufacturer to make things interesting, nice line-up and pricing that is becoming quite reasonable...I like that Gladius - looks like they got inspired by the Brutale.

Is Yamaha following the Kawasaki and now Suzuki effort this year?

Great to see all of these options we now have in Chiang Mai.
Things sure are getting better for riders here.

Looks good Phil. Congrats to Som.Wouldn't suggest a Nan ride today... rather wet here.

Back
Top Bottom