Stainless steel engine crank case - case guards

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Stainless steel engine crank case - case guards

If you do any kind of adventure or enduro riding, it's a really good idea to have case guards over your engine's crank case, where the left side gear shift lever and where the right side rear brake lever could potentially hit the engine's crank case in a fall and possible puncture the crank case.

There is a stainless steel fabrication shop 40 meters from where I live & I went round there today and they made some stainless steel engine crank case - case covers/ guards for me today.

fitting case saver.jpg

The left side requires some custom fitting work with cut-outs and raised sections, they did a great job.

case saver zoom.jpg

The stainless steel fabrication shop is 40 meters from Rider's Corner Bar & Restaurant, Chiang Mai, Thailand - from the top of Moon Muang road, the road then turns 90 degrees to the left and the stainless steel fabrication shop is 40 meters down on the left. It is where the "X" is on the map below:

case saver fab cnx map.jpg

This is what the shop looks like:

case saver shop sign.jpg

case saver shop cnx.jpg

case saver shop cnx 1.jpg

To fix the crank case case covers/ guards, the best thing to use © Permatex RTV high temperature silicone, smeared on the inside of each case saver, after first cleaning all the surfaces with alcohol or vinegar. I always use a piece of tape at the top when applying the case guards in case the slide down while the silicone is curing.

rtv ht silicone.jpg

Nice DIY job. Those look just as good as the CFC ones.

This is probably not important on most bikes but the DRZ has a magnesium case that is known to be super brittle so is certainly a must for this bike.

Alex - They did an excellent job --- i'm not even sure of the CFC case savers are stainless steel? they did four case savers (two for each side) for 1,500 bht !!! An absolute bargain. I think i will get some fabricated for the KTM 990 Adv too great for off-road protection.

Should have said man.. I have a spare set of DRZ case savers unused as I saw some nice carbon ones..

Tho I have been looking for that heat proof silicone.

BTW if anyone ever sees a set of billet DRZ cases anywhere online do let me know.. Been hunting for SFB covers for a while.

Kinda odd you can buy all kinds of bling.. But they seem to have stopped fabbing these much needed case covers.

LivinLOS said:
BTW if anyone ever sees a set of billet DRZ cases anywhere online do let me know.. Been hunting for SFB covers for a while.

Kinda odd you can buy all kinds of bling.. But they seem to have stopped fabbing these much needed case covers.

I like the idea of stainless crank case covers, they will be much stronger with a direct hit.. This aluminium case saver just bent in and still fractured the magnesium crank case

case saver broken.jpg

No I mean the full machined billet ones.. Used to be a few makes of them...

0940-0043.jpg

SFBcover.jpg

I can find the odd clutch cover, shark fab, or corona.. But no matching ignition side.

Says the man who keeps buying entire bikes !!

And changes engines more often than socks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Bike Talk 3