Steph Jeavons Round The world On A CRF-250L

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Blog link to Steph's amazing journey where you can follow her progress and current location.

One Steph Beyond...: The Challenge

1797486_701526079870575_851724041_n.jpg

Thanks for that Bob.
Steph has my total respect.
Would be good if the RideAsia community could welcome her if/when she comes into northern Thailand.

Looking at her route she will come through CNX then on to Laos

Steph is now in Bangkok and heading north on her CRF 250L to do the MHS loop before turning to Laos, if anyone along her route can offer her a roof for the night (excluding Chiang Rai) she would be most grateful.

More info here One Steph Beyond...

http://www.facebook.com/steph.jeavons.3

It doesn't look like she'll be heading this way but if for some reason Steph alters her course and passes via Surin my door is always open (as always to all riders), guest rooms and tools handy and the BBQ is always ready to spring to action (as long as our guests don't mind dogs as we have plenty). Of course always free though these days I'd be happy if the guests chip in with the booze if they want as we're still a little short on cash.

If she does change her route to go through the Nan/Laos border I'd gladly put her up for the night, at the Hotel across from Tony's.

if come through Pai ,I have a spare guesthouse ! my pleasure to hear how our beloved CRF goes ;)

:hmmLook's like Pai has moved further South according to her map

No the map is correct, Pai slid down after that earthquake in Chiang Rai. :)

That explains a lot marcusb. by the way just chatting with her look's like Nan is now on the route so get your wallet out :banana:

hehehe..and (marcus) wallet ready+ u can also try improve jokes/humor a bit ;)

That explains a lot marcusb. by the way just chatting with her look's like Nan is now on the route so get your wallet out :banana:

Ok, so by the look's of it generous riders have offered accommodation in Pai, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Nan. She will be travelling via Mae Sot - Mae Sariang to Mae Hong Song so if anyone can offer a roof for the night in MS or MHS that would be great :applause:

I'm on my way

Hi

Just found you guys through BOB. I am now coming through Pai so would love to take you up on that offer? SHould be there on the 18th or 19th?:banana:

route through Thailand.jpg
This is my updated route. I'm leaving Bangkok tomorrow and start working my way up slowly. First stop is Tac and then as per the map. Any support or company on the ride would be most welcome!! Cheers guys x

ye let me know when u pass throu Pai.here i am.welcome :) i send my phone numb to your facebook inbox .bye

Hi

Just found you guys through BOB. I am now coming through Pai so would love to take you up on that offer? SHould be there on the 18th or 19th?:banana:

Hope to meet you in Chiang Mai Steph.

How is the CRF coping with the challenge and what modifications have you made to it?

Very best wishes.

Phil ,there is a shop that can re-do a more confy crf seat(inexpensive good job where i did mine),just a 100meters down from your place in cm..same side towards tha pae.I was chatting with her about it earlier ;) that would be a great improvement to her experience and a long way ahead..i'll give GPS co-s,but i'm sure u can facilitate that,most prob know already where :RO

Steph ..im in Borneo will be back in Chiang Mai 20th Aug would love to meet up with you.

One of the best things I did to my CRF. Can now go all day without extra padding. Asked for narrow at the front so I could still get feet down easily and wide at back so I can sit back when cruising.26112013078.jpg
Shop hidden here, few hundred meters down from 'Riders'.
26112013079.jpg
But the best thing was having the exhaust 'gutted'. More tourque, a gear or two higher in most conditions, safer overtaking, and very little more noise. Just sounds like a 'real' bike and turns transforms it from a weedy barely adequate 250 into what feels like a good ol' 300cc bike.
25112013052.jpg
1000Bht each mod.

wow..that's exactely the kid at the metal shop i worked with in several occasions..and that is the shop to re do the sit too!!well done..my seat was only 500Bht ,best money spent on crf so far (when the poor thing was only 2-3-days old,mods right away!no merci heheh )

One of the best things I did to my CRF. Can now go all day without extra padding. Asked for narrow at the front so I could still get feet down easily and wide at back so I can sit back when cruising.View attachment 30688
Shop hidden here, few hundred meters down from 'Riders'.
View attachment 30689
But the best thing was having the exhaust 'gutted'. More tourque, a gear or two higher in most conditions, safer overtaking, and very little more noise. Just sounds like a 'real' bike and turns transforms it from a weedy barely adequate 250 into what feels like a good ol' 300cc bike.

1000Bht each mod.

Hope to meet you in Chiang Mai Steph.

How is the CRF coping with the challenge and what modifications have you made to it?

Very best wishes.

RHonda the Honda is doing very very well. No problems so far. I changed the front sprocket to a 13tooth, added a belly pan, heated grips and hand guards and I put a 12 litre tank on her. Thats it.

Just arrived in Tak. Hopefully now It is all nice roads and the boring stuff is out of the way!! : 0 )

RHonda the Honda is doing very very well. No problems so far. I changed the front sprocket to a 13tooth, added a belly pan, heated grips and hand guards and I put a 12 litre tank on her. Thats it.

Just arrived in Tak. Hopefully now It is all nice roads and the boring stuff is out of the way!! : 0 )
Well done Steph that's a truly boring ride behind you, now you should start to see some greenery. Hope the rain stays off for the next few days, have fun.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forum Runner

Mae Sot

Anyone got any suggestions for things to do in Mae Sot and also how to find the gibbon sanctuary? Heading there tomorrow.

getting only the muffler 'gutted' only makes it sound better ,'fatter'.without at least minor mods like jet control and front sprocket...is like u blow a balloon with a hole in it ,with the same 'chest ' power ;) makes sense_? yes afterstock mufflers can make a difference ,but at the end of the day is the engine that powers the bike.sinergy
PS love this kid ,he knows his job!

View attachment 30690
1000Bht each mod.[/QUOTE]

@Forrest
Not sure what you are trying to say but I can assure you the bike is vastly improved. Will be happy to demonstrate when I return Novemberish

I can support Tim's observation.
Having ridden his modified bike and my standard CRF on the same road, his has more grunt to it than mine.
It 'hangs on' more in all gears, so tackling the hills on 118, for example, is a much easier task on Tim's bike.
I can't explain it technically but there most definitely is a difference.
And it sounds better too!

sorry english is not my mother language.was just trying to say that only opening up the muffler doesn't change so much. a 13T front sprocket is fundamental for the CRF mods.a jet controller also makes a difference.I did all 3 and is definetly fun to ride.will be my pleasure to share a ride if u like ,when u come back. :)
S.

@Forrest
Not sure what you are trying to say but I can assure you the bike is vastly improved. Will be happy to demonstrate when I return Novemberish

Oops.... sorry, missed it this at the time, a week ago :o - and I hope your found it. The Gibbon sanctuary doesn't really have much of a sign. From memory, its near the 41 km or 42 km mileage marker out of Mae Sot, heading towards Umphang. Here's their front gate....

... which, despite the sign, was accessible

The owner is a lovely lady, continuing on despite the murder of her husband and IIRC, two staff some time back

She can use all the help she gets too. I was happy to provide some money for a month's feed for them

.... and if that Honda has a knock and you are headed into Laos... now's the time to fix it. I seized my bike near the China border a couple of months back and it took 3 days to get it back to Vientiane.

Back
Top Bottom