Suggestions: Northbound ride to Chiang Mai (from Koh Chang)

Alprider

Bikes
2005 Honda XL650V Transalp; and 2005 Honda ST1300 Pan-European
Hi to all

I’m currently on Koh Chang (Trat) and will be heading up north from next Monday-11th to Chiang Mai to attend some of the [more 'subdued'] Loi Krathong and Yi Peng festivities. I am allowing 4-5 days for the northbound trip, which should be more than enough time to take-in a few points of interest (POI) along the way.

Avoiding Bangkok by passing it to the east, and then heading-up more-or-less through the centre of northern Thailand, can anyone offer any suggestions for a decent route with some worthwhile POIs to see during the ride up?

I’m open to any suggestions, because for some reason I’m struggling with this one. Reading through The Lonely Planet Guide (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Northern Thailand) is just making matters worse! :confused:

Incidentally, thinking it might be busy; I’ve already pre-booked accommodation in Chiang Mai for the 15th – 16th – 17th.

Thanks in Advance

Keith [& Ellen]

Sukothai is a nice place to stop and explore..the historical park quite tranquil and pleasant POI. It`s about another 4 hours north to CM from there.

There`s more of that sort of thing around Korat and Buriram.

I live in Trat. I've ridden my bike up to CNX a few times. I always seem to head up to Nong Khai then along the river to Chiang Khan then on to Nan and CNX. It really never is the same route each time. I just plot a route in the GPS the night before using the twistiest small roads I can find. The one observation I'll make is from Makam to Sa Kaeo on highway 317 is murder. Lots of road construction and some not too polite drivers. The old highway 3424/3395 is more relaxed and scenic. You have to stay on 317 for a bit about halfway to Sa Kaeo unfortunately. I can't help on the POI's. On the small back roads there's lots to see.

Rather than taking the boring sukhumvit from Trat to Rayong you could take the "Scenic 4036" along the coast, super for bikes. You will pass Oasis Sea World, not to be confused with Sea World in US. You will come out not far from USS Gallup and in time to catch 344.

If you would stay in Pattaya have a look here for POIs.

You could take the 3077 through Khao Yai National Park to avoid Bangkok. Super road for bikes but you have to pay entrance fee. Last time I was there they gave me the Thai rate upon presentation of a Thai driver's license. The park has some waterfalls and wild elephants among other things.

GPX

Thanks

This info is a big help. I've been working on my route plan(s) trying to incorporate most, if not all, of your suggestions. Also studying this thread, in addition, if I wanted to incorporate:

1. The 120 from Mae Kachan (on Rd 118) to Phayao (on Rd 1) , and
  2. R 1150 from Phrao eastwards to R 118
.. before finally heading south to Chiang Mai, then I will be facing a near 2,000 km ride, which is a big ask for me over just five days, especially along some fairly technical stretches of road. Note: I'm 2-up with a ton of luggage (including her hairdryer!)

With this in mind, I may need to either:

• trim it down, e.g. missing out tracking along the Mekong River bit, or
  • leave a day earlier (like tomorrow).

Thanks again .. :)

Keith

Assuming you are in Chiangmai for 2 full days (16 and 17) you could, as the Loi Krathong and Yi Peng festivities are basically celebrated in the evening, make some day trips during day time although during these days it might be a little bit more busy on the road than usual and you would have to be back in town before they are closing down roads (along the river) for the festivities.

This info is a big help. I've been working on my route plan(s) trying to incorporate most, if not all, of your suggestions. Also studying this thread, in addition, if I wanted to incorporate:

1. The 120 from Mae Kachan (on Rd 118) to Phayao (on Rd 1) , and
  2. R 1150 from Phrao eastwards to R 118
.. before finally heading south to Chiang Mai, then I will be facing a near 2,000 km ride, which is a big ask for me over just five days, especially along some fairly technical stretches of road. Note: I'm 2-up with a ton of luggage (including her hairdryer!)

With this in mind, I may need to either:

• trim it down, e.g. missing out tracking along the Mekong River bit, or
  • leave a day earlier (like tomorrow).

Thanks again .. :)

Keith

You could also head towards CM from Nan using the 1091-1251 then the 120 to Mae Kachan then north and hook up with the 1150.

I followed all of your suggestions. 2,065 km all told.

R1091 west out of Nan was incredible - and easily the best 'fun' road so far, anywhere in SE Asia .. :D

Cheers

Keith

Koh%20Chang%20to%20Chiang%20Mai-M.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Thailand Information 8
Back
Top Bottom